Dishonored 2 Trailer Champions A Cutthroat Empress

I know how much you like slitting throats, so I got this Dishonored 2 [official site] launch trailer for you. It’s got a lot of your stabby bloodshed in it, but also some other powers available to the discerning murderer, including ‘annoying flies’, the ‘mini warp’ and ‘becoming a living avatar of chaos’. It’s nothing we haven’t seen before but there’s some bits of plot thrown in for good measure. Which is good because plot is your second favourite thing after slitting throats.

It’s teetering on the brink of its Friday 11 release, and we have joined the cabal of journalists fighting to get our thoughts to you in the form of clever words. Of course, this was made a little harder by Bethesda’s continuing hostility to consumers (we didn’t get a review copy until today) but we promise we’ll be as johnny-on-the-spot about it as possible. Picture us reviewing it in a furious montage as an 80s power ballad plays.

In the meantime, at least we know the art of sunny Karnaca is great and the minimum specs have also been revealed for those interested.

[Disclosure: Cara Ellison, former RPS columnist and pally-wal did some writing for Dishonored 2. Her current whereabouts are unknown. If anyone has seen Cara please tell her we are all very worried.]

From this site

1. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Goodness me, the new Outsider’s voice is awful. Generic gravelly videogame voice.

• Darth Gangrel says:

What did you think of Dishonored 1’s Outsider? I thought he was okay, but other people disliked him for various reasons I don’t agree with.

I don’t think I’ll be bothered by the Outsider in Dishonored 2 having a generic gravelly voice either. A generic husky voice for Adam Jensen didn’t negatively effect my playthrough of DX: Human Revolution.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

I liked him, I thought he was suitably mysterious. I know some people didn’t like the mostly flat delivery, but to me it worked for this strange god-creature.

This one won’t ruin the enjoyment of the game, like you say, but it feels like something has been lost. Even using a new voice actor I feel they could have done something more interesting/eldritch, is what I guess I’m saying.

• Mrice says:

Maybe its just me but i thought the outsider had a problem with being far too normal. He just reminded me a lot of my brother, kinda looked the same, same intonation, ect.

If i was designing him i would have tried to make him feel a bit unnatural or otherworldly. The old tropy way of doing that would be to have him as a child or something but i think you could be a lot more creative than that.

• A Wanderer says:

I always saw the Outsider as some kind of Cthulu, with less tentacles and less madness but equally otherworldly motives and power. So he could be pretty much anything really. I liked him in the first game. His french VA had a very casual and amused tone, as if everything that happened was just a captivating game (and it absolutely is from the Outsider’s perspective). And I loved the idea of him/her/it being and looking absolutely normal, to me it actually made it feel even more otherwordly. If I had a say in Dishonord 2, I would have made him appear as a simple citizen in the street, each time a different one.

• MrBehemoth says:

More like a Nyarlathotep: unfathomable and treacherous.

But yes, this was a missed opportunity to make him more ethereal or sinister.

• Lieutenant_Scrotes says:

I like that idea of having him appear as a different nondescript citizen each time, maybe with the eyes or voice being the only thing to betray his presence.

What I’m hoping for is a scene where The Outsider loses his composure (because you disobey or contradict him for example), the facade is lost, and we get a glimpse of the entity’s true nature.

• Chorltonwheelie says:

I would. Lovely dark eyes.

• Arx says:

The Outsider this time around is voiced by Robin Lord Taylor, who plays the Penguin in the TV series Gotham. He’s absolutely delightful in his role as an addled quasi-villainous agent of chaos, and I expected him to take to the Outsider with equal aplomb. I’m a bit disappointed by what I’ve heard in the trailer, but I wouldn’t count him out yet. The new Outsider may yet impress.

2. Stevostin says:

The simple fact that this is its own, original, consistent, unique lore is so encompassing.

3. Robomonk says:

I don’t mind the voice. Robin Lord Taylor seems suitable for the role and I have seen his performance as Penguin, which is good (though, I stopped watching the show).

As for the game, I really hope there is a way to do non lethal knock outs when the opponent sees and/or attacks you, without relying just on sleep darts. I’m currently still trying to play the first game (on and off) without doing any kills (other than the mistakes of not placing the unconscious people on a safe area to prevent rat attacks). Yes, I’m doing a lot saving and reloading.

Aitrus says:

There are a couple non-lethal combat moves that I’ve seen, including non-lethal drop attacks, non-lethal slide-into-enemy’s-legs-and-knock-them-down, and mid-combat choke holds.

Comment on this story