Dishonored 2 PC Patch Due ‘In The Coming Days’

If you’ve had your sneaking trousers cleaned and pressed in preparation for a weekend of Dishonored 2 [official site], you’ll want to follow Adam’s performance-enhancing tips first. It sounds like we need need to wait a few days before we see an official patch addressing some of those performance problems, you see. Publishers Bethesda Softworks have popped up a small notice to acknowledge the problems some players are reporting — our own Alec included — and say they’re working on a patch.

Bethesda say we can expect this “in the coming days”, which sounds a bit ominous considering how pre-apocalyptic everything’s looking lately.

I’ll briefly turn you over to today’s announcement:

“We are actively working to provide an update to address your concerns. The patch and its release notes will be available in the coming days.

“With the feedback our support group as received, we are preparing a patch intended to provide improvements to allow for more consistent framerates on affected systems and provide an update to the mouse code for smoother input.

“While we prepare the patch, we encourage players to use the recommended settings posted on Bethesda.net and check out the Steam Community Guides for the best experience.”

Adam, for what it’s worth, isn’t suffering much and he’s flipping adoring the game. But if you don’t want to be frustrated by Dishonored 2’s delights being so near yet so juttery, it might be sensible to wait to hear what shape it’s in after a patch or two.

Who knows when “in the coming days” is? Sounds quite Biblical to me. Fiery skies herald change In The Coming Days. We shall be tested In The Coming Days. Cities will turn into salt In The Coming Days. All you know shall be lost In The Coming Days. But at least Dishonored 2 should run better In The Coming Days.

[Disclosure: Cara Ellison, my flatmate and a former RPS columnist, wrote a wee bit for Dishonored 2. I don’t know what she wrote but I hope it has some cracking cusses. We might play through it together but end up watching Chewin’ the Fat or Blackadder instead. I was genuinely distressed by how much Chris Barrie smoulders in this episode. It’s not right. Say no to Hot Rimmer.]

From this site

1. yogibbear says:

I’m running with a 1080gtx and i7 4770k. Flawless ultra 1440p.

• Norvax says:

Wish I could say the same! Running 1080GTX / 4790k and going down to 45fps regularly after the first mission, that’s only at 1080p too.

• Phinor says:

6700k+GTX1080 here and I haven’t even managed to get far enough to start seeing serious fps drops because the game has weird jittering going on. Not stuttering as I know it, but when looking for example a table with multiple objects, it’s not smooth at all. I wonder if GSYNC is helping or causing even more issues with this game, haven’t tried without it yet.

Also mouse feels off even with the fixes people have posted. With a quick test I feel like the lower the fps, the faster my mouse moves.

All in all, a beautiful technical mess. At least there’s plenty of other games to play while waiting for patch(es).

• Norvax says:

Yeah, you’re right about the mouse issues. The sensitivity is directly tied to frame rate. The patch that’s coming soon will apparently fix this issue, according to the Co-creative Director at Arkane Studios.

AutonomyLost says:

Count yourself lucky!

My rig is ace and the performance is certainly not flawless. I’m hoping one, or at most two, patch(es) will render this game playable. I am positive I am going to love it to pieces, so the disappointment in having to wait for this shit to roll out is real.

Regardless, have fun this weekend Dishonoring the antagonists.

• bigboss9191 says:

If you had problem with a 1080 on 2K then Arkane studios should close.

2. causticnl says:

considering thats the most expensive setup I would be very suprised if it wasnt flawless.

• khalilravanna says:

Somewhere a plutocrat scoffs at your notion of expensive as his quadruple-SLI Titan X setup renders this page at 4k on a 100ft LED panel held aloft by his butler/giant, Igor.

• Cleave says:

I have a similar setup (6700k and 1080) and it’s far from flawless but playable, I’m getting wildly varying frame rates between 45 and 144 at 1080p depending on what I’m looking at, generally in the 70-90 range but a lot of areas drop lower. I’m running the auto graphics options which is mostly ultra with a couple of settings on very high.

The biggest kicker though is that G sync doesn’t seem to work so I’m getting bad tearing and stuttering for the first time since buying this monitor.

3. ran93r says:

I’m three hours deep but I begrudge playing any more as the performance is pretty shoddy, at times it’s perfect but in the main, it’s awful.
    I have tinkered with all manner of settings and in the end settled on dropping down the AA, remove the mouse smoothing via the cfg and putting the pre rendered frames down to 1 outside of the game. That gives me around 60fps, give or take but it just doesn’t feel like it. There is stuttering galore!

4. Freud says:

I think this whole not releasing review copies early is working out well for Bethesda.

Instead of one review and done, we see a lot of articles about the game daily because journalists want to talk about it.

Grizzly says:

To be fair, we see the same about games that do have a early review copy thing. There were so many FO4 articles. RPS had had backlash for making a few articles about ARK: Survival Evolved and that game has not even been released yet. Likewise, there were so many Dishonored articles.

• Baines says:

ARK: Survival Evolved has effectively been released since the middle of last year. People are buying and playing the actual game. It might not be finished, but it is the game, not a demo or trial or anything of the like. Early Access has become a safety net to deflect criticism while selling promises.

Street Fighter 5 was raked over the coals for being launched in a clearly unfinished state. But launching under an “Early Access” label wouldn’t have made it a different game. (Side note: I’d heard the claim that at least some at Capcom wanted to release SF5 under such a label, but that Sony opposed the idea. I don’t know how true that claim is, though.)

5. Tuor says:

We’ll get around to making a patch as soon as we finish counting money from all of those suckers who pre-ordered from us. Promise.

6. Cara Ellison says:

Chris Barrie’s extremely large D was cast in Blackadder 3 and I never even knew, it is true.

7. trashbat says:

I have a 970GTX, 6700K and 16GB RAM, 1920×1200. It’s working fine for me on default (High) settings. I’ve no idea what the actual frame rate is because I don’t care.

It’s shaping up to be a good game – like a modern refresh of the DLC I suppose.

8. Crimsoneer says:

GTX970, i5-4690k and 16gb of ram and it’s running pretty shoddily for me once I hit Karnaca proper – frame rate dips to near unplayable levels regularly and the mouse feels…weird. The initial level ran fine, but really struggling now. Pretty damn disappointed. I kind of thought I’d have at least 6 or so more months before I’d need an upgrade, or was I being optimistic?

9. Stevostin says:

If I read correctly a Trump allusion, please chill. Keep in mind a good deal of us are neither surprised, nor panicked by Trump being elected. Now seeing all those ill-informed, oddly antagonized people running around like headless chickens, that’s a bit scary. Especially when those are ppl I like and consider smart and likeable.

This is a videogame website. While I’d find perfectly acceptable to have actuality kick in for ground breaking stuff (even say, for Brexit), this definitely doesn’t qualify as terrible. In the coming month, a lot of ppl who feel informed despite having clearly been ill informed to the point of making the absolutely wrong forecast will catch up with the other in understanding that they’ve been a bit over the top, and that nothing incredible or even unusually bad will happen. The election has been toxic enough for the world to not blow things out of proportion and have it contaminate our video game favorite site.

• Thants says:

Cheer up, your white supremacist despot got elected! Half of America and most of the rest of the world being baffled and scared is a small price to pay to crush The Other under your boot-heel.

• JimDiGritz says:

Stop with the ill-informed political rhetoric.

At least Trump doesn’t count Robert Byrd, a former member and recruiter for the Ku Klux Klan, as “my friend and mentor”. Both Hillary and Bill have. Publicly.

Trump may be bigoted and ego-maniacal, however it was Hilary who (on the record) asked why they couldn’t just ‘drone Julian Assange’ to stop him leaking the truth.

I’ll also just leave here Hillary’s oft stated aim of implementing a no-fly zone over Syria. Effectively starting a shooting war with Russia.

So, be baffled and scared with Trump. Just remember that you’d be surprised and terrified under Clinton.

• Stevostin says:

I didn’t insult anyone in my post. You, OTOH, insulted me very deeply in your first sentence. “White supremacist” is one of the ugliest thing to be called. And you used it on a guy who picked his words carefully to make sure his statement was not about supporting Trump (which I don’t. I am not even a US citizen. We don’t shoot black people on sight in my country so I am perfectly aware that US politics are far too “alien” for me to even understand what they’re about).

I am pointing this out because whether Trump is KKK in the White House or just a ruthless pragmatist ready to go one or two bridge further on the populist way to get elected is open to anyone’s guess. You being aggressive on someone who was voicing a respectful of anyone opinion isn’t, on the other hand. It goes directely in the “established fact” bucket. Still, I am sure this isn’t the person you think you are. So I suggest you chill too in order to find again you real nature. You want a peaceful world, so do I. It starts with us.

• MultiVaC says:

To be fair, the way you portrayed peoples’ distress over Trump was more than a little condescending, especially since you apparently don’t live in the US (?) and claim to not even understand what the country’s politics are about. It’s a bit unfair to accuse people of overreacting and being ill-informed when the political issues that are alien to you have been impacting their lives and shaping their society for decades.

So yeah, it was wrong to assume you were a white power Trump supporter. But honestly, your post came across as a Trump apologist at the very least, so I can understand why they were a little confused. And in your estimation, it’s “anyone’s guess” whether or not he’s “KKK in the White House”. So, maybe you don’t grasp the full impact of even a slight possibility that the Ku Klux Klan might have *already* gained control over a branch of the US government, since you aren’t a US citizen. Since I am a US citizen, let me give you my reaction to that scenario even being mentioned in a serious context: holy fucking shit. That is not something you can chill out over.

10. MultiVaC says:

I sort of wonder why Arkane saw fit to gut so much of engine and replace it. I thought DOOM looked pretty good from a technical standpoint, and the smoothness and consistency of the performance was just wonderful. Dishonored would have benefited so much from that, since skillful and fluid movement is one of the best qualities I associate with the first game.

11. bigboss9191 says:

Anyway bethesda fucked up 15/10 with this one. They knew that the game had problems. I don’t think they only test their games with Titan X. But as always they pushed the release date and release a game in a shit state. Also they don’t give early copies for reviews, guess why?

12. tslog says:

Scummy anti consumer Bethesda, has once again proven that we are generally way past not pre-ordering games, we’re way into territory of not buying games during the release window.

Just like I do, beacase I can wait.

13. Rikard Peterson says:

Anyone else expect chryssalids when seeing that screenshot?

Comment on this story