Toot! Metro 2033 Publishers Say No New Game In 2017

That story about word of a new Metro coming in 2017? Yeah, the publishers have responding with a statement saying that sure, they’re planning another one but nah, don’t expect such a thing next year. Where a site for the original Metro novels once said 2017 would bring a new game following on from Metro 2035, it now talks about “An untitled Metro project” due in “?”. Gosh, what ever could that be?

Metro publishers Deep Silver lobbed this statement at Facebook yesterday afternoon:

“As the exclusive rights holder to videogames set in the Metro 2033 universe, Deep Silver has ambitious plans for the hugely successful Metro series.

“But just to manage our fans’ expectations – releasing the next Metro game in 2017 is not one of them.

“When we have more news to share, we will.

“Thank you for your patience.”

Aw, you big teases. And that’s ‘video games’, two words, thank you.

The novels’ site had previously said “Where the books end their story, the game will pick it up”. That is now changed to “But the Metro saga doesn’t end where the books leave us…” What a mystery!

In the meantime, you can re-read Wot We Thought of 2010’s Metro 2033 and 2013’s Metro: Last Light, as well as their revamped ‘Redux‘ rereleases from 2014. Short version: they’re decent first-person shooters set along the subway lines of post-apocalyptic Moscow, filled with smashing bleak atmosphere.

From this site

1. inspiredhandle says:

Played 2033 when it first came out on PC, thought it was great. Tried to play the redux a couple of months ago and found the acting really naff. Why can’t I remember it being that way before? The same thing happened with skyrim (not just the acting). Were we all stupid 4-5 years ago?

• Petethegoat says:

Maybe try it in Russian. Subtitles do a great job of hiding poor acting :)

Qazinsky says:

Maybe it’s a bit like graphics, where what was fine or even good a few years ago has been surpassed by games today, so going back makes it all the more jarring.

I dunno, just spitballing here.

Edit: Also, yes, we were dumber five years ago, most people look back at their younger selves and wonder what that moron was thinking.

• inspiredhandle says:

I remember playing Enclave when it came out. Not the best game ever, but it looked amazing (to me) in its day. I forgot the name of it until last week, so I looked up screenshots. Not very impressive these days for sure.

I am used to this happening with graphics and even horrific game mechanics/control schemes, but acting/plot quality usually are slightly better when it comes to aging gracefully (I knew the voice acting was atrocious in resident evil when it came out, even being 7-8 couldn’t hide that from me.)

• M3GA says:

Mandela effect

• inspiredhandle says:

I’ve never experienced this (to my knowledge), I knew Mandela was still alive until he was reported dead and I never read Bearenstain Bears. Is there any other popular examples of the Mandela effect that I might have fallen victim to?

• Jalan says:

Here’s two others, though whether they apply to you or not I obviously couldn’t say:

The color of the end of Pikachu’s tail – some would argue that it’s black, but it is not.

The (Disney) Snow White line regarding the mirror – most commonly remembered as “Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?” is actually “Magic mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of all?”

2. S.Belmont says:

Hope they release more games.. Metro was
    good. The books even better..

Be awesome if they make it more freeform.
    open world?
    In the vein of STALKER, basically..

• Jalan says:

If given the choice, I’d rather have another S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game. If given even more choice, THQ Nordic or Nordic THQ (or however they want to be branded these days) would have no hand in it.

But, I’d settle for more Metro with a slight whiff of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• Pelaf says:

My dream game is Metro mixed with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Imagine gearing up to go to the surface, poke around a bit and scavenge, and then just as you’re on your last five minutes of filters, bandits show up. Gunfire is exchanged and you’ve barely enough time to rifle through the stuff on their bodies, all the while you fight your own bleeding and hope that you can get down below before you suffocate or die from your wounds.
      If that was a “Just another day in Metro” sort of event, I’d never grow tired of that game.

3. Dave3d says:

STALKER is STALKER.
    Metro is Metro.
    I wish companies (and gamers) would keep games seperate from other games, instead of trying to shoehorn mechanics into games that dont need them. They are just checkboxes to get people to buy them, and ALWAYS end up muddying great games down to messy piles of crud.
    Yes, I want a new METRO game, not Metro + other games inside it.

4. Blutsuechtiger says:

The word you were loking for is “Boop!” not “Toot!”

Comment on this story