Steep Open Beta Weekend Hits The Piste In November

Given that the PC version of Watch Dogs 2 is delayed, mid-November will be sorely lacking in Xtreme Livin’ It To The MaxX Kickin’ It Hangin’ Loose Dudes To The Max from Ubisoft. But wait, what’s that rumbling sound? Glory be! It’s an open beta weekend for Ubi’s xtreme wintersports ’em up Steep [official site], set to run November 18th to 21st. If you play the beta while listening to music from 2014 and shouting old Internet memes, Steep might just give you enough xtreme ‘tude to tide you over.

Steep, to refresh your memory, is an open-world wintersports game combining skiing, skiing, wingsuiting, snowboarding and other coldstuff. Ubi say this about the beta:

“These Beta phases will allow players to discover the diversity of Steep’s world by exploring, riding and completing dozens of challenges through three of the seven regions that compose Steep’s massive open world inspired by the Alps – the Aravis, the Tyrol and the Needles. Players will also find nine Mountain Stories – narrative-based contests that will delve deeper into unique moments in the world of Steep – throughout their journey. Completing these challenges and Mountain Stories will also unlock new gear for players to customise their characters.”

A notopen beta will come before then too, on November 10th to 14th. For a chance to play that, you can sign up over here. Then the full game will launch on December 2nd.

To be clear: I do adore the ha-ha-hilariously over-the-top Hackers-looking vibe of Watch Dogs 2.

From this site

1. Jac says:

As a bad dude with a rude ‘tude I shall be checking this out.

Edit: in the nude.

2. protorp says:

Well blow me down, I never in a million years would have thought that the Aravis, where I live, would get mentioned in an RPS article… seems this is being made by the Ubisoft studio in Annecy, which is just down the road.

Given that my livelihood depends for the major part on snow tourism to the Aravis, here’s hoping the game is fantastic and gives us some decent free publicity… even if it doesn’t look my particular cup of gaming tea.

• brucethemoose says:

“even if it doesn’t look my particular cup of gaming tea”

Probably because you can do the real thing :P

I swear, some day I will leave this desert I live in and move somewhere I can snow-ski…

3. satan says:

Hmm if I remember correctly last time I bought something with Ubisoft involved I ended up getting a refund after some combination of drm/always-online-but-servers-always-down rendered me unable to play it and I’ve been avoiding anything Ubi-related ever since… is that still the case these days?

• Hedgeclipper says:

They still run everything through their own launcher thing. I have the occasional hiccup with it but otherwise not too bad for being a completely pointless waste of time and resources. I’ve heard some people on the internet find it much worse than that so YMMV and so on.

4. Travistech says:

I really want to be excited for this, I really do, but after the complete debacle that continues to be The Crew, which I hoped would be a spiritual successor to the Midnight Club franchise, I fear that rather than be a spiritual successor to the venerable SSX series, it will be open world Agetec’s Snowboarding.

5. bit.bat says:

Why do they have to end on a clown on the trailer? Is that really the last thing they want people to see? A clown. “Hey guys lets end on the clown, wont that be cool?!”. “Yeah great idea high five you guys!!!”.

6. Love Albatross says:

Back in the PS1 era I had a minor obsession with a crappy radical sports game that had you racing on bikes, street luges, skates etc. It wasn’t a great game but I liked it. I’m hopeful this might have a similar vibe so I’m looking forward to it as a change to the usual shooters and strategy games.

Comment on this story