Test ‘Em Up: Overwatch To Host Free Trial Next Weekend

Blizzard have announced they will host a free long Overwatch [official site] trial weekend from Friday, November 18th through to Monday the 21st. We’ve told you Wot We Think of Blizzard’s class-based multiplayer FPS and chattered about it plenty too, but that’s no substitute for playing it yourself. If you’re interested, mark this on your calendar and start rallying your chums.

The trial will begin at 11am Pacific Time (7pm UK time) on November 18th then end on the 21st at 4pm PT (midnight in the UK). To play, you’ll simply need a Battle.net account and the client. The download will be about 12GB big. Then you’ll get to play p. much the full game, Blizzard explain in their announcement:

“For this free weekend, we’re making Overwatch’s full roster of 22 heroes and 13 maps available for play in a variety of modes, including Quick Play, Custom Games, and the latest Weekly Brawl. Players will also have the ability to level up, earn Loot Boxes, and unlock a variety of different customization options.”

Progress made during the trial will be saved and carry over if you buy the full game too.

This isn’t the first Overwatch free weekend but it is the first to hit PC.

Me, I’m certainly up for this. As much as Blizzard’s Overwatch short films try to convince me it’s a super-serious game about epic struggle, I know it’s a big fun sillyfest with apes and robots and — from what I’ve seen on this here Internet — friendship and romance and dating and marriage and intimacy and occasional bawdy humour. It’s a dating sim where the dates involve shooting people in the face, right? This recent video with a load of the voice actors larking about together only furthers my belief:

From this site

1. Rizlar says:

Sounds great. As someone with too little money and too little competitive spirit to buy Overwatch I relish the opportunity to bumble around for a few days shooting at or near other clueless people. The open beta was really fun.

Lacero says:

alternative headline:
    Overwatch, Underwatch, Watchering Free

3. inspiredhandle says:

Finally! Can’t wait to be justified in my pre-emptive dislike for this title, then I can, at last voice my ire at the amount of overwatch update/esports/ tracer shows off her tits or something articles. I feel the same reflex to moan when there’s MOBA or competitive gaming articles on RPS. The difference here is that I’m willing to give this one a look in to justify my stance.

Or… It’ll be great and I’ll be hooked. Either way…

• MrFinnishDude says:

That’s a peculiar mindset…
      Oh well, people can have their own opinions (especially nowadays), and I applaud that you consider the possibility of you liking the game (which is really rare nowadays).
      I say give it a shot man, maybe you hate it, maybe you wont.
      These free weekends a great for finding these sorts of things out.
      I feel like I should do that too more often.

• inspiredhandle says:

I already know I won’t hate it. Pretty sure I’ll really like it. I do know, however that I’ll have no time for it. Most games to me need either a definite end, or to be cathartic to me personally. My days of twitchy shooties are over I fear. That is what I hate. The unstoppable march of time.

MOBAs I do genuinely think are balls though.

• Moraven says:

Or… It’ll be great and I’ll be hooked. Either way…

Best avoid Roadhog.

4. salgado18 says:

Nice opportunity to see how Overwatch compares to Paladins. Since the first is paid (and expensive), I’ve been playing the later for the last few months, and it’s awesome.

5. LearningToSmile says:

The open beta is definitely what sold me on Overwatch despite mixed impressions beforehand, so if you’re at all interested I’d recommend checking it out.

On the other hand, I spend an unhealthy amount of time playing Overwatch, and I’ve even taken to watching streams for the first time – and not just tournament streams, but just random high level players just playing the game. I never did that! And I’m almost thirty.

But being part of a community for a game that is actually mainstream, popular, and well-supported, it’s certainly a novel feeling for someone who mostly spent his online gaming time on titles that were niche at best, and borderline abandonware(*cough*Tribes*cough*) at worst.

6. Mara says:

For people on slow internet afraid they won’t have time to install the game and still play a lot, you can install it right now without owning it through the Blizzard website.

• Rainshine says:

Thank you for answering my question before I asked it :)
      We’ll see how this goes. I’m definitely not much of a shooter fan, and the aforementioned slow internet has never done me any favors in that genre competitively, but it’s honestly about the only Blizzard series I haven’t tried yet.

Comment on this story