Diablo 3 Battle Chest Packs In Expansion With Discount

If you’re one of those “I’ll wait for the Game of the Year Edition” folks, good news: Diablo 3 [official site] now has one. Blizzard have launched the Diablo 3 Battle Chest, a bundle combining the base game and its expansion, Reaper of Souls, with a small discount. And if you have waited four years for this, nice: after years of patching, Diablo 3 nowadays is good stuff. While I no longer own physical copies of any games, the ‘Battle Chest’ name still warms my heart a little with memories of excitement at buying those big old boxes filled with Blizzardy treats.

You can grab the Diablo 3 Battle Chest as a download from Blizzard for £24.99/$29.99, which is £5/$10 cheaper than buying the game and expansion separately.

Blizzard say a physical release will be in shops too, for folks still into boxes (ooh get you, you’re so retro!), though I can’t imagine it’ll contain much more than some soon-to-be-outdated installation discs and a code to bosh into Battle.net. Or whatever Blizzard end up calling Bnet. Blizzard Online Account Game Service Thing, maybe.

This is coming in time for Blizzard to, yup, start releasing more paid add-ons that aren’t included with this edition. Diablo 2’s Necromancer class will arrive in D3 next year, bringing his skeletal hordes with him.

Still, this is a fine jumping-on point. Most of Diablo 3’s wonkiness has been patched up or patched out (see you in hell, Auction House!) over the years, leaving a pretty swish click-click-clicking action-RPG. Sadly, while the console version can be played offline, on PC it still can’t. I only ever played Diablo 2 through the online ladder myself so I suppose I’m used to that, but that’s rightly a sticking point for some would-be players.

From this site

1. Drib says:

Man, BattleChest. I remember getting these big old boxes way back when.

As convenient and easy on the physical storage space as direct downloads are…

I miss game boxes.

• TheDyingScotsman says:

Lots of games still come out with boxes. It’s true that not all do, but if you choose a digital version over a boxed version when available that’s your choice.

2. Snargelfargen says:

“Sadly, while the console version can be played offline, on PC it still can’t. I only ever played Diablo 2 through the online ladder myself so I suppose I’m used to that, but that’s rightly a sticking point for some would-be players.”

I was one of those folks. There’s no need to join anybody else’s game or let other players drip in on one’s own, so the single-player experience is just fine. Had a great time trundling through it this summer.

It isn’t possible to play the game offline though, so those with poor or intermittent internet (this also used to be me) will regret their purchase.

3. Erithtotl says:

I got Diablo 3 to play with my fiance. I don’t know if I’m missing something, but its literally the most boring game I’ve ever played. We both kept falling asleep while playing.

I guess its all about the high level grind for loot rather than the actual core action RPG experience?

• Robomonk says:

Yeah, that has happened to me too – falling asleep. I’m not a loot grinder myself. Nowadays, I just play it to zone out, or treat it as a pre/post to other games. If you want to try out other action RPG games, maybe check out Grim Dawn, Titan Quest or Path of Exile – if you haven’t done so.

• TheDyingScotsman says:

Titan Quest still rocks and with the Anniversary edition’s release, it’s even better now than it was – and it was always great

• ZigomatiX says:

I don’t get why people suggest Grim Dawn as an alternative.
        I bounced out of it so quickly..
        It’s not a “bad” game, but i find it pretty bland. A bit of a mix between Titan Quest and PoE but without the nervosity of the first and the depth of the second.

• Unclepauly says:

When you get to higher levels there isn’t another game out there like it. Early levels can be a bit too “click-click this is all”? When you get to the 10th level of difficulty it can be a literal light show of splosions and blood n guts and lazors and whatever. It can get pretty intense.

• TheDyingScotsman says:

There’s plenty of games out there like it that do it far better.

Also, neither “splosions” nor “lazors” are words.

• Jediben says:

If you play a Whirlwind barbarian, gameplay is watered down to ‘hold the Whirlwind button’. It makes playing a Mage in WOW look positively frantic.

4. TheDyingScotsman says:

“after years of patching, Diablo 3 nowadays is good stuff”

Err no. Let me stop you right there. The game was never good. Has it gotten better? Sure. However it is still a boring grindfest of a game with little interest to all but the most dedicated players.

Not worth your money.

• that_guy_strife says:

WoW and Hearthstone are also crap titles not worth anyone’s money or time.

Since we’re professing opinions as facts now.

Comment on this story