Starbreeze Launch IndieLabs Label With AntiSphere

It is increasingly misleading to refer to Riddick developers Starbreeze Studios as ‘Riddick developers Starbreeze Studios’. It became awkward when they bought Payday devs Overkill Software, then they made the jolly surprising Brothers, they got into publishing, and I always want to highlight/defend Syndicate’s co-op, and… now they have launched a new publishing label. Starbreeze IndieLabs, as you might guess from the name, will fund and publish smaller games by smaller teams. The first IndieLabs game will be AntiSphere [official site], a competitive arena shoot ’em up from Croatian studios Lion Game Lion and Soap Interactive.

Starbreeze plan for developers to get “fair revenue shares” and to keep “a large portion” of the rights to games they bring to IndieLabs. In the case of AntiSphere, they’re keeping all the rights.

What is AntiSphere, anyway? From the few details on its website, I gather it’s is a top-down competitive arena shoot ’em up. With different ships, abilities, and things, you try to shoot eat other. Pew pew! Video games.

Lion Game Lion and Starbreeze know each other well, mind. LGL have worked on Payday 2 DLC and Starbreeze are publishing their co-op WW2 FPS Raid too. While Starbreeze have put (at least) $8 million into Raid, they’re only putting $300,000 into AntiSphere. Smaller games, yeah?

From this site

1. ZIGS says:

Goddammit, I just want a new Riddick game :(

• Eight Rooks says:

Weeeell… technically Starbreeze are no longer “the Riddick guys” in any way, shape or form, since the guys who did those games are now MachineGames IIRC, and the remaining original members of Starbreeze are the ones who thought Riddick, The Darkness et al were all stupid and dumb. So I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

heretic says:

I picked up The Darkness 2 in a recent sale but wasn’t convinced…

The Riddick games however, really great, dark sci-fi romps.

The sound design in Butcher Bay was just amazing. I haven’t seen such great pacing in any FPS since as well (maybe Dishonored comes close?), when you think you’ve finished the game – nope, got a whole other section!

• N'Al says:

The Darkness 2 is a different developer.

It’s a game I never picked up; I absolutely adored The Darkness 1, I have an irrational fear The Darkness 2 might sully my memories of it.

• Eight Rooks says:

Only the first Darkness game was Starbreeze – that one never came to PC. The second was Digital Extremes. I liked them both, though I can see why people wouldn’t – the first one in particular dated badly very quickly as a game (the city “open world” maps were particularly embarrassing). I love the stories, though. The genesis of a great deal of the neat narrative stuff in nuWolfenstein and Riddick is obvious (curling up on the couch with your girlfriend to watch the entirety of To Kill a Mockingbird, just because you can) and Digital Extremes took a fair stab at it in the sequel, IMO. They’re also two of a very small number of games that made me feel genuinely horrified at the things the protagonist/I ended up doing – the final level and the ending of the first Darkness is one of my all-time favorite moments in any videogame.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I picked up The Darkness 2 in a not-so recent sale and *was* convinced, a shame the first one never came to PC. I think of them as the Enclave guys. Although, I only played the demo of it at the time, I’ve since bought Enclave on GoG, where it waits on me…

• N'Al says:

Let me get this straight, the guys who made the Syndicate shooter think Riddick and The Darkness are dumb and stupid? Say what?

• Eight Rooks says:

Seriously, it’s merely Some Guy on the Internet struggling to remember something he read once, so take it with a pinch of salt – but I swear there was some interview I read where prominent people connected with Starbreeze spoke about both those IPs in less than flattering terms. I tried a quick Google just now and nothing’s coming up, though.

2. Psychomorph says:

Riddick game please.

3. Eleriel says:

the link to the official website leads to this article.

Comment on this story