Civilization 6 Tweaks And Tips: Map Rotation, City Management, Remove Startup Logos And More

1 of 10

I come to you with knowledge that may help you in your quest to conquer worlds yet to be generated, and will also make the process much more appealing. All of the hours I’ve spent with Civilization 6 [official site] so far have taught me a thing or two, and I’ve filled the gaps in my learning by searching the internet for fixes and quality of life tweaks to address some of my complaints. Below, you’ll find help on managing districts, armies, amenities and the rest, as well as tips on some of the smaller things, like map rotation (yes, it’s possible!) and other camera controls.

You can browse through the pages of these tweaks using the arrows above or below the image at the top, or by using the arrow keys on your own keyboard.

From this site

1. thischarmingman says:

Just want to say thanks for linking the contest earlier! Got the “you won”-email, and it checks out – downloading now. No experience with any of the preceeding CIV games, but I liked Endless Legend. Should I start off on Easy? Any tips for a complete noob?

• Vandelay says:

I’ve not tried it, but there is a tutorial that will probably be your first port of call. You can also set the advisor to “new to Civ”, so she should introduce all the old and new features.

Best advice though is to just jump in and don’t worry if you get 100 turns in and decide you have fucked up and need to restart. I did this myself during my first game, as I hadn’t done any kind of specialisation in my cities and was floundering in a never ending war with Gandhi that was going nowhere.

Now I have restarted and I am leading Cleopatra to a glorious trade empire and spreading the word of my religion, Turtle Power. Not too far away from unlocking aeroplane tech, even though we are in about 1200AD.

As for difficulty to select, Prince I believe is standard, where all is even. Below that you are given some advantages, whilst above the comp Civs are. For a first game, maybe one below Prince would be good. You have experience of 4x, so you won’t want the AI to be too passive.

• Xocrates says:

“You have experience of 4x, so you won’t want the AI to be too passive.”

Not a problem here. The AI is pretty agressive regardless of difficulty, and frankly going by Civ V/BE the AI can be more agressive in lower difficulties because it will happily start wars it cannot win while later AIs will hold back on that front.

Honestly, I’ve played Civ since 3,was playing above Prince on V, and beat BE:Rising Tide on the hardest difficulty, but the early game on VI is hard enough that I was struggling on Chieftain (though past the early game it was fine).

If you’re learning the ropes, I certainly would recommend as easy as possible for the first few games.

• badmothergamer says:

As a fellow Civ vet (since III) I started my first game on settler with the intention of learning the new mechanics then restarting on prince. Within 40 turns I’d been invaded and defeated by Norway. The AI is definitely more aggressive and much easier to anger early if their traits clash with your actions. And it only took 4 warriors to defeat my unwalled capital.

• TheMightyEthan says:

Thank the gods it’s not just me. I’ve been playing on Chieftan and thinking “man, I’m way worse at Civ than I thought I was…”

• Vandelay says:

Interesting. That is really different to my experience so far.

I have only played two games (first I think was one below Prince, current is at Prince.) The first game did go to war pretty quickly, but that was pretty much because I forced it (Gandhi started it! He built his second city close to my borders.)

The game I am currently playing I have remained at peace entirely. I have reached right up to the Industrialisation level of tech with only a couple of threats thrown my way. The land mass I am on just has 3 of us on, which has probably helped, but they seem to be quite content to leave me to create a vast fortune through trade, whilst also booming on my tech. I am currently ranked first on all victory conditions, excluding domination, so it is surprising I am not considered a threat. On the contrary though, the Germans, who have strong military force, are getting on spiffingly with me, whilst relations with the Spanish have been a little more icy, but have strengthened now that they have made the correct choice of adopting my religion.

I will say that the barbarians seem to be more aggressive. You really have to get a military presence in your first 30 or so turns, or they will crush you.

• Someoldguy says:

Yeah you need to pump a couple of units, minimum, to be safe early on. Later it really depends who your neighbours are and what annoys them. I had one game where there were no hostilities before the discovery of gunpowder.

• Carra says:

Yeah, the AI seems to be fairly aggressive. I started a quick game and am sandwiched between the US and Japan on a small continent. They’ve been alternatively attacking me at least three times now. I can still fend them off but makes me wonder if a restart and putting me at the edge of the map would have made things a lot easier.

2. Sian says:

I think barbarians spawning from lack of amenities affects city states too. I’ve one at my border, and periodically barbarians just pop up. I thought there might be a camp somewhere, but couldn’t find it, so I think this is the explanation. Just in case someone’s as confused by this as I was.

Also thanks for clearing up why districts go up in cost. I was told it was dependent on the amount of district a civ owned in order to make wide civs a bit less appealing because right now there’s little reason not to go wide, but that’s out of the window then.

3. Fry says:

Ah, that reddit page has a fix for the inexplicable and infuriating way they implemented top edge scrolling. Thanks.

4. laiwm says:

Pity me – I’m currently experiencing an unavoidable crash during the AI turn, just as I’m poised to move into the endgame (turn number is in the high 300s). Tried doing different things before hitting end turn to see if I can stop the AI from making its fatal error, but no luck so far. Guess I’m starting over…

5. Jason1701 says:

Isn’t it just easiest to left-click and drag the map?

6. Freud says:

Civilization has turned into one of those games where I just wait a few years for the inevitable GOTY/Gold edition, where all the added stuff is included.

• plsgodontvisitheforums says:

Can I please have a COTY where all these comments are bundled into one, and have everyone stop posting these already… It’s not two-thousand-and-bloody-ten anymore!

Nauallis says:

These are great tips and mechanics info, thanks. Just knowing that the options are there will help.

8. emily riposte says:

Am I missing something, or did they just inexplicably decide not to have a keyboard toggle for tile yields?

• badmothergamer says:

They definitely need to add more hotkeys. I’d like to have one to switch between the regular map view and the strategic view.

9. cardigait says:

Any tips on why and how to avoid the UI spamming missionaries on you ?
    On warchief i have Greece sending at least 3 waves of 6-8 missionaries, which is improbable and quite boring

• Sian says:

I seem to get less or no missionaries if I don’t have open borders, but it might be that the AI had just run out of faith to spend by that time and the other civs weren’t interested/ready to send their missionaries at me.

A better defence is having an apostle start the inquisition and defending your lands with inquisitors. They’re pityful outside of your borders, but quite capable of out-debating missionaries once they’re at your doorstep. They’re also cheaper than apostles. And just in case you didn’t know: religious units heal only when on or adjacent to a holy site.

Edit: To better your chances you can also select theocracy as your government, which gives +5 to religous combat strength, and there’s an economic policy that adds another +5.

SuddenSight says:

“And just in case you didn’t know: religious units heal only when on or adjacent to a holy site.”

THANK YOU! I had no idea, and this is yet another thing that isn’t explained. Love this game, but I really hope they improve the help files and tooltips (and UI for that matter) in future patches.

• Joriath says:

I’ve found if you stick a missionary or apostle on a holy site close to a city, the AI will try and destroy your unit first with apostles – clear the way for their own missionaries – however with the healing power of the Holy Site, more often than not you eventually come out on top. It’s exploiting some weird AI logic (i.e. AI still attacks even if they will be destroyed) but it helps counter the AI missionary/apostle spam.

• cardigait says:

Thanks, nice tips, the holy site heal should really be in the official help!

X_kot says:

Regarding districts: if you have the city detail tab open (left side), there are three buttons at the top; the middle one is the relevant one. It will state “x out of y,” where x is the number of current districts and y is capacity. I believe that y depends on the size of the city, and trying to exceed that amount will add a huge surcharge to the construction. Much as your cities can grow their population in excess of housing, you can build above your sustainable threshold with penalties.

SuddenSight says:

Thanks for this. The tooltip for districts says the number allowed depends on the population, but I couldn’t find where that number was actually stated.

• Sian says:

“I believe that y depends on the size of the city, and trying to exceed that amount will add a huge surcharge to the construction.”

The capacity definitely depends on the city, and the number of districts allowed is one with one pop, then another every three pop after that (4, 7, 10 …). However, you can’t exceed that number. The game simply won’t let you build a district if you don’t have the capacity. I don’t know what happens should you lose pop during construction, but I’m guessing it’ll just stop production.

X_kot says:

Good clarification! I wonder if the number of turns it takes to build a district at capacity equals the projected turns until you reach the required population?

11. Frings says:

The best use I’ve made of “extra” Great People so far has been on a multiplayer match against a friend who was on a sure-fire route to a Religious route…

Except that I, on my unsure way through “um, probably Tourism/Culture?”, had managed to churn out 33 great people in my civ. That meant so many writers, artists, musicians and whatnot with nowhere to put their works, and with me having nothing to do with them other than eternally skipping their turns.

Well, that, and building a Great People human barrier around three of my cities so that my friend’s religious units wouldn’t be able to actually reach the cities to convert them.

Ended up turning the game around and reaching the culture victory because of the likes of Jane Austen and Van Gogh defending my cities against the onslaught of religion with their very bodies.

That was surely a satisfying win, if pretty baffling.

• Frings says:

You can kind of see what I mean here: link to steamcommunity.com

By this point I was churning out tourism buildings wherever I could and rotating great people out with cheap units like builders with one action left and early-age military units. (And side-eying the heck out of Rome’s army…)

12. monsieurZb says:

Is there a way to not have Philip II as an opponent? I played 7 games so far (not always to completion, mind you) and he was there EVERY TIME and attacked me 10 turns after we met EVERY. FRIGGIN’. TIME. I’m really sick of fending off waves of Spaniard warriors during the early game. The Spanish Inquisition has never been so predictable.

13. Neurotic says:

What do we think of Sean Bean in this one? I love his voice, but he reads the commas like full-stops. i.e., very sloowly. :D

14. Jambe says:

This has doubtless been posted on other such articles, but it’d be convenient if the images used in these slideshows were padded such that clicking the arrows leaves them in the same vertical position each time.

Thanks especially for the WASD scrolling tip.

15. asmodemus says:

Finished my first game.

Just generally speaking, as someone who played lots of Civ 1 and 2 and just dipped my toes in the later ones, while a great game there feels like a real lack of *magic* compared to early versions.

Wonders feel awfully like +2 or -2 to random stat. Once upon a time they had a decent chance of completely changing the game. Things like revealing the entire map, automatically learning other people’s tech advances and a bunch of other things that felt much more meaningful than a slight bump to *insert statistic here*.

The other gripe I have, which I do recall from Civ 5 is what the hell is up with the pitiful features when you win a game? For something that takes a huge amount of time they could AT LEAST give us some statistics and tables. Civ 1 showed graphs of Civilizations rises and falls. It showed your best city, it listed your wonders. It showed your population. What happened to all those great little additions to the end game?

Would it really be so hard to have a few graphs? Go a little beyond the (we haven’t changed them from Civ 1 comparisons to historical leaders) and add the same feature to things like levels of wealth *you were as rich as Crassus* and military might *you were as mighty as Ghengis Khan*. How about showing some interesting general game numbers like total cultural production for each civ since game start and total science production. It didn’t even list how many future techs and repetitions of the final culture advances you made. There’s no way to compare any two games other than a nebulous score.

Having said all that, the interface is rather hidden so perhaps all this was in the game the whole time and I never saw it.

Either way, winning the game is a letdown and could SO EASILY be a wonderful experience.

16. Aetylus says:

I do find it odd that for a such a slick franchise as Civ, the UI seems like such a step backwards. It feels like a decent tablet interface… but lacking basics like functional tool-tips and simple lists/ledgers. This entire article is basically UI patching 101.

Comment on this story