THQ Nordic Buy Up NovaLogic’s Games, Including Delta Force & Comanche

Military sim specialists NovaLogic have sold all games and projects they owned to The Nordic Fist Wearing THQ As Fingerless Mittens. THQ Nordic, who are really Nordic Games renamed, today announced that they’ve picked up serieseses including Delta Force, Comanche, and F-16, along with the NovaLogic trademark.

They haven’t announced they’re making any specific new games in these series, but say they’re accepting pitches for sequels to these NovaLogic games. Nordic are getting a bit carried away with this Halloweening; you can just make Delta Force costumes, gang – you don’t need to buy the whole series.

Without listing everything they’ve picked up with this purchase, THQ Nordic do highlight the following games and series: Delta Force (have you played it?); Comanche; Joint Operations; Armored Fist, Tachyon: The Fringe; F-16; F-22; and F-22.

“NovaLogic pioneered military simulations and military-themed multiplayer shooters with vehicular combat and also clearly targeted at an adult audience,” Reinhard Pollice, THQ Nordic’s director of business and product development, said in today’s announcement. “We are extremely satisfied with the new additions to our portfolio, and also very thrilled about how to continue some of said franchises, we are open for talks in this regard if any developer approaches us with a concept for a potential sequel to any IP.”

I knew NovaLogic’s military games but was surprised to hear they made Tachyon: The Fringe. Richie Shoemaker put it on our list of the best space games but I’d entirely missed it was a NovaLogic game. Hm!

THQ Nordic haven’t announced any plans for specific releases, rereleases, sequels, reboots or anything. They’ve been on a bit of a spending spree in recent years, picking a load of games out the corpse of THQ (as well as grabbing its ID) and a few more off the hide of The Terrible Creature Wearing the Skin of Atari. They’ve not doing anything truly big with all these, but have patched up Red Faction Guerrilla, revamped Darksiders, and given Impossible Creatures its long-promised Steam release. But hey, they’ve only just bought all NovaLogic toys; it’ll likely be a while before we hear anything concrete.

From this site

1. JustChaos says:

Hey, people from Nordic – Gothic 2 Remastered or proper modern Windows support at least? Anyone? :(

2. Neurotic says:

A new Joint Ops would be fantastic.

3. Saarlaender39 says:

Yay…Delta Force!
    Loved that one.

4. MeestaNob says:

If Nordic feel they have too much money they should buy United Front and the Sleeping Dogs IP.

5. Louvellan says:

I seem to recall having played all of those games in my childhood. Sweet memories of F22 Raptor and Lighting, I usually had fun trying (and generally failing) to land… Comanche was cool but I had no idea what I was doing.

And I came late to the Tachyon party but it was still a great experience. I’d be all over sequels, remasters and remakes of all of these !

6. inspiredhandle says:

I guess it doesn’t matter that the Comanche program was cancelled more than a decade ago.

Am I the only one that would buy a new strike game (desert strike, jungle strike etc.)? Grew up playing all of those on mega drive/ps1. Wasn’t it THQ that made them originally? They wouldn’t have to buy any IP or anything them would they?

Sega autocorrects to swag. Lol.

• Turkey says:

Wasn’t it EA? I remember Nuclear Strike being EA.

• inspiredhandle says:

You are indeed correct. It seems that THQ did a N64 version in 1999. There’s no way I would have known that though.

I guess I’ll never get another strike game then 😢

• SableKeech says:

Brigador!

• inspiredhandle says:

Brigador would satisfy the itch, were it not for the fact that you aren’t an Apache attack helicopter. I’m a fussy bugger indeed.

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

Well, no, not a proper helicopter, but you can pilot the fuselage of one with antigrav engines strapped on it.

duns4t says:

Yes! A remake of Jungle Strike, if memory serves, would be the greatest.

• inspiredhandle says:

My faves were probably Soviet and nuclear strike. Funnily enough, I looked up jungle strike, and you do pilot a Comanche (I think they call it a super Comanche though). Love how EA seemingly missed the point of the Comanche, covering it in hard points and ruining it’s stealthy radar signature.

7. Gabbo says:

So “yeah!”, I guess? The Delta Force series and Tachyon were both Novalogic properties I enjoyed. The announcement doesn’t really mention it, does this mean Novalogic is leaving the gaming space and/or closing up shop?

8. Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

I played a lot of Comanche 4 back in the day and I keep telling myself to go back to it every time it’s on sale on GOG.
    At the time I was a kid and I had to make do with compilations of pirated games that included a lot of those serious sims but, without manuals and with a very limited knowledge of English, getting the vehicle du jour off the ground was an absolute nightmare. Comanche 4 I somehow managed to figure out by trial and error and I had the time of my life: God knows if it was really that good or I just felt awesome for actually managing to play it!

EDIT: …I’m an old man and forgot to make an actually relevant point…Yeah, well, it would be really cool if they made a new helicopter sim. That’s it.

• hollowroom says:

An easily accessible helicopter sim with a nice long campaign would be quality

• Zenicetus says:

The Comanche series hit a nice sweet spot between hardcore realism like the current DCS stuff and an arcade game. It had just enough realism to hint at the real thing, but wasn’t overwhelming. It also used a voxel-based game engine for terrain that was very gee-whiz at the time, but didn’t age well.

Maybe there would be a market for something similar, but I doubt the Comanche name has any value as an IP now. It’s a dated design that never made it into production. The new next-gen helicopters in the works are totally different — either compact tilt-rotor (Bell) or coaxial rotor with a pusher prop (Sikorsky-Boeing).

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

Your mum is a coaxial rotor with pusher prop!
        Oh, wait, I just checked Wikipedia, those are real words. Sorry.

In all seriousness, thanks for the analysis: I know nothing about choppers and, with things being the way you describe them, you’re probably right. There’s no point using that particular IP if the vehicle was an evolutionary dead end.
        Still though, it would be great if somebody came out with a relatively accessible heli sim: the mere sight of anything DCS related drives me ever so slightly closer to complete insanity. I’d love to love the genre fully, but Il-2 1946 is already stretching my patience to its limit (respect for fans of the super-serious sims notwithstanding).

9. Freud says:

Helicopter sims. That really used to be a thing, didn’t it?

Comment on this story