A Few Petty Grievances About Dishonored 2

I hate to be the Dunwall Downer, to be honest. Any other week I perhaps wouldn’t do this, but bloody hell, what a week. (Not you too, Leonard. Not you too). I desperately needed something to feel good about, and I’d hoped Dishonored 2 [official site] would be it. It still might be, but I’m one of those who is enduring a particularly bad dose of its increasingly notorious technical woes. A knock-on effect of that is that, because my immersion is generally and near-constantly disrupted by the shonky performance, design and presentation faults which might otherwise have been minor seem that much more glaring.

My main issue is, of course, technical. Many and various problems are being reported online, in many and various tones of voice. I have shaken no fists at the sky myself, but it’s fair to say this thing and my PC are not the best of friends. I’ll try to be brief, as Adam’s already covered much of this, but in short:

– Initially it would not even load on either my desktop or my laptop. Eventually, the former was resolved by unplugging my Oculus Rift, as reportedly there are some multi-monitor complications. No dice for my laptop though, even after extensive fiddly – frankly, its weeny GPU probably would have left the thing unplayable anyway, but I don’t even get to find out.

– The frame rate is all over the place, regardless of what settings I set. Even standing in the same room, turning on the spot, it’ll lurch between 20 and 75 FPS. During play, it judders and stutters and generally feels awful. It’s both disruptive and slightly nauseating. I can actually have the game near-maxed out and get a full 60+ FPS in some scenes, but a heartbeat later it’ll be through the floor. Same on low.

– If I turn on FXAA (the most performance-effective form an anti-aliasing), many edges have a sort of glowing, dotted white line around them. Looks bad. Thus, my option is either the more expensive TXAA, which my GPU is not very happy about, or no anti-aliasing, which my eyes are not very happy about.

I hope a patch can fix these – I don’t sense that the fault lies with anything in my PC. I should also note that, given we’ve so recently been asked to place blind faith in the quality of Bethesda games, the technical issues with Dishonored 2 on PC mean that great efforts must now be made to win trust back. This is not good enough.

That’s the technical stuff out the way, but there is a clutch of smaller, design/UI/features issues that probably shouldn’t matter, but as I say every niggle seems to grow in magnitude when the core experience of playing is already choppy and disruptive.

The game looks beautiful, but I’m not sure it sounds quite so slick. Some voices sound too obviously as though they’re being read aloud from a script, chief villain (so far) Delilah comes across as a pantomime Skeletor figure, the Outsider’s reedy little voice makes me think I’m having conversations with a member of Linkin Park, and generally there’s a face-punch of oddly stilted exposition crammed into the first sequence.

Additionally, sometimes the dialogue seems slightly at odds with the image, as though lines were recorded before events and scripts were fully set, and the actors (or writers, or both) didn’t know quite what was going to be seen on-screen. I feel a certain dissonance sometimes – distracting rather than destructive, though. Not quite on this level…

…but we’re in that ballpark alright.

I’m told that, though some big clunkers are still to come, by and large dialogue gets more naturalistic later on, once there’s more freedom of movement and less of a plot-funnel. I can believe it – but given how expensive a game this clearly is, it’s a shame that the voicework and, perhaps, the editing throughout isn’t the equal of the visual presentation values. I’m also left feeling that its villain is too cartoonish by far, but we shall see.

Far more minor, but I desperately crave a Hitman-style option to neatly and perfectly conceal a body inside a bin or chest or whatever with a single button press. Dishonored 2 doesn’t have this, which leads to a certain amount of uncertainty about whether you’ve actually managed to hide Sleeping Brutey or not. Also, things like this happen:

On the other hand, I’m not sure I’d want to lose that.

Anannuvathing. It’s great that there’s a dedicated button for holstering weapons, but I wish pressing the left mouse button didn’t instantly unholster them and slash the knife at whatever’s in front of me. Oops, butterfingers. Because of this, like Pip, I’ve accidentally killed a couple of guys during what was meant to be a non-lethal campaign, as well as noisily smashing things and drawing angry attention. I suspect I’ll get used to it, but the hair trigger is a bit at odds with playing stealthily.

They’ve actually made The Outsider (a godlike figure of uncertain objective and nu-metal garb, and arguably the least convincing element of Dishonored 1) worse. Quite a feat. All I can think of whenever I see him is:

These are minor things, yes. I’ll get used to or stop caring about them, once the tech issues are fixed and playing Dishonored 2 no longer feels like fighting to have a good time.

Most everything else does seem really strong – it’s a proper, reactive stealth game, the environments are hugely lovely, the characters fascinatingly ugly and it seems to more legitimately offer multiple ways to play now (I’m undertaking the ‘no powers’ option, mostly because I hope it limits how many times I have to chat to Emo Spider-Man).

Mostly, I do share Adam’s enthusiasm. But not completely, not yet, and the tech stuff particularly is making it hard to love it as much as I hope to love it. Given that we’ve been expressly told not to worry, I think it’s important to point out that yes, we definitely should worry until it’s definitively proven that we don’t have to.

From this site

1. Joshua says:

“This is just nit-picking now, and may very well be addressed later on anyway, but I’m staggered by how readily everyone in Dunwall seems to just accept that Corvo is a murderous traitor. Er, hang on, didn’t this already happen once? You think this was some elaborate double-bluff? Still, ’tis the season for willingly believing the obvious lies of the power-hungry.”
    This is actually (sort of) explained early on with one of the books having something about people believing lies even after the truth is revealed, and that a lot of people never stopped believing that Corvo killed the empress. There’s an over-reliance on having to read all the books and letters and whatnot in order to get the full story (first game too). I still love the games, though.

• Zenicetus says:

Yeah, I don’t get that objection. Even if you don’t read that book or newspaper articles lying around, the intro sequence where Corvo and Emily walk in for the ceremony explains the background of murders that seem to point to the crown. It’s all highly compressed, but it’s enough to set the scene.

2. Neutrino says:

“Most everything else does seem really strong”

What the hell is “most everything” supposed to mean. Most, everything, almost, or something else?

3. sean says:

Yet another game I am glad I did not pre order. I’m now at the stage that I think pre orders should be banned under false advertising and/or fraud laws. That being said I am sure Bethesda will sort the bugs out but quite frankly this is getting beyond a joke. Every single new game now is either buggy as hell or just plain broken. If I am going to sink anything up to £100 into a game (special addition and DLC) it better work right from Day 1. This is why we have early access, why we had demos, why we need to hold these companies to a higher standard. If we all stopped pre ordering they would quickly turn out better products.

• Harvey says:

Yeah, I’m finding it increasingly difficult to believe that anyone would ever pre-order a game when the majority of them are released in a less than ideal state. Is it just something that people accept as the norm?

Fine for them I suppose, as long as they are’nt taken by surprise. No excuse for that anymore.

• suibhne says:

As you say, a buyer should never expect a game to be totally fixed at release. “Playable”, tho, seems to be reasonable. And there’s sometimes a decent economic incentive to pre-order if you think you’ll want to play within the first 2-3 months, because there are often pre-order discounts of 20-25% – and no similar discount off post-release prices for at least a few months.

I generally avoid pre-orders, but I put my cash down for this one. I figured I was unlikely to find 22% the game for another few months post-release, and any gamebreaking problems were likely to be patched within 1-2 weeks. It was a gamble, but it paid off for me.

• plagu3 says:

You almost said it out loud, but that’s exactly why we don’t have demos/trials anymore. Just yesterday visited the PSN shop on my PS3 and thought that the amount of demos was incredible by today’s standards… and in that same instant realized that it’s ridiculous that I felt that way. The few AAA -titles I peeked had demos… WOW! Then again, if 90% of games had demos, like they used to, I don’t think I’d buy games anymore, because 1) there’s a buttload of great games these days (therefore great demos to play); 2) almost everything today is a buttload before the GOTY edition, which costs 20% of the full priced game +DCLs -the bugs. It’s a great gift from the God of Tech that we can so easily find great indie and older titles, but is it also a curse? Do people pre-order The Titles so much, so they wouldn’t have to think what to buy from the vast pool of great games (also the graphics suck after three weeks from release!!!)?

4. PopeBob says:

A lot of the voice trouble seems entirely down to the voice director, honestly. The first game suffered on this front egregiously, whether the stilted First Outsider whose replacement is no better, or the hilariously wooden guard barks both conversative and battle-themed.

subdog says:

On the contrary, I thought the VA in the original game was spectacular. Especially by Madsen, Sarandon and Dourif.

It’s not always a given that great screen actors will put in good voice performances, but the director definitely pulled it off.

5. Morgan Joylighter says:

Alec…if you’re not already, something you can do to improve the FPS fluctation (which would be my biggest frustration, except I only had a small case of it) is every time you start the game, make sure the dynamic resolution slider is bumped up to 100. For many users, this slider reverts to 75 every single time you start up the game. Besides making the game look worse, dynamic resolution used on PC seems to poorly affect smooth frame output. I guess it’s a case of a console hack being ill-suited for most PC environments…I’ve yet to see a single PC game where it actually made anything better. And the part where it doesn’t save your setting for some users is just bizarre. So try that and see if it helps. :)

6. Haplo says:

Sorry to hear you’re having performance issues, mate.

Alas, the Outsider! I’m currently replaying Dishonored 1 myself (I blew my vidya game allowance for this yearly quarter on Civ 6), and what a great game that thing is, but the Outsider…

The Outsider is a curious character in Dishonored. The setting stuff paints him in interesting ways: the Abbey of the Everyman portrays him as an insidious, satanic figure that tries to seep into the hearts of men through a thousand doors of temptation (even if they acknowledge he’s essentially unbeatable), but the records also show that veneration of the Outsider is an ancient traditional practice in the empire, with characters carving his ‘charms’ into animal bones for centuries or more, a practice the Abbey is desperately trying to wipe out- which has a whiff of the process of organised religion trying to eradicate the polytheistic traditions of Europe (and other places too) to it. One of the few examples of fiction (and it looks real pulpy too) in Dish 1 portrays the Outsider as basically being a corrupting, chaotic and inherently -unnatural- force, with acts on his behalf being described as committing a ‘wound on nature’.

And that corruptive, eldritch element comes up multiple times. The idea really is that the Outsider is unknowable: multiple characters who consort with him, or even handle his runes for an extended period of time, lose their sanity and often become violent (one man goes aggressively gollum on his rune and ends up murdering a cousin because he suspected said cousin of wanting to steal it even though he didn’t know about it). Emily even finds one and tucks it under her pillow for good luck, and it gives the poor girl nightmares.

Despite his ‘unnatural’ qualities, he’s also apparently tied to the weird-ass Dishonored whales, with one appearing in his Spoopy Realm whilst the heart also hints at a connection (along with a haunting refrain that once the last whale goes, an ‘age of darkness’ will fall (which could mean something apocalyptic, or that oops, no more electricity because no more oil).

He even has some pretty neat lines- one of them vis a vis Sokolov is basically “Sokolov does horrible rituals with ancient runes and symbols and unspeakable tomes to try to summon me, but if he wanted to meet me, he should try to be a bit more interesting.” Which gives me more of Star Trek’s Q feeling to him- in it because he wants to be entertained or at least made curious about things.

But the Outsider in person is… Well. As a friend described him, “He is premiere Hot Topic”.

Maybe John de Lancie woulda done it better…?

subdog says:

There’s a very good reason for “The Outsider” to look like that, isn’t there? I mean just about every other person in Dunwall is a grotesque figure with odd proportions and cartoonishly twisted features.

Of course someone that is outside of it all would appear as a symmetrically aligned prettyboy. He may be playful, but he’s not a chimera like Q, he’s an aspirational (if poisonous) figure for the desperate souls of Dunwall.

• Layabout says:

Even simpler is that if you had all that power and I’m assuming the power to also choose a look for yourself then that one is the ultimate look.

Andy_Panthro says:

It never really bothered me, but I do understand that people find the personification of the outsider in contrast to what you read or hear about him elsewhere.

I would probably suggest that the best solution would be to have him be a disembodied voice, talking via your dreams/nightmares but without a physical form. Or alternatively (in a very Q way) he could appear as a corrupted form of other characters from the game.

7. VLTIONIS says:

Because of Backlog and reasons I’ll be spending time with Dark Messiah.

Thanks Arkane!

8. Maxheadroom says:

Someday there’ll be a museum for shonky games in their vanilla state. I’ll forever regret teenage me returning Midwinter 2* that had a bug whereby you could only seduce people of the same sex

*pre-internet days when fixing a broken game meant returning it to the shop for a patched version

9. pistachio says:

Watching videos of this game I always wonder how the opponents stand a chance against you. They never look up, you can still easily win if caught and if things look bad you can blink away at will and wait till everyone forgets about you. If you can choose to play without using special abilities doesn’t that mean that the game is too easy? People seem to ramp up the difficulty to max or put artificial restrictions on themselves. Not sure how I feel about that.

Love the art style to bits though.

• K_Sezegedin says:

The first game was similar in that your powers were hilariously overpowered, but the game encouraged you to use restraint to avoid increasing the world’s level of chaos.

Very very strange to be given an array of murder tools one could use to construct elaborate scenarios (waiting for an enemy to shoot at you, stopping time to freeze his bullet then possessing him and walking him around to stand in front of his own shot then unfreezing time for a self inflicted headshot being a classic example) but then implying you shouldn’t be doing such fun things.

• Kolyarut says:

“Very very strange to be given an array of murder tools one could use to construct elaborate scenarios… but then implying you shouldn’t be doing such fun things.”

This was a major problem with Deus Ex for me too. “Here’s your guns, here’s your weapon mods, here’s your arm blades, here’s your typhoon ball bearing launcher, here’s your camouflage augs, now put them away and go do nothing but stealth kills.”

• plagu3 says:

What are the options:
          1) give players all the powers, but no reason to restrict those powers.
          2) give everything, but your choices affect the storyline and gameplay.
          3) give players only stealth.
          4) give everything, but every path you make leaves you thinking you should/could have done differently, because of storyline, because of achievements, because it would’ve been a completely different game in the way you have to press the fffing buttons.

• Zenicetus says:

I’m just barely into the game, but the guards seem a bit more aware than in the first game. It’s mainly the sight lines — if you’re anywhere near their peripheral vision they’ll see you. Either their vision cones are wider or I’m just not remembering the first game well enough.

They still don’t look up, but that’s probably necessary to allow all the vertical options for navigation and stealth attacks.

10. gbrading says:

“generally there’s a face-punch of oddly stilted exposition crammed into the first sequence.”

I’ve only played the first hour of the game so far but this stood out to me too. Tiny spoiler for the very start, but I was amazed at how quickly and seemingly easily Delilah enacted her plot. It’s clear a lot of people do get killed but there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of resistance.

Regarding the Outsider, I think he’s very weird too and I’m not particularly a fan of him, but perhaps that’s kind of the point? He is supposed to be unknowable.

• Zenicetus says:

I thought that initial takeover scene happened awfully fast and wasn’t pre-shadowed enough too. Although it’s not too different from the first game. That one also got rolling pretty fast. Maybe the devs thought players would be bored if they couldn’t start killing enemies within the first 10 minutes of the game.

Aitrus says:

Long before release, Harvey Smith described a 30 minute opening before the coup happens where you sort of go about your day for a bit as Emily. I guess that stuff got cut for some reason, and that’s really a shame. The game throws everything at you with no context.

• KwisatzHaderach says:

There is a good deal of lore scattered about the first map explaining the goings-on behind the betrayal scene (mostly in the form of letters of captain Whatshisname to his underlings telling them to shut up about the duke’s coming and to not bother him at all).

It’s remarkable what you miss story wise if you don’t read at least most of the letters. I must say,I really like that player agency.

11. JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Glad someone mentioned the dialogue. This wasn’t exactly a strong point of the original game, so it’s hard to say that it’s *worse* here, but…man, I dunno. One of the bright spots of the first game was the way Emily and Corvo’s relationship would occasionally manifest–the game of hide-and-seek at the beginning, her drawings, etc. Obviously the character is no longer a child at this point, but it’s a little disappointing that she’s grown up as dour and joyless as every single other character in the game. Granted I’m still in the early levels, but at the moment it’s easier to imagine Adam Jensen having a good time with his friends than it is with her.

Still, the new powers are definitely fun to mess around with and the level design is great. If a patch somewhere down the line can prevent all the distant details from blurring in the weird pixely smear I’m currently experiencing, I’d say it should stack up well to the original.

12. K_Sezegedin says:

I’ve had an affection for Arkane since Arx Fatalis but they can’t write for shit, they have that in common with Bethesda.

• GepardenK says:

Same, I love Arkane but their writing is terrible. But they manage to hide it in some weird way (possibly because of the interesting worlds they make) so most people don’t call them out on it. Their main problem is how exposition oriented the writing is – they tell you a lot of info and lead you on but they don’t make you feel it. The core story of Dishonored 1 is good but there are so many ways to present it better than how Arkane did it

• mechanixis says:

I remember starting Dishonored for the first time, playing through the introduction and getting framed for the Empress’ murder. “Ooh,” I thought. “who framed me? What an intriguing mystery and central plot hook.”

Then, in literally the very next cutscene, the game’s mustache-twirling villain gloatingly explained that he did it, and I felt like I’d just had the game’s whole story laid out for me in the first ten minutes. I didn’t know what to make of it. It was so frustrating to see all of Arkane’s awesome world-building undermined by all its flat, one-note characters and a dull, workmanlike plot.

Mungrul says:

I actually quite liked the voice acting and writing in the first game, and I even quite liked The Outsider. Don’t like him this time though. The change in voice actor makes him come across as a petulant teen.
    My biggest problem with the game, and it was the same with the first, is the achievement system.
    Where the game gives you all of these wondrous toys and systems to play with, if you’re chasing the achievements, you have to necessarily constrain your playstyle and NOT use all of the toys made available to you.

Yes, one could argue that you can ignore achievements, but in practice, I find it’s not as simple as that, especially as the game breaks down mission scores based on things like kills, stealth, etc. which often ties in to the achievements.

I’d much prefer it if games like this had mission goals but no achievements or scores based around playing a certain way that restricts the way you can play.

As it stands, when things go wrong, instead of letting the game blossom and getting to play with the systems the developer has designed, I find myself hitting quickload.

14. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Yes! The Outsider is the worst character in the history of characters ever! Fair play for not going with a beardy, wizardy cliche but come on, an emo teenager??? Shatters my immersion every time he’s on screen.

• Zenicetus says:

Did you play the first game? I agree there could have been better character choices, but I went through the first game twice. For me he’s just a canon figure in the series now. No point in messing with him, because that’s always how he’s appeared to Corvo.

There may not have been a budget to make him appear different to Emily. Although that might have been interesting, like a weird little sister or something.

15. geldonyetich says:

Once again, my “Wait-6-months-because-I-already-have-a-massive-Steam-backlog-I-don’t-play-and-by-then-I-can-probably-get-the-game-for-50%-off-with-several-launch-bugs-fixed” (gasps for breath) approach pays dividends.

16. willy359 says:

They really should have cast Leonard as the Outsider. That’s a dark, sardonic observer of human folly.

17. saillc says:

The new outsider is just terrible. I can’t beleive the dumb decision to not usher in audio continuity by using new voice actors. It makes no damn sense when you only have one other game in the series. I got all excited entering the dark world, then when the outside appeared and opened my mouth i just cringed and couldn’t believe what i was hearing.

18. tslog says:

So Bethesda obviously knew about these PC problems and then decided on a policy of not releasing their games in time for reviews. They just doubled down on their contempt for us gamers. F Befthesda so hard.

I liked the first dishonoured and bought it on console and on PC. Now but I will rent D2 first, and if I do like it I will buy it many months from now because Bethesdas contempt does not deserve my full monetary rewards.

19. haldolium says:

Guess I am the only one who doesn’t play the game because it tells me to skip every cutscene.

I fucking hate these interface failures so much. I don’t care if it runs at 30FPS or doesn’t look as fancy, but constant 4th wall breaking really fucks me off.

And then the game gets all cynical about it, doesn’t let me skip 60 seconds of annoying intro shit but continously tells me to skip every actual story element.

Won’t play it until that shit is fixed. Super annoying.

20. Christian says:

Thanks, these are the kind of honest articles I started reading RPS for many years ago. And the lack of these (among other things) being the reason I stopped being a supporter about half a year ago.
    But btt:
    I’m quite happy, actually sort of smug, not to have pre-ordered this game. I loved the first one and it really was quite the struggle not getting the second part after it was announced. But seeing the problems I’m happy to wait for them to publish the first patch and see what that fixes.
    I’ll just vote with my wallet :-)

21. Dave L. says:

By any chance does your laptop have an AMD Phenom CPU? Apparently they’re using SSE 4.1 in the engine, which means they really meant it when they said the minspec was for an FX prcessor.

Disappointing for me ‘cuz that means I’m going to have to pick up a placeholder CPU for my desktop while I wait for the Zens to come out for the full PC rebuild.

22. plagu3 says:

The “Emo Outsider” made me laugh, but personally I didn’t even realize he was so different (only played the first Dishonored). Almost every other character model in the game seemed to pop out like a trousersnake from unzipped pants. The Outsider was a john doe with a hint of darkness upon him, because he is from the shadows and he chose to materialize as nobody. Though if he was a john doe in Dishonored world, he would have to be an outrageous trousersnake… but hopefully you’ll know what I mean.

23. TheTingler says:

Ah, good, we’re being nitpicky. In that case, I’d like to put forward a new entry for the PC Commandments – “Thou Shalt Not Default to ‘No’ with Settings”. Literally every moment where the option is Yes/No, like saving settings, quitting, going to a new area – the default (in massive letters no less, hiding the ‘Yes’) is ‘No’. If I changed the Block key from Ctrl to Q why the hell would I NOT be sure?!

• GDwarf says:

That’s actually due to a fairly fundamental design principle: The default option should *always* be the least destructive one.

That means that the default should change the fewest things and be the most reversible. Settings changes can bork a game, so the default should always be to discard them.

Likewise the complaint about characters who ask “Did you get all that?” and default to “no”, leading to them repeating it. If you know the game it can be annoying, but it’s sound UI design because someone hitting “yes” is then going to lose the ability to read that text again, which means you want to prevent someone doing that by accident.

TL;DR: Defaulting to undoing changes is by far the more user-friendly option.

• suibhne says:

It’s the more user-friendly option in this case, but only because of a more egregious problem you didn’t mention: there is no “accept” option when you change settings. Instead, Esc doubles as “accept” and “cancel” – two diametrically opposed and incompatible actions – which means you’re forced to choose which of those options you want, every single time. Yet any designer, if they think about this for the merest second, will recognize that a normal user will be choosing “accept” 10x more often than “cancel”. This is the root of the irritation.

24. sp0q says:

It seems the time has come to finally buy the first one ;)

25. Adod says:

I’ve been enjoying the game so far, for the most part. I haven’t had the performance issues that others have, but I do have a few gripes.

Mainly, if you are choking some guy out and get caught, their coworker is going to come and gut him trying to kill you. I’m trying to avoid deaths and stay low chaos, so I find it annoying that happens with some regularity (I’m not so great at the stealth thing) and their peer will just come along and stabby stabby them without thinking about it. In one case, I actually got blamed for their death by the person that stabbed them (“I can’t believe you killed Fred” or something of that nature).

I also thought the ability to hear the backstory of everyone in the game via the heart would be awesome, the stuff I read before the game came out made it sound like there would be good and bad guards, with your chaos level changing depending on what they are. So far, I’ve listened to a number of them, and they all seem like major douchebags on power trips, like one breaking some lady’s fingers off because she was playing a flute and didn’t have a permit. I have yet to encounter one that is anything but a horrible person per the heart.

The story I’ve found moderately interesting, but I felt like the first was more story driven from the start and each of the missions had more of a well explained goal behind it. With this one, it seems like you embark on a mission and ask yourself “wait, why am I doing this again?”. I can appreciate not wanting to make you sit through 20 minute cutscenes, but a little more exposition would have been nice in making you feel more engaged in the missions.

26. Dave54FL says: