Paragon Gets A New Hero, The Countess

Epic Games’ free-to-play MOBA Paragon [official site] received a spooky new hero this week, the Countess. She’s a lean, mean, fighting machine, and specializes in misdirection and unpredictability. You can utilize her best in hit-and-fade type attacks as she’s an expert at picking off single targets quickly and then vanishing before the opposition can react.

Countess looks pretty neat, but getting a lip ring as a vampire is probably not the best idea. She’s her own woman though, and she’s gonna show her individuality no matter how inconvenient it is.

Just in time for Halloween, where you can go and live out your fantasies of being a vampire like it were early 2000s AOL Vampyre Tavern. I definitely didn’t do that, but I heard stories of people who’d refer to themselves as the “mun” of their Vampyre Character while pretending to be a bartender in a dank old pub rife with 18/F/NY Vampyres and their boyfriends. I don’t think Paragon is anything like that, though.

Paragon is free-to-play from Epic’s website.

From this site

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Bloodrayne?

2. preshrunk_cyberpunk says:

So…..people actually play this game?

• Hunchback says:

Well, not really, i think.
      I tried it, and… sadly it sucks. Well no, it’s not a BAD game, like the hundreds of unknown-studio moba bullshit projects that have been flooding steam lately, but it really feels weird. Almost like on rails. And that’s even weirder considering it’s using the same engine as the “pre-alpha” of UT which is anything but on rails.
      It also has SO few heroes that any team tactic, composition or anything similar to competitive play is totally absurd. That’s a big turn-down for me.

Then again, i think there really isn’t much space for yet another moba nowadays, the only thing worth trying/playing will be/is Battlerite and that’s because it is NOT a moba. Gotta wait till it becomes proper F2P though, and this might take a while. :(

• Whelp says:

Almost every day.
      It’s the only MOBA that doesn’t give me crotchrot.

3. Thants says:

Free-to-play MOBA! Are there any words more thrilling to the human soul?

• TillEulenspiegel says:

“Indie puzzle platformer” makes my heart leap with excitement.

Mash all these words together with “roguelike” and you’ll surely have the greatest game ever made.

• Kamestos says:

Don’t forget ‘procedural’ somewhere for the full effect.

• Hunchback says:

“Open World” is also quite important :D

• gabrielonuris says:

You’ve forgot about “metroidvania”, although usually the game has nothing to do with Metroid. Or Castlevania.

• LexW1 says:

Well, Metroidvania doesn’t imply that it does have anything to do with Castlevania or Metroid. Merely that it has a design where at points in the game you get items or upgrades that allow you to access areas or do things that you thought possible but could not before (grappling hooks, magic gloves, etc. etc.). This doesn’t include keys or simple unlocks or similar.

So stuff like GTA or Dark Souls is not a “Metroidvania”, but Ori and the Blind Forest is, and stuff like Soul Reaver was.

• gabrielonuris says:

My God, a soul that actually remembers of the great Soul Reaver, the best metroidvania ever made! I love you, random stranger!

Also, your thoughts about Dark Souls are rather interesting; after seeing a lot of people saying it’s the best modern metroidvania, and comparing it to Symphony of The Night, I’ve decided to give it a go; for my surprise, it’s actually a good game in itself, but key hunting and closed gates does not make a game metroidvania (otherwise even Doom would be one too).

Although people seems to hate the Lords of Shadow series, I think that one is actually the best modern metroidvania for the time being.

4. Ushao says:

That headline had the unfortunate effect of giving me false hope about City of Heroes. Then I read the article. :(

5. Von Uber says:

She should cover up those shoulders; it’s nearly November and she’ll get a chill.

Or just be stabbed in them.

6. SqueekyMcClean says:

I gave the game a shot, played two matches and deleted it. It looks very pretty, but to me, the combat and the matches just feel too bland.

Comment on this story