Space Hulk: Deathwing Stomping Into December

Space Hulk: Deathwing [official site] finally has a release date, announced today by publisher Focus Home: December 9th. Deathwing is a new FPS adaptation of Games Workshop’s Warhammer 40k spin-off, with Space Marines tromping onto colossal warped spaceships to salvage ancient treasure and smash aliens. You’ve got a month to prepare, so draw up a schedule for the essentials: plug in storm hammer for a deep charge; polish helmet; doodle “Aetius Maximianus Caelius ♡ The Emperor” in Sharpie on armour; check Urban Dictionary for cool new names that hip initiates call aliens.

Deathwing will see a Space Marine Terminator squad tromping into space hulks, derelict conglomerations of ships, asteroids, and goodness know what else which drift through space and the warp. They’re often full of rare and treasured artefacts, and also monsters. In co-op with real squadpals or on your tod with AI bots filling in, you’ll stomp through space hulks completing objectives and blowing up hordes of Genestealers.

Deathwing is made by Streum On Studio, the French gang behind the weird and pleasingly overambitious E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy. I have high hopes that Deathwing will be a bit weird too. Over-the-top British sci-fi should always over-reach. I do like that Streum On seem to have captured the huge scale and ornate detailing of WH40K environments. Absolutely I want to visit these flying spacecathedrals with my warpals.

December 9th. Smashing.

From this site

Oakreef says:

looking forward to death hulk wing space

2. DarkFenix says:

One of my most anticipated games currently, but I want to see some proper, representative gameplay footage before I pony up the pounds. Hopefully they’ll let a few Youtubers loose on it before release.

• Maxheadroom says:

There was a time not so long ago that an announcement of a new 40k game would fill me with boyish glee, but now that they’re whoring out the licence to all and sundry there’s more chance of it being some 3rd rate mobile port knock-off

I’ll admit the trailer looks kinda nice but even if it turns out to be halfway decent it’ll be the exception rather than the rule unfortunately

• DarkFenix says:

I enjoyed these devs’ last offering and what I’ve seen of SHDW so far looks good, but it’s always edited together snippets of a few seconds. So they don’t really represent normal gameplay, these could be the only bits where they could get a framerate above 10, could be heavily scripted, could be graphically enhanced above the version consumers will get.

I’m a big bundle of cynicism now and only comprehensive reviews or lengthy and clearly untampered gameplay footage can make me a believer.

3. Rolento says:

Please let this be as good as its visuals!?

4. NickAragua says:

I like how the guy missed the genestealer with a couple of the shots and you could hear a little ‘ding’ as the bullets hit the bell.

5. Hensler says:

Hopefully this turns out better than the turn based strategy version of Space Hulk from a while back. I really wanted to like that game.

6. Artist says:

Warhammer 40k: Facewing! Be good, please be good!

7. kud13 says:

E.Y.E had many flaws, but Streum On absolutely got the “feeling like a bad-ass” part of it right. That gives me high hopes they’ll do this justice.

8. buzzmong says:

I feel Alec needs to be the one covering this game for more SPACE HULK SPACE HULK SPACE HULK.

As an aside, this game has caused me to break my pre-order embargo. I might get burnt, but all the videos thus far have shown interesting things (it’s also pretty too), and as it’s the chaps behind E.Y.E, hopefully it’ll actually have some interesting nuances rather than being a plain L4D romp.

9. Blutsuechtiger says:

Remember:

When you buy it on Steam, you can get a refund within 2 hours of playtime.

I dont think this will be a candidate, but just for your info.

10. Vacuity729 says:

This looks pretty awesome. I also can’t help but feel that this is what VR tech would turn from atmospheric into gut-wrenchingly traumatic.

I’m hoping for a WIT on the game.

11. sean says:

really hope this is a spiritual sequal to 40K Spacemarine love that game more than a 7/10 but not so involved that you can’t put it down if needed.

Comment on this story