Stomp Stomp: Titanfall 2 Released

This screen from Adam is him starting on the tutorial.

Stomp stomp bompity bomp bomp, goes the big robot. Titanfall 2 [official site] launched overnight, bringing more FPS antics with parkouring soldiers and honking great mechs armed with megaguns and power swords. Adam has strapped himself into a robot’s tummy (and in the game) to play so he can tell us all Wot He Thinks, and should be sharing some preliminary thoughts on its campaign late today. All I need to know is: gosh dang it, its mega-chunky revolver is a high-level unlock this time around too. But I want it so much.

Like its ma, Titanfall 2 is a first-person shooter combining big stompy mechs with teensy soldiers who run (and parkour) around on foot. This time around, it’s got a singleplayer campaign as well as all that multiplayer.

I realise persistent progression with unlocks is standard for modern multiplayer shooters but bah, I want cool guns now. Frustration over that was part of why I stopped playing the original Titanfall. If a game’s foundations are strong enough, it shouldn’t need to reserve cool stuff to dangle as carrots before hungry players – playing should be reward enough. I mean, I’ll still probably pick it up if Adam gives the thumbs-up but grumble grumble, I’m an old woman. My legs are grey, my ears are gnarled, my eyes are old and bent…

Oh! Here’s Adam shooting me a screenshot of the options menu:

Titanfall 2 is £49.99/$59.99 from Origin. It’s published by Electronic Arts, see, so it’s not on other digistores. In a welcome change from the first game, all maps and modes released after launch will be free for all players – not paid DLC.

As for bugs and problems, a wee troubleshooting FAQ is up on the forums.

Here’s the launch trailer, titled ‘Become One’, which boasts an awkward fraghungry rewriting of Cher’s Bang Bang. Mate, if you’re making a trailer about the fusion of human and machine and naming it that, I don’t see how you can’t use a bit of Spice Girls. At the end, rather than walking side-by-side in explodeland, the man could give the robot’s nose a little kiss.

From this site

1. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I hope that Respawn mech this a good one.

• dahools says:

Not a Titan-ic failure like the last

• crazyd says:

I know you are just playing Stupid Pun Game, but the original sold over 10 million copies on PC and Xbox alone. The ball was dropped with after release support and there was only a single mode that remained active, but it was far from a failure.

2. wodin says:

My favourite version of Bang Bang link to youtube.com

3. Sakkura says:

Watched a couple hours of the campaign on Twitch yesterday. Gameplay looks pretty decent, even with some mild physics puzzles about getting around. And of course it has your average color-by-numbers FPS story. It almost felt like a string of references to other games.

Matchstick says:

Are there any non-stupid prices for the PC version out there ?

5. Turkey says:

EA getting some stiff competition from EA this fall.

6. dungeoncrawl says:

Too bad Green Man Gaming STILL hasn’t sent out keys to tons of people complaining about it on their Facebook page and forums. They posted back “will get your keys today. thanks for your patience”. What?!?!? I’ts 8.5 hours past when it was released and we still don’t have our keys. Beware Green Man Gaming.

• SirRoderick says:

That’s just a risk of re-sellers. GMG themselves are dependent on a supply chain they do not fully control, so this sort of stuff happens. Sucks if you’re waiting, but if you’re really set on playing as soon as it’s out you may want to stick to first-party.

• Thurgret says:

If you’re buying from resellers, Kinguin’s probably a better bet than GMG.

7. RaoulDuke says:

Explosive barrels are yellow now, look how far we’ve come…

8. Faults says:

I was playing a bit of the singleplayer campaign last night, and I can easily say it’s the most fun I’ve had with an FPS since Prey. There’s some ridiculously creative level design in there, and the movement system is just an absolute joy.

AutonomyLost says:

I’m excited to get home and play this tonight. Looking forward to the WIT as well.

Comment on this story