Steam Charts: 4 x 4X

As I predicted, so it shall soon come to pass. The same game in no less than four slots in the Steam chart (comprising, as always, those games which sold best over the past week). Out, damn top-spot hoggers.

1. Sid Meier’s Civilization VI

Unsurprising. Welcome, even. I like Civ VI, although the diplomacy is a bit frustrating.

2. Sid Meier’s Civilization VI

And don’t get me started on Housing.

3. Sid Meier’s Civilization VI

Amenities, meanwhile, are the very devil.

4. Sid Meier’s Civilization VI

Great Caesar’s ghost, wait one cotton-pickin’ minute. What’s going on here, then? Well, it’s simple. Horrific, but simple. Both the Civ VI standard edition and Deluxe edition are doing well for themselves. However, come release on the 21st, it switched from pre-order versions to standard versions. And pre-order versions include access to the Aztec faction, which are cruelly, pointlessly and extremely stupidly locked off from non-preorder versions for a month. Hence, four different Civ VIs in an entirely ridiculous chart. Don’t shoot the envoy, please.

5. Fallout 4

Bethesda’s big gun arrives back in the charts thanks to a still-ongoing 50% off sale ($30/£20 – there’s one thing mercifully immune to Britain’s own post-apocalypse, for now at least), perhaps to promote the upcoming Skyrim special edition. The sale only lasts for five hours, so turn a broken toaster and some irradiated meatloaf into some skates, then get them on.

6. Football Manager 2017

(N.b. I do not have opinions about teams, but these gave me a rare sense of fellowship with a millionaire who shouts at people for a living.)

7. DOOM

Down to just £20/$30 for the next five hours, which is a bloody good deal. DOOM’s spent most of 2016 at a cut-price, and it rather seems to be working. ‘Course, there was also a big ol’ free update released for it last week too, including an arcade mode.

8. Shadow Warrior 2

The closest we’ve got here to something that isn’t a mega-budget corporate surefire hit, depending on how one feels about Football Manager’s SEGA ownership, and in fact it’d be at number five if all those Civs were combined into one as they should be. In other words, it’s party time round Wang’s place.

9. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

9? An historic low for CSGO. I’m sure it will bounce back, though. That’s fine. That’s absolutely fine.

10. Fallout 4 Season Pass

The DLC megapack (comprising Automatron, Wasteland Workshop, Far Harbor, Contraptions Workshop, Vault-Tec Workshop, and Nuka-World) is also half-price for a few more hours, down to £27/$33.49. I kinda burned out on Fallout 4 so am yet to try most of those. One day I’ll go back with a million mods and see what I missed.

From this site

1. Blastaz says:

No celebration at no GTA V?

• inspiredhandle says:

🎉

How’s that?

AutonomyLost says:

I thought the same thing. I believe Alec is goading us, perhaps while preparing an entirely different post to be published later on today in celebration haha.

Civ VI, damn. I myself haven’t bought it yet, though plan to at some point.

particlese says:

Actually, I’m throwing myself a party for the occasion. Tons of indie games, VR games, indie VR games, other games, or maybe absentee ballot registration if the party demands it; main course of salad with homegrown tomatoes, freshly-picked boiled sausage, home-toasted garlic bread; appetizers of toffee peanuts, pickled herring, 3-year Cheddar, 1-year Gruyère, a square of chocolate or something; probably some water…or milk. Yes, I think milk would be tasty.

Maybe not all of the above extravagance, but it’s the thought which counts.

keefybabe says:

Given its now on sale it WILL BE BACK!! 1!

3. Bull0 says:

Is the fallout dlc worth a look if I found the base game really underwhelming? It wasn’t RPG enough for me. Too shooty.

keefybabe says:

Most of the fallout dlc was minecrafty pap to improve settlements or build a vault. I haven’t tried Nuka world but the rest… A big fat no.

• JakeOfRavenclaw says:

I loved the base game and the DLC too, so…probably not. It doesn’t get any less shooty, certainly, although I liked that both Far Harbor and Nuka-World indulge Fallout’s weirder side a little bit more.

• Zenicetus says:

The story DLCs extended what was good about the base game for me, which was mainly the environment design and theme. They don’t improve what many people complain about, especially the amount of shooting vs. roleplaying opportunities.

The robot DLC was short and not that interesting. I did like Far Harbor because there is a mini story arc there about the companion Nick, and he was my favorite from the main F4 story. Bring him if you go there. The Far Harbor environment was a nice change from the Commonwealth too. I haven’t picked up Nuka World because I’m basically burned out at this point.

Bottom line: if you didn’t like the main game, you might want to take a pass on the DLC because it’s more of the same.

4. Alec Meer says:

Vengafail. I am heartbroken :(

5. Uhuru N'Uru says:

This is ridiculous, regardless of what Steam says, you provide the chart here, and should unilatrily make them into the single place they are.

Your so called prediction was easy to fullfill, bacause you accepted this crap, to make a stupid point.

Just list the top ten separate games next time, even if Steam calls them 1 to 17 or some other amount.

Or better yet, dont even bother listing them at all.

Comment on this story