Nihon Falcom’s Xanadu Next Finally In English On PC

Xanadu Next [official site], an action-RPG by The Legend of Heroes and Ys series developers Nihon Falcom, has finally received an official English version – 11 years after its original release. Well, it’s finally received an official English version that isn’t on the ha-ha-hilarious Nokia N-Gage game-o-phone. The noughties, eh? What a curious half-way for pocket phone technology. Point is: if you fancy more Falcom-y action-RPGing, you can now venture to Harlech Island to investigate strange sightings of a ghostly castle (and duff up baddies).

It’s “an exploration-centric action RPG”, according to publishers Xseed, which I think means you get to enjoy exploring a world and uncovering its secrets and shortcuts in-between duffing up monsters. What’s it all about? Xseed say:

“Whenever mist hangs over Lake Orwell, sailors catch sight of a phantom castle just out of reach. As they draw near, it fades away, leaving only questions for all who have seen this “Castle Strangerock.” Now, you must aid your charge in uncovering its secrets… even if it costs you your very soul.”

Spooky-ooky!

Fans have translated Xanadu Next’s Windows release over the years but this here is an official release, clean and honest.

I’ll admit I’m out of my depth here. I haven’t played Xanadu Next. Heck, I haven’t played a Ys game, though the series has trickled onto Steam in recent years. But I do know Nihon Falcom have fans, so I share this news with you.

Xanadu Next is about £15.29/17,99€/$17.99 Steam, GOG, and the Humble Store.

From this site

1. a very affectionate parrot says:

I’ve played the english patched version and it’s a damn fine ARPG. Doesn’t really have much to do with the rest of the series outside of references so you don’t need to have played any other Xanadu or even falcom game to appreciate it.

2. kingfelix says:

I do love falcom and I look forward to picking this up!

3. Yglorba says:

I wish they’d put Vantage Master Japan on Steam and do a translation for it. It’s one of the best strategy-RPGs ever made IMHO (they released a free translation of the original Vantage Master on their website, albeit a very engrishy one, but it doesn’t quite have the depth of Vantage Master Japan.) It’s a strategy RPG based around summoning monsters in combat, with a new type of summon or spell as the reward for each fight. My favorite part is the spells that can raise or lower the water level on each stage.

Speaking of free Falcom games, they also give away Lord Monarch for free, although it doesn’t have the depth of Vantage Master.

4. Ansob says:

Play Ys Origin or Oath in Felghana, for god’s sake! They’re some of the best action-RPGs and have some of the best music.

5. BooleanBob says:

And then getting someone to pay you for it.

6. Emeraude says:

As a long time Nihon Falcom fan, glad to see this one coming back. Some very nice examples of game design in there.

Must say it makes me feel old though… ten years since I brought back my copy from Japan…

Comment on this story