MechWarrior: Living Legends Revived By Players

Titanfall 2 is smashing for zip-zap-zippy-zoopy mech action but what if you fancy your deathbots more serious, more simmy? Good news: MechWarrior: Living Legends is back. Creators Wandering Samurai Studios officially stopped working on the free game in 2013 but a group of players have since picked it up, and last week released their first new version. Their MWLL Community Edition v0.8 mostly fixes and tweaks things — a lot of things — but the team plan to add new content in future updates. It’s free so hey, come on down and get stompy.

Living Legends continues the MechWarrior tradition of big stompy botfights, this time focused on multiplayer and with other vehicles like aircraft too. Technically it’s a Crysis Wars mod but as it only requires the Crysis Wars demo to play, hey: free game!

Wandering Samurai, the folks who created it, ended development in 2013. Though some player accused the makers of MechWarrior Online of strong-arming them with legal threats, Wandering Samurai denied that and said it was their decision.

Now a team of players have picked it back up. They say:

“Using the experience gained from years of public and league gameplay and numerous player requests, we have refined just about everything for a more balanced, player-friendly experience. Of course this also includes a ton of fixed bugs and new shiny!

“We are dedicated to finish what Wandering Samurai started, and this is just the beginning. Upcoming patches will focus on bringing in new toys, further refining gameplay and making this game better than ever.”

You can download MWLL CE from these mirrors or through a torrent. That includes both Crysis Wars and MWLL, making it the best way to get started, though you can download the two separately through the site if you’d rather.

Hit the changelog to see all that’s new in the first Community Edition release.

From this site

1. NickAragua says:

I was excited until I saw “multiplayer only”.

• balinor says:

That was my exact thought. I love Mechwarrior and Battletech in general but playing with other people? Eww.

• K_Sezegedin says:

Its a Crysis mod, I don’t think we can expect the brave souls who’ve picked it up to write AI and script a campaign.

Anyway this is good news, what with Mechwarrior Online being in complete stasis.

PoulWrist says:

Patching monthly and updating on future plans monthly is not what I would call stasis. But to each their own, I guess.

• likefunbutnot says:

Mechwarrrior Online is also multiplayer only and if anything deviates even further from the tabletop game, particularly since its developers don’t really have anything like a handle on in-game balance and don’t really interact with the active player base. I can see Living Legends coming back as a direct result of frustration with Piranha Games and the constant cash grab of new mechs and updated technology.

But then I might be a little bitter.

keefybabe says:

Yeah, totally. I got totally immersed in Mechwarrior 2 back in the day. I’d love a modern single player Mechwarrior game.

2. dozurdogbite says:

zipzapzipyzoopy has a nice ring to it. It could easily be a top contender for a haiku of mine… Although that leaves only 11 syllables (arguably) to convey anything meaningful (or not).

3. SuperUnheardOf says:

That’s all very well, but where’s the Terra Nova:SFC remake the world needs?

4. gabrielonuris says:

Technically it’s a Crysis Wars mod but as both that and MWLL are free

Wha… What?! Is Crysis Wars free?! Isn’t it that multiplayer only Crysis game that was closed down together with Gamespy?! Does it still works?!

5. Thunderbird says:

MWLL community says hello! :-)
    I guess this explains why the torrent exploded with activity this morning – so glad to see we’re generating interest :P

Remember to drop by the forums/discord/teamspeak and say hi!

6. Chaotic Entropy says:

Hell. Yes.

7. oyog says:

Didn’t MW:LL get a cease and desist or something when MW:O became officially a thing?

Was that not the case? Is that not the case? Can I be thrilled by MW:LL development logs again?

Also, ugh, I just want FASA games on GOG. I need some MechCommander, MechWarrior 3 and Crimson Skies.

Comment on this story