Steam Charts: Now That’s What I Call PC Gaming

An altogether healthier chart than we’ve had over the last few weeks, even if the usual ghosts continue to haunt it. That was a spooky halloween reference. It’s probably still Halloween in Tazmania or something. Even if it’s not, there’s definitely a hungover guy in a vomit-smeared David S. Pumpkins costume shambling down a street somewhere.

1. Sid Meier’s Civilization VI

Continuing to do very well for itself even though the new, trait-based diplomacy system is the greatest hoax since Noel Gallagher convinced his brother he was being haunted.

2. Sid Meier’s Civilization VI

This’ll be the deluxe edition, which for the next couple of weeks remains the only way to have access to the Aztecs as a playable faction. That’s a dirty trick, even by ol’ Monty’s standards. Still, at least there are a mere two Civ sixses in the charts this week.

3. Grand Theft Auto V

SOMETIMES THEY COME BACK. And then keep coming back. Forever and ever and ever and ever until GTA VI comes out.

4. Farming Simulator 17

See, this is the sort of thing I expected the Steam charts to contain back when I naively started writing this regular feature. A liberal representation of the weird and wonderful and ever so precise entries in the vast PC gaming pantheon. I’m feeling optimistic! This is going to be a different sort of chart! A bright new tomorrow!

5. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Oh for God’s sakes.

6. Football Manager 2017

See, if SEGA were canny, they’d also sell exactly the same game repackaged as ‘Brexit Simulator 2017‘ and make double the money.

7. Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (pre-purchase)

Whatever the hell this is, this is its first appearance within our hallowed e-organ, so allow me to perform the traditional Dance Of The YouTube Embed for your entertainment:

Wellll, I’m going to guess it’s a fighting game of some kind. I want to say things about being an old man who doesn’t get it, but in fact Dragon Ball was on the telly back when I was a student, and I didn’t get it then either. Apparently this thing has 68 characters, and is aimed very squarely at people who are really, really into their Dragonballs.

8. Dark Souls III – Season Pass

As far as I can tell, this is here based on pure enthusiasm for the new Ashes of Ariandel DLC, rather than any sudden sales skullduggery. Here’s our review of the icy add-on, in case you missed it.

9. Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 2 Deluxe Edition (pre-purchase)

The deluxe edition includes “Goku Black Pre-Order Bonus”. Even I’ve heard of Goku, so I’m guessing that’s a big enough deal to flog a fair few copies.

10. My Summer Car

Again, this is what I wanted the Steam charts to look like. A Finnish half-earnest, half-crackpot car sim? Yes, yes, that’s the stuff. Frankly, so is Dragonball wotsit – I like it when the chart’s full of non-obvious stuff, whether it’s for me or not.

From this site

1. ButteringSundays says:

My Summer Car really is quite wonderful, it’s earned its place!

The first time I died (it’s permadeath!) I couldn’t stop laughing – the whole situation was just so absurd – including the games reaction to it.

2. Carra says:

It keeps amazing me that so many people buy Farm Simulator 20xx every year.

Lars Westergren says:

The absurd situation of people with presumably fairly high income (by global standards) and plenty of free time choosing to play out a fantasy of hard blue-collar work.

I’m not hating on the players, whatever entertains you and helps you relax, it’s just… I don’t know how to end this sentence. Apparently many of us who do deskjobs feel there is something missing in our lives at least.

• Drib says:

I would personally like to have a job where I actually produce something other than correct paperwork and working IT systems. Something real and tangible, like crops, or stone crafts, or even just widgets or something.

But it’s not feasible if I want to keep my current standard of living.

Oh well. Back to office work.

• Unsheep says:

I think it’s partly due to a role-playing fantasy, doing something you can’t do in your real life. Instead of role-playing a wizard, robot or soldier they are simply role-playing a farmer, pilot or truck driver instead.

I also think it’s partly due to the mechanics and technical complexities involved. The actual gameplay. In a shooter you only have a few things to manage, but in a sim game there’s usually a multitude of things to handle and there’s simply more things to do. In my own experience at least.

Cvnk says:

I was in a factory recently struggling with and stressing out over a computer upgrade for an ancient piece of inspection equipment on their production line and found myself longingly watching the happy folks scooting around in their fork lifts, effortlessly lifting pallets that were out of reach of mortal men and arranging them neatly inside the trailer of a waiting truck. Then I silently cried as I returned to figuring out how to replace a 10 year old DAQ device with one that’s compatible with with Windows 7.

• ButteringSundays says:

I think you’vew latched onto the wrong aspect of these types of games.

I don’t think it’s anything to do with blue-collar, menial work – I think it’s more about machines, engineering and being in control of powerful things.

I mean 6 year olds like playing with trucks – I don’t think it’s because they crave the life of a contractor :)

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I don’t think it’s a class thing. Boys and their toys will always sell forever.

• LimEJET says:

It helps if you look at it as a tycoon game. It’s about planning out how to get the most out of your equipment. Skye Storme, who almost exclusively plays strategy and management games, was actually surprised at how much he likes it.

…It’s also about playing with big machines.

3. qrter says:

Let us not mention David S. Pumpkins ever again.

4. qrter says:

Is it constantly on the verge of crashing..?

5. SmallFist says:

i’m both in Tasmania and hungover (well, still drunk); stop scaring me.

i don’t know who David S. Pumpkins is.

6. Unsheep says:

Wow, some real surprises here, and fun ones too … I mean who doesn’t think My Summer Car is awesome for even existing ? Now I know what people who liked Goat Simulator must have felt like.

And Farming Simulator 17 ? I know Euro Truck 2 was huge and that the sim market is very large in Europe, but this was surprising.

I know we usually complain about the Steam charts but it’s not as if charts from other places, like GOG, offer more variety or frequent change (unless there’s a big or important sale going on).

7. Zankman says:

Xenoverse 2 has 68 characters?

That can’t be right… The old Budokai Tenkaichi games had, like, 100+!

Meanwhile, DBZ has gotten loads of new characters since!

Comment on this story