Talisman: The Horus Heresy’s Free Trial Weekend

YOU'RE NOT MY REAL SPACEDAD

One of the central events of Warhammer 40k history is the scrap between Our Immortal God-Emperor (We Praise His Eternal Vigil) and his lad Horus, who fell in with a bad spacecrowd. After years of slagging off his spaceda, Horus gave him a spacekicking and put him in spacehospital but got put down himself. Spacechristmas was forever ruined. All of that (well, some of it) is recreated in Talisman: The Horus Heresy, a spin-off from the digitised board game Talisman. You can relive that history for yourself this weekend, as the full game is free to try on Steam.

The Horus Heresy is a digital board game for 1-4 players, who take control of loyalist or traitor forces to duke it out in competitive or cooperative play. They quest, battle, collect gear, and generally power up in preparation for the final battle.

Here’s a trailer to explain the basics:

I’ve not had a crack myself but have heard some good things about Talisman (and some not so good, to be fair). And let’s not forget that one of RPS’s core responsibilities is to provide familiar Warhammer lingo and lore to people who now worry they’re too old to go into Warhammer shops.

You’ve got three days to hit Steam and download Talisman: The Horus Heresy. If you like it and want it for keepsies, hey, a 50% discount brings it down to £5.49/7,49€/$7.99 until Thursday.

From this site

1. phertiker says:

We get it: he’s from space.

Sorry everyone, but somebody had to fall on that grenade.

2. lglethal says:

“And let’s not forget that one of RPS’s core responsibilities is to provide familiar Warhammer lingo and lore to people who now worry they’re too old to go into Warhammer shops.”

Was I that obvious?

:P

3. Regibo666 says:

I absolutely love Horus Heresy/30k. Much more than 40k. The series of novels is truly epic. Might give this a try.

4. Shadow says:

HORACE HERESY.

Yes, you can have that.

5. mouton says:

Still Talisman and Talisman is a terrible, almost completely random game that was fun long ago because people were young and there was nothing else to do.

phuzz says:

Isn’t Talisman in 40k called Relic?

• MisterFurious says:

I went to a game store for board game night last week and they said they were going to play Talisman. I should’ve went home. The game lasted over four hours before I said ‘screw it’ and tried to end it but the other players went in after me and there was nothing I could do to stop them from stopping me. At least the damn game ended.

6. Deptfordx says:

Well, that sure passed 75 minutes or so.

Playing with an AI, even just one at maximum turn speed is annoying. Can’t imagine how bad it would be with the recommended 3 other players.

Confirm rolling dice is bullshit. Spent about 12 turns trying to land on 1 spot so I could start a quest I needed to do.

If you’ve got a group of friends into HH stuff, and if the Online play allows you to play with the game in the backgrond (didn’t bother checking out the online stuff)so you could get a Defcon style game running over the course of a day, it might by ‘kinda fun.

Otherwise I’d pass.