Parp Parp! Forza Horizon 3 Demo Hits Windows 10

If you fancy a Sunday drive, you might want to take a look at Forza Horizon 3 [official site]. A demo for the open-world racer has arrived on Windows 10, letting folks pootle around a hunk of its virtual Australia for free. I suppose you can also drive quickly in those there races, but that seems very undignified. It’s also an opportunity to check out how much the game has improved since launch, when it was a bit wonky. You can grab the demo from the Windows Store.

Here’s the official word on what’s in the demo:

“Your tour Down Under begins in classic Horizon fashion – with beautiful scenery, great driving roads, and awesome vehicles. From the moment the action begins, you are unmistakably in Australia, with all of its awe-inspiring beauty and tremendous environmental diversity. You’ll blast along ocean-side roads, and race on the beach alongside the famed Twelve Apostles landmarks. You’ll grab ludicrous air off of Danger Sign jumps buried deep in the Australian rainforests, and have a chance to get sideways through Drift Zones in Byron Bay. Once you’ve finished all the events in the demo, you’ll be able to hop online and join your fellow Forza friends in an online free-roam session to explore the demo’s map together.”

While the demo arrived on Xbone in September, we’ve had to wait. Parp parp!

Forza Horizon 3’s first expansion is due later this year, having players sit in their parked cars while they wait out icy storms and dangerous road conditions.

From this site

1. rb207 says:

Is the demo cross platform multiplayer

2. gbrading says:

Until Forza Horizon 3 leaves the Windows Store and escapes UWP (which it might never, sadly), I’m afraid I will ignore it.

• DrollRemark says:

Oh god, I bought the Store version of Minecraft just the other day and I’ve ended up locking Windows into my MS account thanks to all this nonsense. Reading this is giving me horrible acid flashbacks.

Cvnk says:

Man that rings a bell. I got locked out of my new Win10 upgrade last fall after logging into the MS store just to see what it was like. My MS password is some random string of characters stored in Keepass and my computer locks itself automatically with the screensaver. Thankfully I have an offline copy of my KP database that I was able to open from my phone but what a pain in the ass to put me through without any warning (that I noticed anyway).

I stay far away from the MS Store now.

3. Bostec says:

I was going to test out the windows store and Forza. See how shit it is(Windows Store) Was going to download Forza Motorstore 6 but i’ll download this instead, better game right? Oh and its 20 GB for anyone interested.

4. spacedyemeerkat says:

I had a lot of fun playing Forza Horizon 3 on the PC. I did have to fix the framerate to 48 to ensure smooth gameplay (on my 980Ti) but that aside, it was a very good experience.

5. Sp4rkR4t says:

Grabbed the demo, frame rate goes up and down like a yoyo and controls feel sluggish, also sometimes the controller just stops working at all. Another potentially great game ruined by UWP. I hope we can get a proper PC version soon or Microsoft finally acknowledge and fix the huge performance & stability issues of UWP.

• Sp4rkR4t says:

Found that the problem with yoyo frame rate seems linked to a game running 60fps@4k and it’s not just the forza games, all the other high end UWP games I have appear to be doing the same it’s just far more noticable on Forza because of the cars moving fast and wotnot.

Has anyone started shouting regularly at Microsoft to at least acknowledged that in it’s present form UWP is unsuitable to big games like Forza? RPS reportery types please get MS to look into this.

6. UncleLou says:

To add something positive to the thread, the game is fantastic and runs like a dream now.

I do hate how Windows Store forces your OS language onto your games, though, there’s no in-game language option.

7. zoog85 says:

Is there no way to play this on a non Windows 10 PC (like Windows 7?) That’s silly.

• Flangie says:

Not really that surprising that MS would want to focus on their current OS. If you’re on Win 7 then it’s a situation that’s only going to get worse :-( I remember sticking with XP way longer than I should have!

The game is excellent though, and runs really well now that it’s had a few patches; have never had issues with Win 10 store either.

• Poor People says:

Just because you have no problems with Windows Store doesn’t mean others with different hardware won’t either. I remembered playing GTA 4 for the PC and having no initial problems, yet it became infamous for being a porting disaster because many other players had a myriad of issues stemming from using varying hardware.

Speaking of which, I’m still miffed I can never get GTA 4 to run on this piece of crap OS due to Securom. That’s right. It’ll a major pain in the ass to get any game native on XP/7 to run on 10. Just a thought before you think about taking the plunge.

Plus with the way Microsoft has been adopting underhanded anti-competitive tactics in its Win10 campaign makes me suspicious that it’ll pull the rug from under us after lulling us into a sense of false security.

• xvre says:

It’s a new DirectX version not supported by Win 7 from what I know. But come on… you’re the one choosing to use a 7 year old operating system, for which you had the option to upgrade for free…

• UncleLou says:

Arguably, the main reason we now get Xbox exclusives is because Microsoft wants you to switch to Windows 10. The few etxra game sales probably matter a lot less to them, so offering it for older Windows OS would be entirely detrimental to the strategy.

8. Otterley says:

I’m almost tempted to check the demo out. But the combination of Microsoft Store, UWP and a price of €70 make buying the game an absolute no-go. Enjoying the demo would just be frustrating :/

9. April March says:

I pressed the button to play the game on the Windows Store… and it actually sent me somewhere where I could download the game. This is an unprecedented success!

10. ephesus64 says:

Bothered me since the article went up, what is a parp? I had to do some googling to figure it out:
    link to dictionary.cambridge.org
    Now, with feeling: Parp parp!

Benratha says:

On a hippie trail, head full of zombies?
    (alt-text looked familiar)