Ugh, Civilization VI Seems Not To Be A Mess, Jeez, Thx

If you played Civilization VI [official site] over the weekend, you likely noticed that, technically, the game basically runs fine. It’s fine. A few folks have reported minor bugs – which largely have workarounds – but no, it seems most people are playing Civ VI without problem. That’s fine for you, I’m sure, but what about me? What about the video game news writers? I’ve been checking every morning for patches, devastating bug reports, and apologies from publishers 2K, apologies that they’ve muffed it up like their recent BioShock Remastered and Mafia III launches but… no. Okay then. Great. Good. Lovely. And what do you propose I write this morning, you jackasses?

Nuke It From Orbit: Civilization VI Must Perish

Civilization VI Praying For The End Times

Civ 6: The Lone And Level Sands Stretch Far Away

2K Fiddle While Civilization VI Burns

We Should’ve Stayed In The Seas: The Horrors Of Civilization

Not those. I can’t write those posts, because Civilization VI is basically fine. Lick me, Firaxis.

Some folks have reported a few bugs, like trouble getting it to load or suffering glitchy audio, but those problems are resolved with simple fixes. Check out this Civ Reddit thread for fixes to those and more.

Couldn’t someone from 2K ritually mutilate themself on live television in apology? Drill through their ears to recreate the audio glitches? Anything?

Thanks for nothing, everyone. Adam will tell you that Civ 6 is smashing, Pip will tell you tales of her empire, and Alec will slip on his beret to muse but what about me? What about news writers, 2K? What about me? What about me.

From this site

1. MrLoque says:

I would like to try it but I can’t stand the cringeworty user interface :-|

• fn8rd says:

Truth be spoken here!

Bought the thing bundled with the Steam-Controller because, hey, if Civ ain’t the game to play on my glorious 47″ about a couch-to-telly length removed from the action, then what? Guess not.

And don’t get me started on newbie-friendlyness… I’m speaking as someone who’s been with the series since Civ 1 – telling me what set’s this Civ’s Stonehenge apart from V’s would have been just fine. Instead I get to choose between clicking an as-of-yet nondescript Icon or hitting at myself with a whole civilopedia enries’s worth of 12pt smallprint.

Still enjoying it, though.

Nauallis says:

Ack, you hit it right on the head. It’s the “what’s different” that’s so badly pointed out. I used the “new to civilization VI” option when starting a new game, but there are a ton of features that just aren’t explained except through playing with them. Especially district bonuses and adjacency bonuses.

That’s probably my biggest gripe. I haven’t figured out a great strategy or how to plan long-term for city placement (beyond access to visible resources), mostly because I don’t know what yields will be useful in the long-game.

That said, it’s pretty great generally.

• DThor says:

Yup, agreed. It feels like Barbie meets The Sims, there’s this insufferable cutesyness which straddles a painfully PC surface layer and a strangely white sense of humour(the quotes that Mr Bean delivers seem like they only acknowledge Anglo humourists and references, sometimes quite disrespectfully). Speaking of that instantly recognizable thespian, I love his work but for some inexplicable reason I cannot focus on important information on the screen when he’s reading aloud text that’s printed right in front of me. I know this isn’t new, but for some reason I found it distracting as hell. Yes, click through.
      It took me a solid day of playing to start to see the old Civ peeking through, seriously. I didn’t want to miss any critical new things so I didn’t mute/speed up anything except for enabling the appreciated “new to Civ 6” option. I don’t understand the mindset with the devs – they notably gave an *entire page* to the option for bypassing that horrible opening cinematic, but still *force you* to sit through every Disney-esque animation of world leaders.
      I might eventually get to enjoy the game…

• TheMightyEthan says:

Hitting Esc skips through the world leader animations.

• Eightball says:

>a strangely white sense of humour(the quotes that Mr Bean delivers seem like they only acknowledge Anglo humourists and references, sometimes quite disrespectfully).

Kind of a weird complaint. You know that Americans (the large majority of the people who work at Firaxis) are cultural descendants of the English, right?

• klops says:

I sort of agree, but the culture and the humour is still quite different. I haven’t seen much Monty Pythonesque stuff from the States, for example.

-Edit- Also that line beings me an image of The Mr. Bean, Rovan Atkinson, delivering the quotes.

• Eightball says:

We may not produce it but there are a lot of fans of it here.

• Universal Quitter says:

Python-esque? Would that be the surreal absurdity, or the rampant crossdressing, because we have both in North America.

It’s not just cheese-whiz and Larry the Cable Guy for thousands of square miles. We do other stuff, too.

• klops says:

Sure you do. I’d still say that the humour differs even though lots of North America used to be part of Britain.

• Frank says:

Okay, except that’s not what people like me think of when talking about user interface. After a city completes a project, it reports the *previous* project as having just been completed. More broadly, it doesn’t update anything on the fly, with most of it only happening on the next turn. The art and other fluff, like Bean’s lines, are a separate thing.

• RedDragon says:

You can turn off leader animations in the advanced graphics options.

• backlikeclap says:

Agreed. I’ve played about 6 hours this weekend and I feel like I’m constantly fighting against the game. Some of the things left out of the UI just feel crazy, like why WOULDN’T you include a restart game button? Do they not know how people play Civ?

And then there’s issues with the game itself – mainly that movement feels like a chore, the leader screen animations are annoying and the screens themselves are wonky, combat AI is at least as bad as it was in Civ 5 (why would you attack a city that is defended by three archers and walls with a force of 12 warriors and no ranged units??), diplomacy/trading is terrible, and there is no way to plan your city growth without a cheatsheet of district and wonder adjacency bonuses.

I will definitely buy it after a few expansion packs are out, but it’s just not good enough right now.

(Though as I’m writing this I find myself itching to play again, so it’s doing something right!)

• Radoico says:

I’ve had terrible problems to run Civ VI from Steam, it is not true that it is ok! I’ve opened a ticket at 2k and search in the Internet for a solution. And I found one after 2 days struggling with the nonsense of a frozen screen, doing nothing! It was terrible! Finally, I’ve got a solution and solved the problem, the game is really superb. Steam and 2k must talk before launching a game of this size.

• Everblue says:

Indeed – I had issues too. I played about 10 hours, but suddenly it’s started making the system freeze on loading. The whole computer seizes up. I tried running steam in admin mode, which was the suggested fix, but nothing works. Refund request submitted…

• BluePencil says:

Did you download (or have automatically downloaded for you) Nvidia’s latest graphics drivers? Some people had a minor problem with the game, downloaded the latest Nvidia graphics drivers (which include a special Civ6 specialised update) hoping for a fix and now have your – much worse – problem.

I don’t know what to do in my case (spoken about in detail below) where I had a very late game crash which repeated. It’s pretty difficult to muster the enthusiasm to start a game if I may end up getting another late game situation where I simply can’t finish the run.

I ended up playing Stellaris today instead.

• Zenicetus says:

It’s the overall look of the game that I find cringeworthy, so I haven’t even gotten to the point of disliking the interface.

I would probably pick this up right away as a game to run on my iPad, which is where it looks like it belongs.

MattW says:

#slowclap

3. Ghostwise says:

We could always complain that the Vengabus doesn’t appear as a Great Person. A clear sign that the game is terrible.

4. Asokn says:

I’ve had a couple of bugs and a few things which indicate a lack of polish but nothing major. The only real bug is that I met Ghandi, he immediately declared war on me (no issue there!) but then I instantly got a diplomacy screen featuring my own Japanese avatar denouncing me while the text referred to being denounced by the Russians, who as far as I am aware are not even in the game I’m playing!

• Sian says:

Oh, the Russians are there. You just haven’t found them yet. This happens when a leader that knows you convinces a leader who doesn’t to declare a joint war on you. Funny thing is, you likely won’t be seeing the other civ sending units your way because they don’t know where you are. I was in a war with Japan (also Gandhi’s fault) for centuries because I didn’t bother looking for them, and never saw a single unit. Gandhi himself asked for peace before we really clashed. As the least advanced civ in the game he probably realised that going up against the most advanced one wasn’t a wise move.

• klops says:

Is it a bug if the roads don’t make you move faster? The game claims they do but nothing changes, at least during ancient and classic era.

• RedDragon says:

Ancient era roads reduce all movement costs to one, while classical roads just add bridges over water, which reduces the cost of crossing a river to one. The industrial and modern era roads reduce movement cost to below one per tile.

5. SamLR says:

Civ VI: apparently fewer problems than real Civ

6. JayArr says:

It is nice and polished, but I still had a war declared on me by Frederick Barbarossa, despite playing as Frederick Barbarossa. That was a surprise.

7. eljueta says:

I’d love to try it but i still haven’t managed to play Battlefield so no time :(

8. Bull0 says:

The UI has badly regressed from Civ V and I’ve noticed lots of minor UI bugs to boot. I like it otherwise, but yeah, a lot of the time information is not where I’d expect it to be and not in the Civilopedia either. Oh, I increased Rome’s christianity by 220? Great! What the fuck does that actually mean?

I can launch an inquisition with my promoted Apostle? Great! The fuck does that do?

• Xocrates says:

Civ VI is weird in that it manages to both give you too much information and not enough.

Like, I still have no idea how the amenity system works, and if there is a way to know when your borders will expand I haven’t found it.

• Archonsod says:

They’re all covered in the Civopedia. Which to be fair is the same as every Civ game since the first.

Although even there they’ve improved the usability for general reading (the landing page takes you through a quick ‘how to play’ style thing before discussing concepts, and the individual units et al are on their own tabs rather than being mixed in) and as far as I can see the search function works fine, so they’re still annoyingly short of things to complain about. They even include ‘how to …’ style information rather than just telling you about the concept and expecting you to run with it as they did in previous versions.

• Xocrates says:

I’ve used the civopedia whenever I couldn’t figure something out, and more often than not it still failed to properly explain it.

This may be something as simple as lack of decent cross-referencing but it ultimately leads to the same overall problem: There is a lot of information on Civ VI that is strangely obfuscated.

• Bull0 says:

Agreed, but to avoid sounding like a debbie downer I want to make clear I’m enjoying the game and it casually dominated my weekend. It’s got bundles of charm and plenty of depth, but the depth is hindered a bit by the weak explanation. That’s all.

• Xocrates says:

Same. I’m still getting the hang of the game, so I’m still not super sure on how much I like it, but I certainly cannot argue that’s a very well constructed game.

• klops says:

Same here. I enjoy it very much, but the UI and the Civilopedia needs a total overhaul.

Also, I’d appreciate a mod that mutes the silly-billy quotes. And also removes them in the text description. Paolo Coelhfuuck!

• Bull0 says:

I couldnt find an explanation of the actions my apostle could do in the Civilopedia, which is… why I said that.

Mungrul says:

Repairing bloody districts isn’t covered in the Civilopedia though, ‘cos I went looking for that last night. Normal tiles? Repaired by builders. Districts? Nope, repaired by choosing to repair them in the construction queue for the city.
        Rassen, and indeed frassen.

• toryan says:

How do you get builders to repair tiles? I had a bunch of pillaged farms that I had to demolish and rebuild.

• mrentropy5 says:

“How do you get builders to repair tiles?”

Move the builder onto the damaged tile and there should be an option to repair it. I think the icon is a wrench. Maybe. I don’t remember. But it should be an option. I don’t think it uses a “Use”, either.

• _Amnesiac_ says:

Evangelize Belief – This allows you to add in extra Tenets to your Religion (on top of your Pantheon and Religion bonuses)
      Launch Inquisition – Allows Inquisitors to be recruited
      Spread Religion – Like Missionaries, Apostles can spread religion. They have a chance for promotions that make them better at it, however.

9. King in Winter says:

So, I’ve been wondering. Let’s assume there’s Civ A that hates Civ B with all their might, and the feeling is mutual. If I swoop in and destroy Civ B, how much will Civ A love me for it?

• BTAxis says:

They will denounce you for being a warmonger.

• Xocrates says:

They’ll hate you for it for declaring an unjust war, on the same continent, while having more wonders than Civ A.

Or they’ll just hate you. That happens too.

• DeadCanDance says:

If it was endless legend, you would get an educated compliment.

• Jeremy says:

I had a situation like that happen yesterday. I declared war on England since they were kind of being dicks and mocking my military while they had slingers and warriors still, also, I needed a city on the new continent, so London it was! Anyway, Japan sent me back to back messages. One saying that my crimes would be remembered (warmonger), but the second one was something about respecting my strength and civilization. So.. ?? Not sure what that all means. I haven’t figured out much about the game yet, just sort of playing a first map and then I’ll try and fill in the gaps of knowledge, which I’m discovering are rather larger than I had hoped.

tbourden says:

If you’re looking for bad news on civ6 you can start with being a regression in terms of UI (awful awful) and AI still being so frustratingly incompetent.

Still the game is fun! Hope they manage to do something about the UI/AI though.

• Chalky says:

I’m looking forward to the first patch which will hopefully clear up some of the AI problems. The UI isn’t too terrible in my experience, but it can be really fiddly at times and good luck knowing what overall impact things like civic changes will make until it’s too late.

distantlurker says:

No sentry button tho.

Nauallis says:

This was a bizarre omission, looking for it yesterday. Given that Civ 5 has all three of sleep/wait, fortify/hold, and sentry/fortify, and then Beyond Earth uses only sleep/wait and sentry/fortify, which seems like a better way to do it.

• C0llic says:

The UI is awful. I wish I knew how to mod such things. So many very basic things are missing or very badly presented. Like the ‘yields’ report that either allows you to view gold, production etc for your whole empire combined (frankly useless), or as a huge expanded list per city with totals at the bottom (taking up the majority of the window), making easy comparison between cities impossible.

No option for a simple comparison of the individual city totals at a glance. Table headers that allow you to sort by category? Nope. Madness.

It’s still a great game, but by god, I’m shocked at how much of a mess they made of it.

• noodlecake says:

I think you probably have to be in the top 5% of Civ players to experience the AI being bad. I’ve tried so hard not to suck at civ games. Watching tutorials/let’s plays, retrying over and over. I still get my ass handed to me on Prince. Even moreso on civ 6 than civ 5. At school I was probably the best at Maths in my entire year, but for some reason I’m no good at Civ!

I still enjoy it though.

• Hidoshi says:

Tips:
        – Don’t settle for 1 city, make at least 3.
        – Always have a small army. 1 unit for each city and then 2 or 3 more in total(in the early game).
        – Either save up money for an emergency army (against barbarians) or to instantly build a granary + builder in a new city

For me, these are the basics to surviving and hopefully they will help you too.

• Xocrates says:

“– Always have a small army. 1 unit for each city and then 2 or 3 more in total(in the early game)”

And hope the AI doesn’t attack you before you research walls. Because this will not stop them.

Seriously, I had an AI attack me on about turn 30 with some 8+ warriors in one of the lowest difficulties, frankly I suspect they had done nothing else in the game so far.

You can, maybe, defend this sort of attack with those troops, but you definitely need to be aware that the AI is super aggressive in the early game.

• Hidoshi says:

It’s not just about defending with those units, but also army pressure. If you have no army, AI will always see you as weak and attack you. If you have an army, the AI will not threaten you or attack you most of the time (there are sometimes exceptions, like montezuma in Civ 5)

• Xocrates says:

Except I did have an army, my city even had a garrison, but most of it was busy chasing barbarians, and since this was ancient era and you have open borders the AI just marched right in before declaring war – meaning I had neither the time or resources to set up a defense.

Mind you, this was before I figured out you need walls for your cities to be able to attack, so I left it a lot more defenseless than I should have.

That said, I still find the AI going for an all out war when everyone was still on 1 city to be surprisingly aggressive.

Nauallis says:

This happened on my very first game. What made it worse was that it was Sumeria, who has the war chariot special unit, which isn’t weak to anything, and I had yet to figure out that I couldn’t use my city to defend itself until I researched and built walls. I had a rage-quit moment (at 2am).

If other people are commonly having the experience of aggressive warmonger AI on their first games, I can understand some of the angst this game is getting for “bad AI”. Not that it’s necessarily the AI that is bad, but it’s way more aggressive than Civ 5 or Beyond Earth.

• Sian says:

“– Don’t settle for 1 city, make at least 3.”
          The magic number here seems to be four, as you get four amenities per luxury type, unless you’re the Aztecs who get six. At least one city state also grants two amenities worth six. Amenities are one of the ways the game discourages you from going wide (the others seem to be more expensive settlers and districts the more you built and the limited amount of spies you get to protect your districts from enemies).

X_kot says:

Another tip, this one going back to my days of Civ II: use your units to zone your opponents. The lack of closed borders early on is a problem, but you can create temporary borders with units. Build some extra scouts (cheap and mobile) until you get chariots/horsemen, and then ascertain where your opponents will be coming from. Camp in a line to prevent them from moving through you; note that multiple tiles of flat terrain will allow them to bypass you entirely, so set your perimeter along rough terrain (this will stop slow melee/ranged units). I’ve also used this trick to steer sneaky settlers away from areas I’ve earmarked for future expansion.

• backlikeclap says:

Prioritize growth, and make sure you have better ranged unit tech than the AI.

In both civ 5 and 6 just 3 or 4 ranged units can defeat an entire invading force if they prioritize taking melee units down to just a sliver of health – the melee units destroy themselves attacking your city, while keeping the full health melee units behind them from moving into place to attack, which also helps keep their ranged units away from your city. When you destroy all of the invading armies melee units, the AI will usually retreat even if they have a ton of ranged units left.

• Frank says:

When I talk about the AI being bad, I mean the combat AI. If you engage it near water, the AI units will go into the water and be defenseless. I mean, it’s kind of fun in the same way an FPS is, with the odds way in the player’s favor, but it doesn’t feel like a balanced strategy game with AI that has the slightest clue how to navigate it.

The changes to the AI this time around, giving leaders personality and making it clear why they’re going to war, is a big step forward, in my opinion. Bad combat AI is partly just the price of one unit per tile, and I’ll take it.

11. upshaker says:

There is one game-breaking bug, though. For some unfathomable reason, Civ 6 sometimes decides to screw your save by crashing to desktop whenever you capture a city. This happens mid-game, and can happen even when you are able to capture cities in earlier eras. I’ve seen a few players complaining about the same issue on the 2K and Steam forums. None of us have a fix for this other than to stop conquering or start a new save.

There’s also the issue of leaving a spy in a city that was razed to the ground. The spy will be left on the tile. If the spy’s mission-prompt screen pops up, your game will CTD. You have to delete the spy before this happens.

Kryzn says:

I have the crash to desktop problem. Even worse, I finally wanted to go for a domination victory. 2K support suggested I reinstall my directx. I am sure that will fix the problem /s .

keefybabe says:

I HEART THIS POST!

13. hale-bob says:

Easy, just try playing a multiplayer game. It’s the usual mess, so plenty to gripe about.

14. MuscleHorse says:

The quotations for wonders and technology are easily the worst feature. Some of them are literally taken from shitty travel blogs – look at the Chichen Itza one for example. It smacks of a bored intern going “that’ll do.”

• Archonsod says:

Yeah, but the techs have multiple quotes this time. Plus they included two from Pratchett this time so I’ll forgive them.

Oooh, there’s an issue – they got Sean Bean to do the narration, but they didn’t get him to do something silly like Nimoy’s ‘Beep, Beep, Beep’ quote. Missed opportunity there.

Which comes to the main problem – Sean Bean doesn’t die at the end.

Harlander says:

Maybe they should add a quote for early firearms tech:

“They couldn’t hit an elephant at this distance!” – John Sedgwick

Then at least he’ll die in the middle.

• Henas says:

They did get him quote Monty Python though.

Didn’t get tired of Mr Bean saying “watery tart”.

• godunow says:

Yup, quotes are terrible, especially in Antique and Medieval eras (“Those who in quarells interpose must often wipe the bloody nose”). It gets better as we come closer to Modern/Atomic/Information era – Mass Media is great with Mark Twain’s “If you don’t read the newspaper, you’re uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you’re mis-informed.”

• C0llic says:

Have to agree that many of the quotes are lacking this time. Re-use an old one if you have to. Really, we won’t mind, and we’d rather that than having any old thing desperately shoe-horned in.

There’s a finite number of ‘good’ quotes for such things, and that’s okay.

ffordesoon says:

Yeah, I’ve definitely hit some quotes that make me go, “…I guess? Kind of?”

That we’re complaining about the quotes chosen does seem to suggest that the game is pretty astonishingly terrific, though. Like, the worst thing I can say about it is that the UI needs a few tweaks that could easily be resolved in a couple of patches. It’s a fantastic game.

15. phelix says:

Dear author: Both the “Bioshock” and “Mafia III” links refer to the same article. Please fix. Thanks!

16. Strabo says:

It’s as bit of a mess. Quite a bit of design mistakes and bugs. Funniest to me is every time I trade with someone my traders, ladies in waiting, spies breathlessly telling me that “Rome (my faction) now trades with Spain!”. Yeah, duh.

17. Someoldguy says:

It’s not exactly bug free. Played to 1822 AD with a number of breaks along the way. Today attempting to load that save or any associated autosave results in Civ 6 failing to respond and in some cases refusing to let you switch to task manager to kill it. That’s a ton of hours completely wasted if the game is unrecoverable.

• not-the-beez says:

Regarding unresponsive loads, just restart the game. Had this happen to me after (weirdly) clicking resume game and having it load into the benchmark tool, and I had control of the units, so loaded my actual save and it froze. Had a lot of issues with civ v saves ever, so had a major panic moment, but yeah, just try restarting the game x

18. Jay Load says:

GAME RELEASED IN DECENT CONDITION SHOCK! (in other news, temperatures plummet in hell, first ever warning of frost issued)

19. C0llic says:

In answer to the author’s question, you could write about the Vengabus. It must have got here by now.

20. Sardonic says:

I didn’t encounter many bugs on my first game, but I have to say the auto-explore function is extremely stupid. It seems to prioritize exploring the polar regions like some sort of stupid robo-shackleton over actually finding places where other people live.

21. mrentropy5 says:

I dunno. I constantly encounter an issue where it’ll highlight one unit and center it on the screen, yet it shows info for a different unit and takes input for that unit.

For instance, I have two builders: one on the west side of the empire and one on the east side. The one in the west is on a tile to build a farm, the one in the east is on a tile to build a quarry. The game centers and highlights the west builder, but is suggesting to build a quarry on the big empty grass plain. I get confused and decide to move the worker AND THEN it centers the east builder and shows the unit start moving to the other side of the empire.

In addition to that, when a unit is done with its turn and it auto advances to the next unit, it’ll select the next unit for about as long enough as it takes to make a move or skip a turn and then move to the NEXT unit and have that order apply to SECOND unit instead. If I wait a couple of seconds I can see it select a unit, wait, and then move to a different unit.

22. Phantasma says:

I just requested my first refund whatsoever.
    True, in comparison to V the new CIV is much more polished and stable at launch but the user interface, the most important part of any strategy game, is a mess. After 6 years since the last iteration and 30 years of TBS experience Firaxis should really know and do better.

And while the tablet graphics (and some of the UI decisions, which clearly hint at a later port) are not to my taste, that was not a factor for returning the game.
    But cutesy Cloe and burly Barbarossa can’t compensate for every second player action being a chore.

I hope the actual depth is there and i can return to it later, when the kinks are ironed out, but polished means more to me than just spiffy art and little crashing.

Edit (oh my, that feels so good): And i don’t understand the insane loading times. When my huge Stellaris lategame galaxy loads in under 10 seconds i’d strongly suggest a new engine for the next CIV. I didn’t buy a new rig with a fast SSD, loads of RAM and a beastly GPU to get bored while the game loads a small map (at turn 20) full of cartoon characters.

• Sian says:

“And i don’t understand the insane loading times. When my huge Stellaris lategame galaxy loads in under 10 seconds i’d strongly suggest a new engine for the next CIV. I didn’t buy a new rig with a fast SSD, loads of RAM and a beastly GPU to get bored while the game loads a small map (at turn 20) full of cartoon characters.”

It is a new engine.

If the maps are similar in size to those of Civ V, a small map contains 66×42 = 2772 tiles. Granted, the difference in load times is still huge and I simply don’t know enough to tell whether Firaxis could’ve done better, but it’s worth remembering how much information even a small map in Civ contains.

I also doubt that the graphics and UI hint at a port from tablet, since a) a tablet version isn’t announced and b) the system requirements are too high for this game to ever work on one. Those load times you’re so fed up about? They’d be much, much worse. The game was never intended for tablets.

• Phantasma says:

I get what you’re saying but still not convinced.

Remember, Stellaris isn’t just a few balls of light and a few nebula effects on the main map. Stacks of ships, with unique customized loadouts to keep track of. And there arent’t even (visible) grids for where they are positioned. Pops who are more than just a number counter etc.
        now i can’t and won’t decide which of those two might be more computational expensive but i’m sure Stellaris (or other competitors for that matter)probably don’t have to handle MUCH less stuff going on compared to CIV.

Oh and i have to disagree on the tablet part. Sure, it is too demanding for touchscreen devices right now but things like swipe the mouse to move units or the default map scrolling mode being click and drag (border scrolling is even disabled by default) give me a strong impression they already had tablets (or at least touch screens) in mind.

Edit (still feels good): Do you have a link for the claim of a new engine?
        After numerous PR sheenaningans (Skyrim and their totally new “Creation” engine comes to mind) i always take those with a grain of salt. Especially with franchise sequels.

• FriendlyFire says:

It’s *significantly* more costly to generate Civ’s map, which is procedurally generated using various heavily modified tiles that are then seeded with props and buildings, than Stellaris, which just has a handful of planet textures and simplistic ship graphics made out of a very limited selection of components.

At a guess, I’d imagine that asset loading accounts for a big part of Civ’s loading times, which isn’t something Stellaris has to struggle with.

• Zenicetus says:

A tablet port would run on a different and stripped-down engine as always, but it’s the art style (and possibly some aspects of the UI) that screams “designed for a mobile game” to me.

Maybe I’m wrong, but it looks to me like Firaxis wants to tie together their PC and eventual mobile versions of Civ with the same art style, and so we’re seeing art assets designed for legibility on small screens. The cartoon leaders will be a perfect fit for a smaller screen/mobile version too. It’s a big step backwards from Civ V and Beyond Earth, which at least look like proper PC games.

23. fenriz says:

ooh i have an idea: your posts might be about checking if the game’s actually challenging or for the mainstream numbnuts!

That’ll be groundbreaking journalism… because you’ll have to find another job.

24. klops says:

My biggest problem with Civ VI and other 4x games since Colonization in the 90s is that I cannot bring myself to finish them. Or actually the “problem” is that I love the starting age with all its possibilities and geographic discovery – especially in Civ VI: “Oooh! What a place to choke the other civs’ int their corner, what a fertile valley, what a culture spot, etc.”

I played 8 hours yesterday. Today I’m looking at the save where my continent is already explored almost spaceless and barbarianless and my units everywhere and bleh. I’ll just start a new game and be happy with it.

• Eightball says:

I think I’d like a sort of “first 20 turns of civ” game. Maybe one that extrapolates out how you do automatically at the end super fast.

25. BluePencil says:

I find myself pretty angry at this RPS post. If you go on Steam or CivFanatics you can find a great many people complaining their game either doesn’t work at all or crashes during gameplay.

I seem to have a broken game myself. I’m hundreds of turns into my first game and it crashed to desktop. I started it up, loaded the closest save to where I was, took a couple of turns and it seemed to crash at about the same point again.

So I presently feel that the many hours I put into that run are lost which is made even worse by the fact that the previous 100 turns had been utterly tedious. I was going for the science victory and I was at peace for a very long duration. It was agonising to deal with small boring trades just wanting to get to ‘next turn’ in order to build the space modules I needed to win.

Surely you looked at the Steam forums before writing this? It’s really easy to find people who can’t get the game to run at all. While others suggest that there’s minor problems when the game does run. For example, some people have noticed that the display that informs you where civs are in getting to the win conditions stops updating (I had this problem too). Also I had a problem where the notification column would tell me I had a unit promotion available: I’d click it and it would take me to the unit but the unit promotion icon wasn’t there, so I had lots of units that had earned a promotion but no way to promote them. Others have reported that some bonuses to yields are not applied.

Please do an update to this post to set the record straight or a follow up post after doing some more research.

26. SadOldGuy says:

I had some minor problems with the UI being giving me information about the wrong items. It is also taking me some time to get used to how much more aggressive barbarians are in this game. And like others noted before, I would like to have a way to restart with the same settings as before if I roll a bad starting location.

I started looking for Civ 6 tutorials and instead found tons of Civ 5 tutorials on YouTube. Wow, people are really aggressive in forcing City States to give tribute and stealing workers left and right. And I don’t usually declare war on anyone unless they send prophets to my lands or won’t stop spying on me or keep demanding tribute from one of my protected city states; apparently I am quite the wimp.

27. Poolback says:

I believe I had a bug where I couldn’t capture a city. Everytime I clicked on it, it was showing me an attacking animation, and a unit dying. The heatlh bar was clearly 0, and I would attack them over and over with all of my units, instead of walking to capture the city. But then the next turn, the dead unit would rise up and get 25 HP. I kept killing that phantom unit for at least 30 turns.

But maybe, they had an insane amount of unit, all stacked-up in that city tile, laughing at my meaningless attempts.

28. wondermoth says:

This is a joke, right? It’s bugged beyond satire. It can’t even accurately tell me what I’ve just built in my cities.

“COMPLETED: ENTERTAINMENT COMPLEX”. Err, nope. A Builder, actually, but good guess!

I’ve never been gaslighted by a game before. This “feature” makes the Insanity Effects in Eternal Darkness look tame. Just one of many ways the thing is still in Alpha. Even allowing for our wonderful modern gaming world, where you get to pay full price to be a beta tester, it’s a pisstake.

29. Hoboticus says:

Sid Meier games without Sid Meier is beter than any Tom Clancy game without Tom Clancy

Comment on this story