Monster Prom Majorly Spoofs Dating Sims And I Love It

Whether you’re a fan of dating sims or just downright hate them, you can probably agree that they can be cliched, overly saccharine, and often just poor representations of actual human behavior. In any case, you may get a laugh out of Beautiful Glitch’s Monster Prom [official site].

Monster Prom is a 1-to-4 player game (!!) that mixes choose-your-own-adventure and dating sim mechanics with satire and raunchy humor to absolutely roast the genre. You’ll have to take the role of a monster high schooler and find a date to prom in only three weeks. This means finding out the likes and dislikes of each of your classmates and raise your stats and collect items to reach your goal of seducing one or all of them. There’s a hipster vampire with a “fetish” of downloading pop songs. It’s beautiful. Like a beautiful… glitch?

If Monster Prom sounds like the kind of romance for you, then be sure to support the project on Kickstarter. It’s already half-way to its goal of 8000€ (£7,200), and offering copies of the finished game to backers who pledge at least €10 (£9). Beautiful Glitch are aiming to release Monster Prom on Windows, Mac, and Linux in May 2017, though we all know the crowdfunding road can be bumpy. But I want it. Give it to me.

From this site

1. Turkey says:

My Gravedale High fan-fiction come to life!

2. LionsPhil says:

Bah, those aren’t monsters; those are humans with funny-colored skin. Wake me when we can romance the Tarrasque.

(Cor, post-editing came back while I was away? Have the obligatory related webcomic, then.)

• Pich says:

This is exactly what i hate about Mass effect, all the developed alien species are just humans with funny faces (or were made that way afterwards, i refuse to aknowledge that that photoshopped stock photo is Tali).

• gwathdring says:

If you start with the premise that you encounter creatures who can broadly interact with humans in a productive way and share living spaces with them–with a handful of exceptions to keep things from being too mundane–you end up getting stuck pretty quickly.

By keeping aliens visually similar, you keep it feeling more reasonable that they can live and interact together with less work; it creates the illusion of some kind of convergent evolution. It might not make a whole lot of sense in terms of real-life science but it has a sort of internal logic, if not an especially rigorous one.

Mass Effect isn’t the best example of this being done well, not is Star Trek really, but I don’t think its really that much better to have some creature out of Geiger’s imagination that either somehow speaks interpretable language or has a universal translator plugged into its brain somewhere so that you can completely ignore the fact that its actually an alien anyway. :\

There are only a handful of good approaches to space opera aliens. You can make alien horror or other sorts of alien-centric science fiction, for sure. But if you want the swashbuckling and the politics and the high adventure while also having space and aliens, you have a limited suite of options.

1) Everything is human diaspora, though some groups have gotten very different over time and space.

2) Everything is humanoid in behavior if not shape. A few exceptions to visual and/or behavioral human-like-ness exist to keep things interesting.

3) Everything has a universal translator and has broadly human-like aspirations and societies with varying degrees of metaphor. Appearances fluctuate wildly, but beyond that non-human-ness is just as superficial as in 2.

4) The suffiicently non-human things are not well understood by humans and you don’t interact with them in any sort of proper space talks, space politics, or space romance because neither group can really properly sort out what the other is up to half the time so you end up needing to do one of things 1 through 3 in addition anyway to fill out the opera part of space opera (the Ancilliary novels and Embassytown do some really, really cool things combining 4 and 1).

Its easy to say the aliens weren’t alien enough, but there really aren’t a lot of alternatives if you want a story about going out into space and meeting aliens in recognizable civilizations and having comprehensible interactions with them.

• gwathdring says:

All that said, if you make your aliens behave in specific non-human ways but still give them the human features relevant to the specific human behaviors they don’t actually have that’s more likely to bother me. Blue Human as an alien, but if Blue Human can fly or reproduces asexually or what-have-you, it would be nice if the Blue Human was instead a Blue Humanoid that had some basic biological resonance between its actual in-fiction behaviors and its appearance.

• gwathdring says:

That should read: *I’m ok with Blue Human as an alien.

• Pich says:

I mostly agree with what you’ve said, but Bioware still got really lazy imo. You can still have different looking aliens that are still able to use human-friendly enviroments; for example: different number of appendages and/or sensory organs, different shapes for mouth(s), diffrent means of locomotion (we already have IRL ramps for disabled peoples, i wouldn’t be too crazy to have something similar for an alien with a snake/snail/shrimp-like lower body), etc.

Even having to approach aliens with different mindsets would still be a great plot point, instead with the “An Ancient Evil Awakens” they went with. Star Controll II did that amazingly and, even with it being a very silly game at times it felt much more realistic than ME.

• PsychoWedge says:

I think conceptually a really cool thing would be to visit a world were we as the humans are the odd one out and would have to use some form of aiding device to support our impractical bodies.

dunno how feasable it is to make that interesting for x hours though…

• Boozebeard says:

@Pich

I’m sorry but if I have to see someone calling a top developer lazy one more time I gonna lose my shit. Video games cost money and video games take time and if you want your studio to not go bankrupt and your video game to actually get finished you have set limits on both. It takes an incredible amount of hard work just to break into the industry at that level and then during development most of them work infamously long hours especially during “crunches”. If a developer doesn’t do something 99% of the time it’s going to be because they didn’t have enough time, enough money or they believed the time and money would be best spent else where. I can absolutely guarantee you it’s not because they simply couldn’t be bothered.

Sorry to go off on you but as someone who has first hand experience with just how insanely competitive and difficult it is to make it in the AAA games industry to call these people lazy is incredibly insulting.

• gwathdring says:

@Pitch I guess I feel that throwing, say, a snake’s lower body onto something doesn’t really make a whole lot of sense. Throwing extra arms onto something is fine, but I’d leave it exactly as often as I’d take it. Ok, so this alien has extra arms. What about it?

If they’re going to spend time getting more innovative and creative, I’d rather see that time and money go into making more stories that have more interesting structure. I’d rather see stakes that aren’t about the fate of the entire universe and struggles between peoples–alien or not–that have more nuance and intrigue than those in Mass Effect did.

In the grand scheme of space operatics, given things extra arms just isn’t high on my list. If they bother to make aliens that aren’t humans … I would at least like to see the differences in function they establish not undermined by the visual design. Your half-snake example would probably bug me because it would be hard to design it in a way that makes any sort of visual sense, but extra limbs? Sure. Go for it! I’m just not personally much bothered if they’re ordinary four-limbed humanoids either. :)

• gwathdring says:

@Psychowedge Certainly! There’s nothing wrong with that one either. Where I run into trouble is when people say its lazy NOT to do things like that. Because ultimately, you have this planet where humans are the odd ones out. Ok … so humans go around wearing life support just like the Volus do in Mass Effect. What now? There are interesting places you can go with the concept in terms of inter-planetary politics and so forth, but in terms of basic environment and visual design I don’t know that it really makes things especially better or more creative or what-have-you.

Humans wearing helmets because they breathe different gasses isn’t exactly a revolutionary change to the environment design since they already do that in these same games on uninhabited planets and on space walks and such.

I’d fully support more inhospitable planets and more space opera with a wider array of life-forms … but the wider the array of life-forms, the pulpier the sci-fi has to get for inter-planetary travel and communication and cohabitation to be presented as in-world plausible. For better and worse. :)

Of course, even at baseline, even a relatively mild increase in size variation and requisite changes to architecture could do some interesting things to urban environment design in a Mass Effect type game. It wouldn’t take a lot of extra effort but some little details would really make the place feel more diverse.

• BeautifulGlitch says:

This is your lucky day, Phil! If you pledge a crazy amount of money you get to co-create an NPC with us. It might actually be a Tarrasque.

Anyway, we see your point, but we’re like not denying that at all. Yeah, our monsters aren’t very monster-ish. I mean, sometimes we have a hard time making people realize that Scott is actually a werewolf and not just a hairy dude with fangs and pointy ears. But making them super monster-ish wasn’t our main point, so…

But we’re glad an article about us helped as a starting ground for a good discussion about this matter :D

(sure you don’t want to pledge a crazy amount of money on our project though?)

3. carewolf says:

I agree with dating sims being cliched, but saccharine? Maybe I have playing the wrong (or right) kind, but one of the clichés seems to be at least one really dark path, and generally being messed up. Just of the top of my head: I have played one where if you picked the wrong guy (who turned out to vampire) and didn’t seduce him enough he would kill you and suck you dry. One where one of the girls fades out of existence and you are doomed to loose your love, and one where you can date (or be killed by) a obese axe-wielding turtledove bent on destroying humanity.

4. AttentionHorse says:

So this is a sequel to Yawgh, right?

5. Zankman says:

I like the art style, very well drawn. Those are some sexy young “monsters”.

6. Frings says:

Hah, love it. Instant hook! And that trailer narration legitimately made me laugh out loud.

Comment on this story