Brrr: Forza Horizon 3 Teases Icy Expansion

Microsoft have teased that the first Forza Horizon 3 [official site] expansion will be going somewhere a fair bit chillier than the beaches and rainforests of the main game. It’ll launch later this year. They don’t have much to say about it but we can safely assume that Microsoft wouldn’t be so irresponsible as to promote driving in dangerous conditions. So we can reasonably assume that rather have players race through ice and snow, it’ll involve sitting parked by the roadside until the weather clears.

We can reasonably assume that players will have plenty to do in the car while they wait. We can reasonably assume that avatars (and Drivatars) have been sensible and packed a hot flask of soup or cocoa along with snacks. We can reasonably assume that players will be able to practise tossing yogurt-coated banana chips into the air and catching them in their mouths. We can reasonably assume that the expansion will add lots of radio stations to flick between. We can reasonably assume that multiplayer will be handled by texting your friends on a Windows Phone (a nice product placement opportunity), swapping chilly snaps and selfies, looking up facts on Bing, and trying to trick Cortana into saying rude words.

“That’s a fine series of logical deductions,” you say, “and we’re all with you, Alice.”

Be wary of this next prediction. This is unsubstantiated speculation and, unlike the rest of this post, shouldn’t be treated as stone cold fact. Let’s examine MS’s words closely:

“As we all know, winter is coming and that means some less than ideal road conditions.”

That’s right, “winter is coming”: the expansion will add an in-car entertainment system, to enjoy Game of Thrones and all the other films, TV, and music you can buy through the Microsoft Store. Now don’t take my word on that, but don’t forget me if this is confirmed. Old Alice isn’t as dim as she may seem.

Oh, and here’s a bigger version of ↑ that picture, if you want to admire what I assume is either a carbon fibre body or a rather fetching car-shaped pinstripe suit.

From this site

1. Oblongata says:

I received a refund for the base game, it was basically unplayable. Crashed constantly. Has it gotten any better? Was really looking forward to Forza on PC.

• RainMan says:

It depends when you refunded it. It’s definitely improved a lot since launch but it’s still not perfect. My frame rate drops and stutters are not as frequent or annoying anymore, and I haven’t seen any crashes in a while, although I’ve only ever had a few – they were never constant. I can now play at 75fps Vsynced rather than 38fps and not have too many stutters for it to become unplayable. But, I still have to play it on medium settings as far as I remember, and it doesn’t really look that brilliant.

• Oblongata says:

I gave up after the first patch. It would constantly crash when modifying cars or doing anything inside the festival venues. The driving around bits were fairly stable though they crashed occasionally as well. Was really disappointed, but at least MS was great about giving me the refund.

2. RaoulDuke says:

I’ve been following the Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance thread on neogaf because I really wanted to play this with friends but it doesn’t bode well – link to neogaf.com – It sounds like holding 60 fps on a 970 at 1080p, isn’t possible, even with settings massively turned down, certain races/spots on the map just crush the fps to 30 suddenly.

I could lock it, but I really don’t want to play a racing game locked to 30 fps (The AK batmobile was very hard to drive well at 30 fps, never mind a car that goes 3-4 times as fast) or just play at 1080p and suffer the sudden slowdowns, but I’m pretty sure if I lost a race because it dropped to 30 suddenly/for the duration I would just put the game down.

Thats too shit for me, sorry, so many multi-platform AAA PC releases are a joke right now and I don’t want to support the practice. Publishers and devs alike just suddenly saying, “oh this game can’t maintain 60 fps at 1080p on a £250 GPU at high settings [Not Ultra/future + no SSAA/MSAA] because its so ‘advanced’ or is ‘built for the future’, seriously, screw off with that stuff, just optimise your games properly so they don’t jump between 60fps [prob more like 80 fps if v-sync was off] and 30fps willy nilly, often without a visible reason.

• inspiredhandle says:

Here, here. As a fellow 970 owner they should all just let us have 1080p, running at 60fps, on at least high settings, for another year at least. I fully endorse this rant.

• RaoulDuke says:

Haha, yeah I know I sound like a fanny discussing it with nebulous terms like “high settings” and “optimisation”, but isn’t there a reasonable expectation of getting more than 18 months out of a high end GPU [970]? Obviously it still runs the games, I mean being able to play at 30+ fps with not the lowest settings.

I wouldn’t mind if I had to turn down some settings to achieve 60 fps but games like Forza Horizon 3, Quantum Break just aren’t made to be run at 30+ fps, and I think that’s rubbish, *bronx cheer*.

Ericusson says:

It’s not a problem with your 970.
          It is just bad development, and it is coming from Microsoft who holds all the keys of their technical platform.

It is just so ridiculous.
          Looks like the culture of the Zune is still strong in this company.

• neems says:

The issue seems to be primarily related to cpus – this sounds counter-intuitive given that xbox one has a cpu slower than the tablet on which I am typing, but a toaster could run FH3 at 30 fps… whereas for a constant 60 you need a supercomputer.

I found the most comfortable way to play was to max every setting possible to ensure that the gpu was the bottleneck – combined with frame rate smoothing this makes for a very playable 45 ish. In fairness to [the guys who made it] my cpu is below the minimum spec (i5 2500k), and I could probably run at 8k at 30 fps if I was so inclined. I think it just wasn’t really designed to run at 60, sadly.

Great game otherwise though.

• Sgt_Moose says:

I have an i5 3570K OC to 4.6ghz and a GTX 970.

I run the game at 2560×1440 medium settings 55-75fps. On medium it still looks great.

I find it hard to believe that people with similar systems can’t get it to run 1080p/60.

3. Darth Gangrel says:

We can reasonably assume that if you spend the time waiting by looking up stuff online while using Internet Explorer, it’ll be spring before the pages have loaded.

4. Pizzzahut says:

Microsoft still haven’t refunded me the $40au value of the extra 80gb I had to use from my monthly quota to download the basegame (due to the faulty PC downloader). So, it’s a no buy from me. Sad, ’cause it sounds good.

Benratha says:

“We can reasonably assume that players will be able to practise tossing yogurt-coated into the air.” But yogurt-coated what Alice?
    The suspense alone could be part of the game….

6. Skid says:

As much as I want to play this, until they add support for the Logitech Driving Force GT without me having to hack the support in myself, I’m not picking it up. I mean really, EVERY other racing game I’ve every played has native support for it.

Comment on this story