Beautiful Adventure Game The Little Acre Due In Nov

Looking at The Little Acre [official site], I feel like I’m reliving the days of my youth when I would go to Blockbuster and pick out one of Don Bluth’s latest animated opuses, like Thumbelina. It is a masterpiece. We don’t have long to wait to see all of The Little Acre, as publishers Curve have announced they’ll release Pewter Games’ impossibly charming little adventure game is set to release on November 22nd. Check out this trailer:

The tale is set in 1950s Ireland and involves a father and daughter being transported into a strange land. The plot doesn’t sound super special, but that’s fine because the main draw for The Little Acre is its aesthetic. From the trailers you can see the animated cel look that shows we’re finally at the point where in-game graphics can match the stunning animation of classic pre-rendered adventure games like Dragon’s Lair. It really looks like you’re playing a cartoon, and I can definitely get behind that. Also, there’s a dog.

The Little Acre is another product of the huge revitalization of the once dormant point-and-click adventure genre. I personally am thrilled about this because sitting down with my significant other and playing adventure games together is a relaxing and tremendously fun pastime.

From this site

1. Stragman says:

“because sitting down with my significant other and playing adventure games together is a relaxing and tremendously fun pastime” -> I so envy you!

• Unclepauly says:

Nothing stopping you from doing the same I wager

• Jekhar says:

Adventure games were the gateway drug is used to (re-)convert my spouse into a gamer (and made her appreciate nerdy stuff in general). She had a C64 and a SNES as a child and liked to play them, but that was about it. So all she knew were these old 2D platformers and their control schemes. She never developed the dexterity to work modern controllers, so most modern 3D games with their complicated camera controls and multibutton inputs were a no-go. If she was interested in them at all. All that silly fantasy and sci-fi stuff wasn’t really her thing back then.

I told here there were these games called point’n’click adventures, which were all story driven and really easy to control. Plus they required brain power to solve their riddles, not quick reaction times. I tought we’d best start with something that had a somewhat “normal” setting, so i showed her Runaway: A Road Adventure. At first she thought “what’s all this nonsense?”, but after she solved her first few puzzles (with only mild suggestions from me, i played it previously) and escaping the hospital she was hooked.

This led to a wild gaming spree through many, many adventure titles, both classic and modern, and gradually warmed her to genres she previously disliked. 3D is still off the table, she won’t practice her controller dexterity, but that’s ok. At the moment she has a serious Stardew Valley addiction anyway, i don’t think she will give that one up anytime soon.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Those actually are some really good animations.

I expect either John or Pip will be woting their thinks on this, yeah?

3. Saarlaender39 says:

Man,…if that “bat-thing” at 1:10 isn’t heavily inspired by Stitch, I don’t know…

Oh, and btw: Brittany – you’re a fan of Dragon’s Lair, hm?
    May I turn your attention to “Braindead 13” then?

Have fun!

• fenriz says:

well why dwell in the past?

Don Bluth is writing, producing AND directing

Dragon’s Lair: the movie.

maybe at cinema entrance they give you a joystick.

• Saarlaender39 says:

But that’s a movie…we’re talking games here!

(of course – one cynical person could say, that DL and BD13 are merely movies, too – with the odd QTE added, here and there)

• fenriz says:

yea, that’s it.
          I was one of those kids that stared stunned at that DL cabinet just like anybody else (while the big boys played it!), and point&clicks are my favorite genre.

But in the end it’s all about Bluth. Sure, laser games are cult, but a full toon from the 79 yearold great man is like “the real thing”.

Provided the movie’s not vapor, it seems even too good! I mean it’s not only a new movie from Bluth, it’s the movie about Dragon’s Lair, all players dreamed of it, back then

Comment on this story