The Foxer

The Nissen hut is abuzz with anticipation. When General Bodymaster enters flanked by his two favourite handmaidens, Mason and Haughey, the hubbub swells momentarily before subsiding like a spent Sword Beach breaker. All eyes are on the General as he refills his pipe, leafs through a battered copy of Pilgrim’s Progress, completes a crossword puzzle, consumes an imaginary banana, clears his throat and, in that cobweb-billowing baritone of his, speaks.

“Today, gentlemen, we defox.”

The answers to last week’s “25 things you might find on, in or under a mountain” foxer

1. WTH RSTTN weather station (Little_Crow)
2. DLWSS edelweiss (Little_Crow, slapcup)
3. BRZZS PR Abruzzi Spur (Stugle)
4. CHMS chamois (Stugle)
5. HR LNBLCK Harlon Block (Little_Crow)
6. STRD ST Star Dust (slapcup)
7. HR MNNMR Hermann Maier (Stugle)
8. CLR couloir (slapcup ½)
9. GRGML LRY George Mallory (Little_Crow)
10. HD Heidi (unsolved)
11. VLN CHCRD avalanche cord (Little_Crow)
12. GR NBTS Green Boots (AbyssUK)
13. RKNSTN Arkenstone (Little_Crow)
14. T RLN tree line (slapcup)
15. TNCM MNDMNTS Ten Commandments (Matchstick)
16. TZ Ötzi (Stugle)
17. PPPRSSS Peppersass (Blake)
18. MRMT marmot (Little_Crow)
19. THN Athena (Little_Crow)
20. CSTLWL FNSTN Castle Wolfenstein (AFKAMC, Stugle)
21. NDF* fondue (Blake)
22. NCR* cairn (Matchstick)
23. XB* ibex (Matchstick)
24. X C* ice axe (Matchstick)
25. RNYNNZ GTG* Tenzing Norgay (slapcup)

* * *

Foxer Fact #622

Devised as a means of covert identification by persecuted Barrabian defoxers during the Apostolov era, and later used openly by participants in the Umbrella Revolution, the F-shaped ‘defoxer’s salute’ is formed by an extended left-hand index finger crossed perpendicularly by the extended middle and index finger of the right hand. Originally the gesture was made as inconspicuously as possible upside-down close to the body, but during the momentous protests of May 2002 it was generally made ‘the right way up’ above the head. In Joyce Mackie’s iconic photograph of a rebel T-72 MBT surrounded by a sea of umbrellas in Zosimas Square, the tank driver in the centre of the picture can be seen giving the salute.

From this site

1. Stugle says:

The picture of the pilot is Denzel Washington in the movie ‘Flight’.

2. AFKAMC says:

Looks like Denzel’s got the nose of a B-29 Superfortress under his chin – but I’m wondering if it’s a Tupolev Tu-4 “Bull”.

3. Stugle says:

Looks like a B-29 hiding in the center of the image, behind the various photos and that picture of the rocket launcher.

4. AFKAMC says:

Helicopter might be a (Super) Puma?

Syt says:

Missile Launcher could be a Russian Iskander?

6. Stugle says:

The armored vehicle bottom right looks like an Italian self-propelled gun. Perhaps the Semovente 75/18 (this brings back memories of the Battle of the Perfectly Rectangular Olive Grove)?

• Rorschach617 says:

Sorry I’m late.

Spent a little time on this one, looking at Carden-Loyd tankettes (narrow tracks always suggest inter-war armour to me).

It’s a Konsomolets t20 armoured tractor.

link to en.wikipedia.org

Not convinced? Yes, the MG mount is wrong on the pictures on the page above. But look at the pictures on the page below about the Konsomolets armed with a 57mm AT gun (ZiS 30)

link to en.wikipedia.org

7. Stugle says:

The lion with the fish tail on the coat of arms is apparently a sealion.

8. Shiloh says:

The chap in the cameo is Captain Lemuel Gulliver, from 1726 German edition of Gulliver’s Travels.

EDIT: not the German edition, but this image I think

link to myartprints.co.uk

9. Shiloh says:

The single stack sidewheeler paddle steamer looks very US Civil War-ish, I can’t find the exact picture though.

10. AFKAMC says:

I can see a few professional darts players in there:

Mark “The Spider” Webster
    Eric Bristow
    Trina Gulliver
    Terrence “The Bull” Jenkins

I also note that darts have flights

11. AFKAMC says:

The cowling on the biplane resembles that of a Parnall Elf, but the undercarriage doesn’t look the same…

• AFKAMC says:

In the mother of all tenuous links, I would point out that flint arrowheads dug up by farmer’s ploughs were apparently known (in Britain, at least), as elf arrows or darts.

• Stugle says:

The undercarriage doesn’t look the same, and only three Elfs were built (meaning you’d have two thirds of all machines in that one picture)… But it certainly seems to fit otherwise. A lot better than the Tiger Moths I’ve been looking at.

phuzz says:

The train cockpit, it’s this one here. It’s an add on for Train Simulator, a “Grand Central Class 180 ‘Adelante’ DMU”, which I found by looking through every bloody Train Simulator DLC on Steam (fortunately it was at around the 40% mark), and now I’m hungry and grumpy. You’re welcome :(

• Stugle says:

I appreciate the sacrifice of your mealtime. :)

phuzz says:

Ok, I’ve had some food and I’m a bit happier.
        It seems like US trains generally have the driver on the right, and everywhere else has the driver on the left, why is that?
        Guessing that this meant I was looking for a European train, with two or more windscreens that was relatively modern made the brute force search a bit faster. I’m still astonished by the fact that people buy all that DLC for Train sim though.

phuzz says:

Turns out there’s over 290 different bits of DLC for Train Simulator, and together they cost over £3500.
          I know this because I added them all to my Steam shopping basket and now have to remove each one individually, help!

• Stugle says:

Ooh, 180, now I get it.

13. Panzerschwein says:

The orange barrels are from Donkey Kong and Google tells me that Robbie “Kong” Green is a darts player.

Comment on this story