Witcher 2 & Starbound Among Latest GOG Connect Offer

The Witcher 2, Frozen Synapse, and Starbound are among the latest games that GOG will let you redeem free on their DRM-free store if you own ’em on Steam. The virtuous virtual vendors of vintage (and virgin) video games call this process GOG Connect. The offer comes and goes — though the games are for keepsies — and the lineup shifts, so do have a gander if you fancy some handy DRM-free backups.

Head on over to the GOG Connect page, sign in to a GOG account, then connect it to your Steam account, and it’ll have a look to see what you can get. It’ll permanently add the games to your GOG account and, obviously, you’ll still keep them on Steam.

It’s not huge but it’s handy, isn’t it? I’m sure GOG are hoping I’ll stick around and come to them first next time I’m shopping but hey, I’m fine with that.

This latest GOG Connect offer will mostly end on November 13th at 10:59am – the same time as GOG’s autumn sale will end. The Witcher games will be available a little longer, until December 7th.

Here’s the full latest GOG Connect lineup:

The Witcher Adventure Game
Vangers
Worms World Party Remastered
Zombie Shooter

From this site

1. Michael Fogg says:

Could a business-savvy commenter perhaps illuminate how this works, for whose benefit and who pays for it? Does GOG offer freebies in the hope that people would choose their DMR free versions just to get eyes on their website? If so, why does Steam allow their direct competitor to have such an advantage?

• mukuste says:

It’s just to create attention and to get people more invested into their GOG library.

I don’t think Steam has to “allow” anything here, GOG just scans your Steam profile (which has to be public) and uses that information to add some games to your GOG library.

• Booker says:

The main argument from people who only use Steam and only want to use Steam, is usually that they already have all their games there. So it looks like a good strategy to make sure they don’t have all of their games there.

The funny thing is, that the GOG library often is a little bit more interesting, because they usually offer some files beyond the mere game. On Steam this is still rare. Steam hardly offers more than maybe a soundtrack here and there.

2. Jay Load says:

Interesting, I have Metro 2033 Redux, bought last week actually, but that hasn’t come across…

3. Haxton Fale says:

A bit annoying that you don’t just need to own all the components of Sins Rebellion Ultimate, you actually have to own the package on Steam. I had bought the thing piecemeal, because most of it wasn’t even out when I first got the game… I shot them an email though so here’s hoping for the best!

• internisus says:

Same. I was surprised to see GOG Connect say that I didn’t own Sins, so I hopped over to Steam to see what the package includes. Guess what? I own everything in the package, but not the package itself. You would think that Steam could automatically register the package to your account then, or at least let you do it manually, at no cost, but instead, absurdly, there’s a full price tag at the bottom. I took a screenshot because it’s so damned silly: link to imgur.com

• jaronimoe says:

you could try to purchase the complete package on steam. steam removes the cost for all pieces of dlc that you already own, so it should cost you 0$ – but then you officially own the complete package and GOG should recognize it.

• Haxton Fale says:

As you can see in the image above, it doesn’t.

Only some bundles have moved to the new system that actually calculates the price based on what you already own and the bundle discount, there’s still a nontrivial amount of bundles that still work in the old way, and apparently Sins Rebellion Ultimate is one of them.

EDIT: I actually just went and checked myself. It won’t say that I’d be losing money, rather than saving any, but I can buy the whole package for £30 in spite of owning all its parts.

• internisus says:

I think that the bit on my screenshot that says I’d be losing money is an insert from Enhanced Steam that tells you the difference between buying the package and buying its contents individually.

• welverin says:

There’s no reason for Steam to give you the Ultimate edition, other than preventing you from buying something you effectively own already, but that’s hardly a major concern. How often would that come up, you should know you already own after all.

• Camerooni says:

Email someone at gog and ask them if they’d thought about that?

The last round my Dawn of Discovery collection wasn’t being recognised despite my Steam account showing that I own each piece individually AND the package – and they added a few more appIDs/packageIDs etc to their checks and it then gave me the copy of Anno which frankly is brilliant considering I now have a library of about 60 games on gog but have actually never bought anything from them (yet).

4. Lord Byte says:

Sadly it does not work the other way round, would love to have Witcher 2 and 3 on Steam ;)

DelrueOfDetroit says:

You would think that the Witcher games would have been on offer from the start.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Although, The Witcher games have had this feature for years, but it wasn’t called GoG connect then and only worked with CDPR’s own games. I bought TW2 on Steam when it was on sale/free weekend and then got TW2 on GoG. Only played like 2 hours on Steam and played through it twice with the GoG version.

Unlike Lord Byte above, I don’t want my GoG games on Steam, I’d rather buy/have games on GoG than Steam (although for modern games it doesn’t matter much).

6. internisus says:

I continue to be impressed by GOG’s generosity here. I wonder if Connect actually brings them a significant increase in customers.

7. Booker says:

It’s kinda funny how I already have most of these games, but on GOG not Steam, so nothing to add for me. :D

8. Swordfishtrombone says:

I’m sure it was already possible to redeem the first two Witcher games via GOG if you own them on Steam. Or am I getting confused?

• markzero says:

Yes, it’s been a thing for a long time, but I suspect a lot of people didn’t know, so they added it this way, too.

Links are probably frowned on, but if you Google “Witcher GOG backup” you should see the direct GOG link to add your Witcher product keys.

9. Zekiel says:

I still don’t get this. I own Witcher 2 on GOG and I bought it on GOG rather than Steam (where it was slightly cheaper) in order to support GOG. Now it feels like I’m being punished for this (because I still only have it on one platform, while if I’d bought it on Steam I’d be able to own it on both Steam and GOG now).

I’m not asking for my money back or anything, I just feel like this incentivises me to buy on Steam rather than GoG in future, which seems like the opposite of what GOG want.

Comment on this story