The Flare Path: Unstitched

1 of 10

Crisis! Geoff, the retired sailmaker who usually stitches together FP news stories, phoned in sick this morning (housemaid’s knee). We’ve experimented with alternative fastenings – velcro, staples, bulldog clips, ant-head sutures… – but none of them are strong and flexible enough to join this week’s selection of topical sim and strategy snippets. Unless Irma’s ongoing porridge experiments prove successful, I fear today’s column will have to take the form of an index finger inconveniencing gallery.

From this site

Hydrogene says:

A naval setting inspired by Ben Hur screams “war galleys in the Mediterranean” in my ears. And I like that.
    Qvadriga was surprisingly good for a such a strange setting as turn based chariot racing.

Hint: the Foxer is at image slide number 10!

2. peterako1989 says:

“Sigh” Il-2 BoS. I still see you, Im still disapointed.

3. wodin says:

WOW. I was bugging Slitherine about Bloody April for ages on Terrys behalf..no idea it got taken up!!

4. Stugle says:

I’ve seen versions of that claim about the Dutch destroying large quantities of JU-52s before, usually in Dutch history books from shortly after the war. The general idea seems to be that the German airborne assault on The Hague was really costly in planes for the Germans (not so much in Fallschirmjaeger, as they were captured and then released a few days later). Since there doesn’t seem to be much backing for it, I suspect it’s the kind of claim that was meant to make the Netherlands feel less bad about being overrun by the Germans to begin with, much like the myth that the German assault on the Afsluitdijk (the barrier that enclosed the Zuiderzee) was a bloody affair with hundreds of Germans dead or wounded.

• Jack Merchant says:

There is verification for the number of Ju-52s destroyed in the Netherlands: Werner Haupt’s ‘Sieg ohne Lohrbeer’ talks about 280 burnt-out wrecks. Cajus Bekker in ‘Angriffshöhe 4000-die deutsche Luftwaffe im Zweiten Weltkrieg’ says two thirds of the 430 Junkers involved in the operation were lost (I’m afraid I don’t know how to link to these references in HTML, sorry). If you know Dutch there’s also a list online somewhere which documents all the planes shot down or destroyed in May 1940, but I can’t find it at the moment.

This wasn’t all a result of Dutch fire: the Germans attempted to seize the military airports in the west and land the Ju-52s on them. However, these airports had runways that, being built on sea clay, were only capable of handling the weight of light fighter planes, not fully loaded transports. So many Ju-52s were heavily damaged on landing, or forced to divert to other landing sports like highways. This made them excellent targets for Dutch AAA, one of the rare aspects of national defence the Netherlands had reasonably well invested in.

I have no idea whether this had any bearing on the decision not to proceed with Sea Lion though.

• Stugle says:

Thanks! I saw on the Wikipedia page that the source for the numbers was given as the official war history written by Lou de Jong, which I’ve read as a kid. It struck me even at the time as not the most critical source, so I assumed the damage to the Ju 52s was exaggerated. It’s nice to learn my country did kick German ass in one way, even if our overall war effort was doomed years before it began. :)

Still, I’m sure the inability of the Luftwaffe to beat the RAF, and the total lack of German options to deal with the Royal Navy, had a lot more to do with the fate of Sealion than the lack of transport planes.

5. Stugle says:

And gosh, that Afghanistan ’11 sounds really interesting! Will have to keep an eye on it.

6. All is Well says:

“the dog-eared country moored just to the left of France was once a fairly big fish in the world of wet warfare”

As ever, Mssr. Stone manages to make Friday a lot better than it already is.

Comment on this story