Murdered By Robots On The Moon: Routine

The streets are littered with bones and pumpkins round these parts. It’s the day after Halloween and anyone who isn’t waking up with an ectoplasm hangover didn’t go to the right party last night. Now that the bats have been placed back in the belfry and the skeletons have been returned to their closets, you might think all things spooky are done until next October but you’d be wrong. Routine [official site] is a beautiful sci-fi horror game set in a retro-future moonbase full of horrors.

Although it looks like it might have been inspired by Alien: Isolation, with that gorgeous 1970s style, Routine has actually been in development for so long that Isolation was still gestating in Creative Assembly’s chest cavity when we first interviewed the UK-based developers about their plans. You can tell how long ago that was because RPS founding father and killer robot fan Jim conducted the interview, and we only mention him when discussing our local creation myths these days.

But what is Routine, you might be wondering, other than a horror game set on the moon? Way back when we described it as being a bit like Amnesia in space, not knowing that SOMA would come along and (sort of) fill that particular role itself. But we’re still in the dark when it comes to what Routine might actually be, and that’s probably for the best, with fear of the unknown being quite effective and all that.

Here’s some alpha footage from 2013 if you want to know a little more:

The new trailer comes with the exciting news that Routine will finally be in our hands in March 2017. What a delightfully horrible year it’s shaping up to be already, with Resident Evil 7 due in January and Little Nightmares waiting in the shadows for a spring release as well.

From this site

Dorga says:

finally!!

• Maxheadroom says:

Yeah I’d totally forgotten about this one. Glad its finally going to see the light of day even if it doesn’t seem quite so innovative post SOMA/Alien Isolation.

But at least it has a release date, which is more than can be said for Below…

2. leeder krenon says:

Excellent, a very useful trailer that has confirmed I do not need to play this HOLY SHIT why do people do this to themselves. I have spent about 6 months in a locker in Alien Isolation. See ya.

3. Stevostin says:

AFAICR it’s permadeath and map generation all the way. So it may be too scary to be playable, I guess :P

But man is it pretty. It’s putting AI to shame, and that was a pretty game.

4. notcurry says:

Oh boy! The lack of news on this one had me wondering whether the project was abandoned. So happy to hear it’s coming. It looks delightful (although there’s no way on earth I’m playing it without my girlfriend by my side).

Isn’t that alpha gameplay video a little dizzying, though?

Harlander says:

No matter how good the game as a whole is, that retro-futuristic floppy-based space station computer system might just be worth the price of admission for me.

6. stiffkittin says:

I’d call it more of an 80s aesthetic myself. Very excited about this finally coming out. One of the last of the great lost indie games of the kickstarter boom. It did rather look like they might have quietly shelved this. Although I seem to recall there may have been something about having trouble working in the limelight or keeping up with regular progress reports, what with the team consisting of like 4 people or somesuch. Either way these guys are so talented and any delay has clearly been put to exceptional use.

That audio design, the attention to detail even in the alpha video, is simply delectable. Seriously, anyone born in the 80s listen to the tech sounds with decent headphones, it’s a real nostalgia trip.

7. Maxheadroom says:

Speaking of long lost horror games resurfacing, has there been any more news on Alison Road since the developer split from Team 17 and going solo?

8. Freud says:

The humans are dead
    They look like they’re dead
    I’ll just confirm that they’re dead
    I poked one. It was dead.

9. RichUncleSkeleton says:

I thought this was vaporware for sure.

10. Unclepauly says:

Did A.I. steal this games idea? By “A.I.” I mean the game not it’s developers. Yeah, the game stole it.

11. Jay Load says:

Until someone comes along and provides a fully working Space Station for me to haunt/live in (and possibly as a game as well) these horror-adventures will have to do.

SOMA was f***ing amazing. I’ll happily take more of the same, thank you, Creative Assembly. :)

AutonomyLost says:

That new trailer is pretty evil. Looks good, for how little is shown! I’ll be keeping me eye on this one.

13. mercyRPG says:

SOMA was excellent! This one looks like the medicine for SOMA-withdrawal syndrome.

14. April March says:

Isn’t this the one that takes place in a coffee mining station? I’m still waiting for the announcement that it’s a bewildering deep satire. In fact, I’m calling it right now: it’s Frog Fractions 2.

Comment on this story