Ex-Battlefield Devs Making A New Viking Monster

There have been plenty of Viking games, putting you in the heavy boots of the giant-slaying, bloodthirsty war men. But what about all the poor mythical beasts they keep killing? Project Wight (a working title) plans to explore what that conflict looks like from the perspective of a creature hunted to the edge of extinction by the northmen. If, like me, all you want to do is lurk in a dank cave and frighten anyone who enters, then you’ve come to the right place. I have a trailer for you here, showing off some of the creatures’ hiding and fighting skills.

I am all for an anti-Beowulf tale of animal retribution. The potential of stalking the mead halls of tribal war chiefs at night and throwing them out of bed with a snarl fills me with twisted glee. But it’s early days from the looks of things, and there aren’t many details in the video about the plot or systems involved in all the murder. The developers haven’t even settled on a title yet, the silly billies. For now we just have some dark caverns and a monster wearing Far Cry 3’s wingsuit, which, to be fair, is a wonderful image.

It’s being made by fresh studio The Outsiders, established by former Battlefield and Payday developers. The man talking over the trailer is David Goldfarb, who worked on Payday 2, Battlefield 3 and Mirror’s Edge among others. We might know more about this first-person monstering some day in the future. Until then, stay in your cave.

From this site

1. Darth Gangrel says:

Humans are the real monster…

2. smeaa mario says:

Fresh and exciting idea. I hope the end product will feel fresh too. By the way, is it just me or do the cavern textures actually look really good?

3. Ghostwise says:

I’d have called the game “Stuff Wight People Like”, meself.

4. Freud says:

Good idea but I’m not sure it’s good enough to last a whole game.

5. MrFinnishDude says:

Man, the horns really bum me out. I liked the alternate reality aspect of it but if youre not shoving realistic vikings get out.

• Brendan Caldwell says:

There is a flying monster who eats people in the neck.

• amcathlan says:

Going to have to agree with that. While I couldn’t let it deal-break what looks like a cool game for me, those horns will make me shudder with annoyance every 43 seconds. Killing fantasy vikings, alright, but stalking and killing convincing hirdsmen through a dark forest? Now we’re talking.

cpt_freakout says:

I’m puzzled by the Viking Realists in this thread, but you make a good point. I couldn’t care less about real viking helmets, but as a possible aesthetic of grittiness, well, now we’re talking.

• theblazeuk says:

Meh. Do not let realism get in the fine details of my Grendel simulator

• jonfitt says:

Yes! My thoughts exactly. It takes it into the realm of fantasy. It starts to look like shadow of mordor.

6. Jam_Jackk says:

Should I feel bad that I think I’d find it more interesting to be a viking in that world. The story could be a slightly different, viking version of the Metro: Last Light plot.

7. surethingbud says:

Looks awesome!

8. ninjapirate says:

I keep hearing “Project Dwight” in the video. Couldn’t help but imagine the narration done with Rainn Wilson’s snide voice (as Dwight Schrute from “The Office”). It works surprisingly well!

9. Turkey says:

Reminds me of the Alien sections in the old AvP games. Haven’t seen anybody do that type of stealth since.

Hopefully you’ll be able to stick to any surface. That would be fun.

10. ctkag says:

Hope they stick with creature v Viking and don’t muck it up with PvP. Looks like their plot line is to take the creature through youth (survival) to adulthood (revenge?). Sounds interesting.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I’ve been wanting a game where you play as an animal/creature attacking your hunters for ages. I will be keeping my eye on this for sure.

12. Solgarmr says:

Godsdamn horns on viking helmets, completely unpractical and unrealistic and not at all authentic. Anyone would wear a helmet like that I’d hook it with my trusty axe and slam him in da face with my shield edge.

• Unclepauly says:

I’m oddly impressed..

• theblazeuk says:

I love these hypothetical acts of valour

• lglethal says:

Look I can understand unauthentic bothering you, but unpractical and unrealistic, I’m not with you there. Having looked at plenty of pieces of armour across Europe, there is a sh%tload of armour out there with wings, horns, sharp sticky outty bits that are actually not practical in the least, but they still got made and still got used. OK a lot of them were show pieces of armour, but still others got used a lot. Horns I dont see as being unpractical at all, they are there as intimidation – scare your Opponent a bit, and you already have an advantage.

As for hooking the horn with your axe – your Opponent would have to be pretty much dead already to give you the chance to make a high double play like that…

13. DutchLaw says:

Ooohh, that was rather enticing… I’d most certainly give that a try.

Captain Narol says:

Very interesting idea, but I would have prefered it in Third-Person View… Like Styx or Shadow of Mordor.

15. unsanity says:

“Here we can see two of them [humans] killing your father.”

Oh…okay then.

Guess I’m in an RPG.

“I WILL AVENGE YOU FATHER…after I’ve collection all 5 parts of the armour of Mgo’dash-tarahthing”

16. mercyRPG says:

Looks interesting! Also with Unity? Wow! Speed will be bad then, but the game concept will be worth enduring low fps.

Comment on this story