Brigador Adds New Levels, New Mechs For Halloween

The mysterious village of Brigadoon emerged from the mists over Halloween weekend to receive a series of free content updates. Wait. Brigador [official site]. Brigador the city-smashing stompy mech shooter. The Brigador which Alec’s Wot I Think declared “glorious to behold”. That’s less thematically appropriate for Halloween, but I suppose adding new levels and mechs to Brigador makes more sense than adding deathbots to a Broadway musical. That said, I would welcome an all-mech production of Brigadoon. A dozen 100-ton mechs dancing the Highland Fling would be quite the sight.

Brigador developers Stellar Jockeys released four updates over the Halloween weekend. I suppose a mech could be seen as a very elaborate costume? Dooking for apples with your mech’s cyberjaws.

Anyway. Friday’s update brought a new level along with four new pilots to star in it and a new playable vehicle, the ultralight mech Fence. Saturday’s update added a new level set in a spOoOooky graveyard along with another new mech, the Mantis. On Sunday, Stellar Jockeys made the Lowmil and Roper into playable vehicles while adding another new level. Lastly, Halloween’s update added the Corvid Rat King as a playable vehicle and brought Brigador’s first daylight level.

So new levels, new pilots, and new vehicles – smashing! Re-reading Alec’s WIT now makes me want to fire up Brigador and check out all this new firepower.

If you fancy a crack yourself but don’t own it, you’ve still got a few hours to grab Brigador in the Halloween sale on Steam, where it’s down to £6.29/8,09€/$8.99.

From this site

1. Feeesh says:

Kind of looks like Tiberian Sun.

• Flopdong says:

Graphically, yes. Gameplay-wise its more of a top down shooter and is quite fun. It feels kind of like a fusion of Hotline Miami and Mechwarrior. It has HM’s stealthy yet fast and frantic combat, but instead of a fragile human you are steering a giant customizable mech that can stomp a building to pieces

2. Ansob says:

Please buy Brigador, it’s really good and apparently barely made the devs any money. :(

• RedMattis says:

Bought it. It may not have been hugely successful, but I imagine the coverage on RPS should get the a fair number of sales. :)

3. Meatpopsicle says:

Done!

4. Kefren says:

I’m curious – are Halloween updates temporary, or always there? I hope the latter, but I think I’ve read in the past in other games (Killing Floor?) that the changes are only temporary then get removed sometime after the event. Pointless for me in that case, since it is often six months before I get round to playing a new game I’ve bought. It could also be annoying if you like some new Halloween/xmas/whatever level or enemy and it gets removed from the game.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

These are permanent upgrades. The “Halloween” in “Halloween Update” in this instance just means it was an update that came out around Halloween.

• Kefren says:

Thanks! I bought this the other day, mainly due to the amazing music and lighting, even though it seems a bit faster-paced than I normally like. I look forward to immersing myself in it soon.

• BadCatWillum says:

There is a game speed slider in the settings, and the developers recommend this if playing with a controller. But appearances can be deceptive- Brigador rewards thoughtful play – high speed runs are achieved with lots of practice and knowing the maps and enemies, rather than twitch gameplay.

• Flopdong says:

The killing floor updates were only partly time-limited. Any new maps/weapons/skins etc were permanently available afterward. But they also reskinned the monsters to be halloween themed, and after the event ended they returned to the original skins.

• Kefren says:

Ah, I thought it was something like that, thanks. Shame they didn’t leave it as an option to enable them whenever you wanted, after doing the work of creating them. Some players might prefer the reskins.

heretic says:

Brigador is great, super soundtrack as well.

Will be checking this update out tonight.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I have played the first three of four missions. The levels are a lot smaller than the regular campaign (maybe 1/4 of the size) but still very well designed. It is actually kind of nice to have some shorter missions as the larger ones can become a chore when you need to replay 20+ minutes when you die near the end of the mission (aka the time you are most likely to die.)

7. unitled says:

Brigador didn’t get anywhere near the love it should have, it’s a really great game.

The Dev’s insistence that they do a new engine from scratch certainly made their lives far more difficult, but the end result is a great little stealth/action mech game. It’s much more deep than it needs to be, with a host of different builds and styles catered for.

It’s almost-but-not-quite-entirely like a load of different games, influences from Syndicate, MechCommander, to many more; it always puts me in mind of classic 90s shmup Raptor.

• inspiredhandle says:

What is it most like though? I loved mech commander and it certainly has a passing resemblance to it, although a bit more colourful.

Someone suggested to me through an RPS comment yesterday, as I was pining for a new desert/jungle etc. strike, that Brigador would scratch that itch, and after reading the strike games wiki, I found that the next game was to be titled future strike, where you’d play as a mech that could change into a heli.

My question I suppose is this: Is this even remotely a spiritual successor to the strike games? Or does it play more like a slower paced strategy game (mech commander)?

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

I know, I know, I harp about this game all the time, but it’s really amazing and I kinda took it to heart to help the devs.

In response to your question: it’s absolutely much more strikey than mech commandery. You choose a vehicle, a loadout and go, blowing up entire city blocs, picking up ammo and shields from fallen enemies.
        “Strategy” (it’s more tactics, really) was mentioned because the combat does include slightly simmier aspects than it looks, namely: aiming is not exactly point and click, there is a degree of ballistics to consider; different damage types hurt shields and armor in different way; the point of impact of shells influences the damage, with side and back armor shots being more damaging; different guns pierce cover differently, leading to a choice between open combat and guerrilla tactics where you shoot through a building; the noise you make influences aggro, etc. Stuff like that. Point is, these are all framed within a very arcadey game, hence the point about not being mech commander at all.

• inspiredhandle says:

Hahaha. I knew I’d get picked on for writing strategy instead of tactics.

Thanks for the complete rundown though. I desperately wanted someone to solidify the strike-Brigador link for me, I think I feel oversaturated with “new” things and needed a throwback game. nostalgia can be a fickle mistress though, even when it does attract me to a new release, I burn out fast on it if that’s the only draw.

I think you’ve sold this one for me though. Cheers

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

Hehehe, sorry, that wasn’t intended as a nitpick! I was just trying to communicate that the thought process in the game goes more like: “That’s a lot of dudes. How do I engage them without getting killed? Do I have an escape route or a chokepoint to exploit?” rather than: “How do I allocate my resources to win?”. Just to reiterate the difference between Brigador and an RTS.
            God, if I ever post a comment to inform people about the difference between strategy and tactics, I authorize you to shoot me in the head.

Anyway, glad you’re convinced, I hope you enjoy the game!

• inspiredhandle says:

I caught myself explaining the difference to my wife a few months ago. I suddenly heard what I was saying, and who I was saying it to, and stopped. This is the sort of conversational topic that drives away loved ones for sure.

• unitled says:

The Strike games are a pretty good starting point, actually. The gameplay of them with the graphics and customisation of a MechCommander is broadly what you get. The strategy side of it comes down to your approach (action heavy or stealthy, or a bit of both as the situation demands) rather than being slow paced RTS style.

I made a gameplay video of it ages ago. I’m not very good and was playing with a pretty ‘easy’ build here, with a slow tanky mech and powerful weapons. The game certainly gets a lot more challenging on the higher difficulties and with different builds:
        link to youtube.com

But please don’t let my inability to give you a pithy one-line pitch make you think that it lacks focus; the GAME knows what it is, and it does its job well. The developers were really pursuing their own vision, and they’ve made the game they wanted.

There are definite INFLUENCES brought in from a ton of other games and films. For instance, I also get a bit of a John Carpenter/Escape from New York vibe from the music and atmosphere it has.

• inspiredhandle says:

You’ve definitely filled in the gaps for me here. John carpenter/escape from New York vibes are a definite bonus too. 👍

• unitled says:

On a whim, I Googled John Carpenter + Brigador and found that it really was an influence for the team; the story mode takes place over one increasingly chaotic and bloody night.

They also mention Crusader: No Remorse as a major influence, which I played A BIT of. I have an abiding memory of it being bastard hard.

Hope you enjoy it if you pick it up, it’s certainly a niche title, but those occupying the niche all seem to absolutely love it.

• melerski says:

I’m a huge mechwarrior fan and bought it because mechs and good reviews, but quickly gave it back after playing it. It’s not for me.

Nauallis says:

It’s most similar to Armored Core from an isometric perspective.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

The game has coincidental similarities to the Strike games and Future Cop LAPD. The devs have claimed to never having heard of either of those series. They have stated that their actual influences are Syndicate and Crusader: No Remorse.

Brigador also started out as an RTS game before switching to an action game which is why the level design and AI have an RTS feel about them.

• inspiredhandle says:

Played the shit out of future cop LAPD. Only yesterday found out that future cop evolved from the cancelled sequel to nuclear strike. Future cop is the only thing that makes me think MOBAs have any sort of entertainment value, the head to head multiplayer in that game was way ahead of its time.

Brigador will now sit in the waiting room of my wish list for the obligatory 3+ months before purchase, such is the custom. Thanks for all the info lads. 👍

8. Jambe says:

I’ll echo the above sentiments; this is a great game which more people should buy.

AutonomyLost says:

I’ll be buying this tonight. It’s been on my wishlist but has been ignored largely due to the stupid amount of games being released lately/about to release.

I love some mech action. Excited to check it out.

Comment on this story