Pew! Get Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Free For Keepsies

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon [official site], Ubisoft’s wacky ’80s parody FPS, is free this month. Trot off this-a-way and you can get it for keepsies through Uplay. Blood Dragon is a smaller spin-off from the sandbox FPS series, with all the trappings of What Is Broadly Accepted By Modern Pop Culture To Be What All Eighties Movies Were Like Even Though They, Y’Know, Weren’t. It’s silly and colourful, it has bad one-liners and honking great dragons who scream lasers, and it’s free.

This is the latest freebie in Ubisoft’s 30th birthday celebrations, where they’ve been giving away one game free on Uplay each month. Others have included Rayman Oranges, The Crew, and Beyond Good & Evil. Blood Dragon came out in 2013 and still costs £12 so that’s not too shabby for the price of registering an account and launching the game through a daft but unobtrusive client.

Our John wasn’t best pleased with Blood Dragon’s eighties-o-wack-wack-wicky-wack-wack-neon-laffo tone but beneath that, hey, it is still Far Cry 3 – not a bad foundation. I’m not into the wacky exagerrated eightiesness that’s been all around in recent years, as I’ve grumbled before, but I do know plenty of folks who dug Blood Dragon. Don’t let ol’ Grumpy Guts Alice Alice Bo-Balice Banana Fanna Fo-Falice Fee-Fy-Mo-Malice ruin your fun.

Me, I’d be more up for Far Cry 2: Blood Dragon, a grim, punishing sandbox with all the mirth and colour of Ronnie Reagan.

Actually, I would be delighted to see an eighties-o-rama aping the physical special effects, cobbled-together costumes, and wobbly sets of B-movies. A bit like how ACE Team’s Deadly Tower of Monsters has faux-fifties special effects mimicking stop-motion animation, hand-painted energy effects, and monsters who are clearly people squeezed into costumes. Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon is far too fancy.

From this site

1. Rao Dao Zao says:

I’ve never actually played a Far Cry since 1, so I’ve managed to so far avoid the modern Ubisoft map-clearing formula everyone raves/rages about. Guess that’s about to change!

(Disclaimer: I liked the mutants in FC1, at least in concept if not practicality.)

2. klops says:

Compulsory Uplay comment here!

3. Talahar says:

From my point of view, the only really bad thing about this is the fact that I already own Blood Dragon. This was my introduction into the open world Far Crys, and it probably was the best one, too. Especially for the price back then. For free? Even better. Get on this!

• Darth Gangrel says:

Blood Dragon is the only game I really want from Ubisoft since they started their infamous journey towards AC-sameyness. However, I still don’t feel like acknowledging that Uplay exists and it’s not like I don’t have other games to play, even ones that fill the same spot as Blood Dragon. Also, the more I wait the cheaper it will get and I’m not pining for it at the moment.

• Zekiel says:

I played this not long after playing its parent game Far Cry 3 and was shocked by how little I liked it. I *loved* Far Cry 3 with its beautiful landscapes, excellent gunplay and colourful cast of characters (your mileage may vary on the last one). In contrast Blood Dragon basically looks consistently horrible (deliberately), and has a cast of awfully boring characters. And as John correctly identified in his WIT, its not nearly as clever or funny as it thinks it is.

The gunplay is still excellent though! And if you hated climbing towers (which I didn’t) then you don’t have to do that.

Also, it’s hard to argue with a price of FREE.

Kushiel says:

The presentation’s definitely divisive. For what it’s worth, I think that the game looks gorgeous. And it’s got a more-or-less perfect soundtrack, as well.

• Spongbo says:

This! After the boring and grindy Far Cry 2, I didn’t want to play 3, especially with all the criticism of the storyline and after an awkward console-based experience at my mate’s place.

But I got Blood Dragon when it was released (cheap!) and had such a great time with it that I went and bought FC3, which was even better, and then FC4, which I must finish some time…

4. Lauski says:

UPlay: USuck! No thanks.

5. Cyda says:

It’s worth getting this just for the intro.

6. gruia says:

UPlay. lul. rather not

7. shocked says:

Thanks, but I wait for the GOG release.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I’d you don’t like the “so 80s!” description you can also go with ‘what Duke Nukem 4ever should have been like.’

9. RaoulDuke says:

I pirated this and uninstalled it after 15 minutes [Including the intro + the “tutorial”, ha. ha. ha. what a funny joke.]

Even as schlock is was terrible, it was a totally soulless pastiche, just pure trash that was insulting to the things it tried to ape [Unsuccessfully].

I don’t think this game is worth even an hour of anyone’s time.

• snowgim says:

I got it cheap, but rage-quit and uninstalled after playing through that tutorial ‘joke’ literally 20 times (note: it does not get funnier with repeat playthroughs) and crashing to desktop every single time, BEFORE the first savepoint.
      At one point I actually got really far into the first level, still no save point, CTD.
      I don’t know if it’s not worth playing, I just know it’s not worth the hassle.

• Zekiel says:

Good grief that tutorial was annoying. “Wouldn’t it be funny to put in an obnoxious boring spoof of a tutorial that comments on how tutorials waste players’ time”. Umm, no Mr Developer, you’re confusing “funny in concept” with “funny in practice”.

The first autosave point was about an HOUR into the game. I only played the tutorial 3 times – it crashed first time forcing replay; then I deliberately quit the game after getting through what I thought was the prologue, and was very confused when there was no Continue option when I booted up the game again the next day. Pretty much unforgiveable.

10. bee says:

I loved this game and desperately want the sequel they said will never happen :(

Comment on this story