Mass Effect: Andromeda Trailer Shows New Worlds

Mass Effect: Andromeda [official site] is boldly going where no Mass Effect has gone before, taking BioWare’s sci-fi RPG series to a new galaxy, in the far future of the original trilogy’s far future setting. Because of the N7 designation held by Mass Effect protagonists, November 7th is to Mass Effect what May 4th is to Star Wars, and today brought a new cinematic trailer showing some giant monstrosities, a bland default player character who you’ll probably want to edit immediately, and some ominous voiceovers. Take a look.

I was hoping for a release date, so I’d have some actual news to report, but Spring 2017 is as much as we’ve been told for now. And it’s a shame that we’re going to have wait longer for actual in-game footage, though the end of this trailer does tell us when to expect that at least – December 1st at The Game Awards.

As well as starting a brand new story in a new time and place, Andromeda is going the open world route, though there’s no evidence of how that’ll work here. Instead, we learn that the protagonist (presumably) is a special boy (or lady, should you choose) and that there are all kinds of unpleasant things going on in the Andromeda system, including the presence of a baddie who appears to have a halo of flesh.

I’d thought Andromeda was a little bit like Star Trek Voyager, with the crew zapped across space and trying to find their way home, but they’re actually looking for a new home. So it’s a bit like real estate TV show A Place In The Sun, but in space – A Place In The Proximity Of An Entirely New Sun. Of course, this sun appears to be very close to mean aliens, doomy prophets and the kind of mysterious tech that makes me think there’ll either be another load of precursor robot monsters, or some kind of mystical hocus pocus. Whatever the case, someone is going to have to blow up the bad things, and the trailer is heavy on that kind of action and light on the character-building.

From this site

1. Pilgore says:

Looks….kinda bland? I ADORE Mass Effect (2007) but Bioware/EA is such a different company now and ME2&3 went in such a different direction that it’s hard for me to get excited anymore about Bioware. Hopefully it’s not all about huge open locals and collecting shar…I mean space rocks.

• Zenicetus says:

I got a bland and generic vibe from it too, but it’s hard to tell what the overall experience will be when they’re mainly showing cinematic action bits like this.

Speaking of bland, I hope they refine the male protagonist a little more than what’s shown here. Just a generic pretty boy face, nothing distinctive and memorable. I think the male Shep from the previous series at least had a face you could remember. Maybe I’m just spoiled by games like Witcher 3 now, that have memorable faces.

• Don Reba says:

I’m hoping Shamus Young will make a thorough review.

• gpown says:

Wasn’t ME1 bland though? It did great to build the world, but there was a barely passable plot, generic synthetic baddies with a prophet and a bigger synthetic baddie behind them. Plus a focus on exploration.

I’m fully expecting Andromeda to mirror ME1 in those regards, while having pleasant mechanics from 2&3.

• Pilgore says:

The plot, tone and characters were great. It’s also the only entry in the trilogy with an actual good villain (Saren). The Geth were in every game and were way more interesting than The Collectors in ME2 (the dumb insectoid looking dudes). The pacing was also really good with almost every story mission. I loved the Mako and exploring planets even if it usually resulted in finding a base with a few dudes in it waiting to get killed. Sovereign (the “bigger” bad). had some awesome lines and was far more of a threat than Harbinger I thought (the “big bad” in ME3, which did fuck all in the entire game, remember…..Marauder Shields). Plus the soundtrack is fantastic (flying off with your crew into space as M4 by Faunts starts playing and the credits start to roll is one of my favourite video game related memories). ME1 is probably one of my favorite games ever. It’s like a really good season of Farscape or Stargate or Star Trek:TNG. A charming, sometimes clunky, heartwarming adventure. ME2 and 3 were big, screaming and loud “blockbuster” sci-fi games that lost most of that charm and heart ME1 had. This happens- to a lesser extent -with the Dragon Age series as well.

• malkav11 says:

It felt kind of generic at the time, but in hindsight it does the grand SF epic much more coherently and colorfully than the later entries, with absolutely gorgeous and creative planets to explore (not the side stuff, the main plot planets), a proper multifaceted villain with worse lurking behind him, and some really spectacular set pieces. I don’t dislike either of the sequels, but they both make significant missteps and if Bioware ever had a consistent, thematically resonant arc for the entire trilogy they clearly lost sight of it between 1 and 2.

That said, I feel like the open-ish exploration from Dragon Age Inquisition would fit much more naturally in a Mass Effect game where you’re exploring a bunch of disparate planets and establishing outposts, etc. Hopefully that’s what Andromeda’s going to be.

• Pich says:

I just hope that any Ancient Evil stay the fuck asleep.

• KastaRules says:

I second that!

2. liquidsoap89 says:

It looks like quite a departure from the previous Mass Effects, at least in terms of the general vibe. I know the ME games were always light on the RPG stuff, but I’m hoping this doesn’t go full action/adventure on us.

The biotic combos in ME3 made it one of the most fun games I’ve honestly ever played, so I’m really hoping that stuff returns.

Andy_Panthro says:

It did look like they might go action/adventure. They’d already reduced the RPG bits over the course of Mass Effect, so I would only expect them to go further in the same direction.

The bit with the weird tentacle robot monster thing looked very third-person-shooter-ish.

• Frosty_2.0 says:

I can’t see it going much lighter than ME3 but we’ll see. That cinematic trailer didn’t move me either, felt a bit bland as others have commented.

The Biotic & Tech combos were great fun, in Co-op they really shined with cross-class combos being primed & detonated all over and the classes & abilities introduced in updates. Based on those Co-op updates I think they have a really solid combat base to build from.

3. internisus says:

Pretty disappointed to not see a gameplay demo today.

4. Laurentius says:

Meh, I can’t stand these games upping up stakes all the time so we are forever stuck in this loop: superbig threat to destroy world, super bad villan blah-di-blah. It’s boring and it’s not working. There are so many stories to tell in sci-fi ( or fantasy as well, even in Witcher3 main quest came to a boring saving a world from badie, who came so week, King of the Wild Hund end up having 12 lines in whole game, what ?). It’s so wierd, if you read ME codexes, so much of it’s relatively down to earth, conflicts between Humans and Turians etc. So, ok throw me into ne world, with its own internal conflicts and stuff but this looks like too much of DA:I with its silly plot.

• Abacus says:

I tend to give TW3’s “big baddie and the end of the world” thing a pass because I felt like the focus on the Geralt/Ciri relationship was so good and overshadowed both Tin Man and the Conjunction of the Spheres (which admittedly had been hinted at since the first game). Geralt and Ciri were the glue that held it all together, whereas I feel like most Bioware games are missing that. Shepard was such a boring blank slate (yeah, even female Shep) I hardly even remember the conclusion to the three Mass Effect games.

• UnholySmoke says:

Wow, you got all that from a 90-second cinematic trailer?

If you like space games but you’re not into saving the galaxy, try Kerbal Space Program maybe.

• Turkey says:

It would be cool if it was basically about being a space cop/ranger type person, and the plot was just precinct drama.

• Frosty_2.0 says:

Yeah, I think they need to get away from the “apocalyptic big bad of the day” setup, at least at the beginning of the story.

I think a strength of Baldur’s Gate 2 for example was it still felt like a personal story going after Imoen, discovering Irenicus’ plans for you, fighting for your souls.

5. Ghostwise says:

Oddly enough I can’t muster interest.

I loved loved loved ME/ME2/ME3, I am hugely attached to my Shepard (who is, obviously, the coolest Shepard of all Shepardses)…

But that’s precisely it. Her story is over. Everything wot needed to be done got done, and it was awesome. What’s left ?

6. Von Uber says:

Shame they chose to go with a male protag for the reveal as always, had hoped they’d at least change that.

I’m curiously not that interested in not!shepard; it just looks.. bland? Unoriginal? Same plot as always?

Andy_Panthro says:

I lost my reply, so I’ll try again (with my luck it’s probably on a different post…)

Isn’t Andromeda going to have a brother/sister player character choice? With the other one hanging around, or am I thinking of another game? Because I thought that was an interesting idea, but there seemed to be no sign of a sibling in that trailer.

• Von Uber says:

That’s the rumour, yes. But as you say there is no sign in the trailer, or any indication that you can play as anything else but Chiselly McChishell jaw.

I had hoped that they would do something different this time around but I guess not.

Ninja Dodo says:

Didn’t they focus on the lady in the last trailer (not the 4K gameplay teaser)? (link to youtube.com)

• Von Uber says:

No – they have only featured her once, and that was in a brief glimpse at the end of the first trailer.

Ninja Dodo says:

Well, she was the first player character shown in a full-on trailer is kind of my point. I mean if you’re keeping score I guess they featured man-Ryder in the 4K teaser and in this new trailer, but they’re not done promoting this thing exactly and it seems like they’re giving both characters a fair shake. Anyway, FemShep all the way for me so I too look forward to seeing more of badass lady astronaut.

• Fredward says:

They’re switching for each trailer apparently: link to twitter.com

Mungrul says:

An entire galaxy away, and the inhabitants are bipedal humanoids?

I dearly wish someone would do some proper imaginative sci-fi with one of these big blockbuster games.

• DasBilligeAlien says:

The reason for that is so simple. You cant motion capture wierd multilimped aliens. And that would make the game much more expansive.

But i wholeheartly agree. There are so many interesting ways of locomotion and handling things. The Birrin or the Galkgrost come to mind.

• Lieutenant_Scrotes says:

To be fair the Mass Effect series does include a significant amount of sapient non-humanoid species. It’s just that in general they don’t have significant roles in the narrative; for obvious reasons.

Ninja Dodo says:

Because sentient blobs are super-relatable… (Blasto notwithstanding)

8. CMaster says:

Still no Elchor crewmates?

Also, even more cut-scene dumbness from our characters, watching idly with drawn guns as the bad guy walks up to toy with them,

Ninja Dodo says:

Looks great. Between all the things they’ve shown or hinted at so far I remain suitably hyped. Was less sold on the 4K gameplay tease (mostly because I could not care less about tiny pixels) and they didn’t show much that time other than jetpacks and some talking, but I’m liking all the trailers. Curious to see more.

10. Gordon Shock says:

I like it!

The possibility of going to Andromeda is so remote that they (the writers) can let their imaginations run completely wild.

Let’s just that the main story that binds those shots together is neither a reflection of our time (looking at you utterly bland Battlestar Galactic) or some weak attempt at proving that only humans can be right or righteous (looking at you TNG).

11. Robomonk says:

Err… where do Bioware get their ideas for their character models? Super sexy people from FHM/GQ/Calvin Klein ads? I supposed it’s more relatable and “romanceable” than something that looks like an orb of energy or a person that resembles a spotty and emaciated desk jockey.

12. Robomonk says:

Everyone, there is still hope for a good Zoids PC game (1:13). Zoids!

13. Faults says:

For all the people complaining that Bioware’s character models look too pretty – You do realise you’ll be able to customise your character to make them as ugly as you like, right? Why such anger?

Anyway, I’m pretty jazzed by this. A friend of mine who is working on the game was enthusing to me at length about how amazing Frostbite is to work with and all the cool stuff they’re creating for it, so I’m confident that it’s gonna turn out to be at the very least a lot of fun.

Quite honestly though, I’ll be happy of all they do is take Dragon Age: Inquisition’s formula and put it IN SPAAAAAAAACE. That game is absolutely one of my favourites in recent years.

• Zenicetus says:

It’s not anger, it’s disappointment that the baseline for customization is so bland. That protagonist face has a designed-by-committee look, as if the Bioware legal department wanted a generic pretty boy model so it didn’t get too close to any recognizable real-life actor who might sue them.

Anyway, I just like my protagonists to have some facial character, even if I can still modify the face with tattoos, frowns, eye color, or whatever. I’m going to be staring at that same face (or the female equivalent) for a long time, if this is a typical ME game series.

• Faults says:

Did you play Dragon Age: Inquisition at all? It looks like Bioware are pulling a lot of systems from that game for ME:A, and the character generation there was insanely customisable. I mean, I’m not really sure how far you’d personally want to go, but you can definitely do stuff pretty far removed from ‘Typical Calvin Klein Model’ :)

14. SuicideKing says:

That trailer gave me a Halo vibe, if anything.

• brucethemoose says:

If ME 1-3 are Halo 1-3, then this gives me a Halo 4 vibe.

That’s not a good thing. 4 is when the Halo franchise lost all of its… class.

15. GunnerMcCaffrey says:

Thank goodness the space lady’s suit is specially designed to accentuate her butt so we know who’s who. Tell us again, Bioware, how you’re champions of inclusion and diversity in games.

• Faults says:

What’s that old adage about the place where the one-eyed man is king again?

• brucethemoose says:

What, so sexually dimorphic armor isn’t allowed?

For all intensive purposes, these are individuals wearing very functional clothes. Seeing what real people wear now, it’s not hard to imagine Andromeda people wanting to wear something attractive. They’re just human(oid) after all.

Now, you could argue that these are military combat suits, not dresses. But that’s not part of the vibe, I don’t think. As far as I can tell, they’re supposed to be explorers, not soldiers, so they have some say in what gear they wear.

• Raoul Duke says:

For all intensive purposes

It’s a doggy-dog world, after all.

• James0 says:

You don’t seem to get male and female soldiers wearing vastly different shaped armour in real life, presumably because their bodies are almost exactly the same shape. It wouldn’t be so annoying if the guys got sexy armour too, but apparently that offends people. Actually, why couldn’t they at least give us an option to have slutty male outfits, the same way there was an option to give Miranda a marginally less slutty catsuit in ME2?

• brucethemoose says:

“Presumably because their bodies are almost exactly the same shape”

Not in ME, they aren’t.

I suppose that’s a core issues. Everyone’s body is basically superhuman, and the armor wouldn’t look so different if their sexual characteristics (for both genders) weren’t so extreme.

I think guys should get sexy armor too… Maybe they will. Male Cerberus uniforms were already rather tight, just not Miranda latex-tight.

• Don Reba says:

Does it make buttless people feel excluded? I don’t get it.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

Oh, yes you do. There’s little chance that an RPS reader has managed to completely avoid the idea that years of demonstratively sexualizing female characters as a matter of course creates an environment more welcoming to men.

But, if you have so managed, welcome to the present, I guess? Wait until you discover DVD players. Very exciting time for you.

• Don Reba says:

Creating an environment more welcoming to men sounds like a good thing. And I don’t see why it would not be as welcoming or more to women at the same time. It’s not a zero-sum game, after all.

16. Raoul Duke says:

Is it just me, or do the graphics just look really bad? Especially all the bits with cyber lights and crap swirling up in a column into the air – looks like a PS3 game. The outdoor areas look a bit better (but reek of set pieces rather than RPG-ish freedom).

17. Louvellan says:

I am disappointed. I adore the ME trilogy, always loved its blend of modern themes and sci fi tropes, I thought it created something unique and appealing to a broader mass. Rare enough for this kind of fiction !
    I have fond memories of all three games, though like most of you, I grew more attached to ME1 than the rest. It was more self sufficient and did the whole sci fi adventure better, with more complex and nuanced narration, while the rest of the series fell in the easy “Us vs them”, them being one-dimensional superevil murderbots.

Hmmh ? Ah yes, my point. Well, this trailer looks bland and sad. I know it is a mere minute and a half, but isn’t that worrying ? That the big cinematic story trailer, so short in length, doesn’t feature anything that makes it stand out from the rest of the sci fi actioney pack ? That they couldn’t cram something in it that would have me go “Now this is the real thing ! Now that is Mass Effect !” ?
    I will reserve my judgement for now, but I can’t help but feeling disappointed. I was all hyped up for more of ME’s universe, perhaps in a more mature tone, showcasing internal tensions in the Council amidst the pyrrhic victory over the Reapahs… But no, let’s take our things and leave to someplace else where they also have generic one-sided villains. I may be harsh, but the games set the bar high for my expectations.

• A Wanderer says:

I feel like they could have gone two different ways :
      -a more “mature” (I hate this word, but still) story, showcasing, as you said, moral ambiguity and the aftermath of this bitter victory.
      OR
      -something entirely different from the trilogy, a bit akin to ME1 and at least its first half. Something that would rely on pure exploration, on discovering an entirely new world, a game that would truly evoke good old lighthearted exploration sci-fi – which, at least for me, would go very well with ME’s art style and open-minded galactic societies.

With the first trailer, I thought they would go the second route, and I was hyped as hell, but apparently they’re not really wanting to do this, so…

• Louvellan says:

I agree with you completely. Those were two good options, I think, both had potential and offered enough creative room to make something interesting out of ME’s universe and narrative codes while showing us something new.
        It probably shows from my first comment, your first way was my favoured option as it’s something that was well-explored in 3 (geth/quarians, salarians/krogans, etc) but begged for more, a fully fleshed out post-mortem (that extended cut slideshow was a good start). But number 2 is not without merits either, in fact I feel what you describe is the first raison d’être of sci fi stories. Discovery, exploration, escapism, strange new worlds ! And as you said, it is a natural fit for ME. It could have been the Star Trek TOS video game that’s conspicuously missing from this industry. When I learned that the game moved to another time and space, I was a bit miffed, but, fine ! Exploration ! Thought-provoking discoveries ! New, interesting worlds !

But, as you conclude, this trailer, which was certainly meant to persuade all of us by showing its 90 most appealing seconds, doesn’t indicate any of those ways has been picked. “Generic” comes to mind, and set in the same sentence as “Mass Effect”, it’s a damn tragedy and waste of creative potential. Let us hope we are wrong and Bioware has much up its sleeve to throw at us !

• Zenicetus says:

Well, there is a potential hook they’re developing here with “We are the aliens this time.”

It’s not apparent through the bombast of the trailer, but at least it has potential as a theme. As in “We’re not wanted here, we don’t understand what’s going on, but we have to survive and fit in somehow.” Hopefully by doing something more than shooting every Andromedan in the face.

18. Von Uber says:

BWWHHHHHAAAAAPPPPPPPPP! BWWWHHAAAAARRRRRPPPPPPPP!

ME1 was a long time ago and it shows it was a bit of a flash in the pan.

19. haldolium says:

Guess you can’t get more generic in terms of trailer design, especially with that overused bass.

What an awful waste of time and money.

20. Easy says:

This looks like proper shit. Welcome to the blandisation of mass market entertainment products designed for two-digits ROI.

21. tomaac says:

BAM BAM BAM BAM generic trailer speech BAM BAM BAM ship BAM BAM explosion BAM BAM BAM aliens in different galaxy speak english BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM ass effect trailer BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM pre-order pre-season-pre-order-season-pass BAM BAM EA

Comment on this story