Scream If You’re Confused: RollerCoaster Tycoon World Launching Day Before Planet Coaster

The creature wearing the skin of Atari has announced astonishing plans to launch RollerCoaster Tycoon World [official site] next Wednesday, November 16th. It’s been on Steam early Access for seven months. The surprising part is: Frontier’s theme park sim Planet Coaster comes out the very next day, Thursday the 17th. Given that Planet Coaster looks the better game by far, it’s a bit silly. Perhaps the eyeholes on the creature’s skinsuit have slipped and it’s stumbling blind, groping in the dark, accidentally typing up announcements. We’ve all been there.

It is such a curious decision. While the announcement talks about a big patch coming at launch, from player reviews it sounds like the game needs more than just a patch. The announcement talking about more improvements and optimisations following after launch sounds like an admission that it won’t be its best self when it is declared ‘released’. That’s what early access is for, you sillies.

In contrast, here’s something Adam said in August about the beta version of Planet Coaster he’d played:

“A lack of log flumes at release aside, Planet Coaster looks to be doing everything I’d want a theme park management game to do, and to be doing it all extremely well.”

I’m reminded of The Asylum releasing its mockbusters right alongside the blockbusters they’re spoofing, hoping to ride the publicity wave of better movies. Is the creature wearing the skin of Atari cutting its losses? RCTW has already been through several developers, so they must be getting sick of it. Or does the creature think RCTW can go toe-to-toe with Planet Coaster? Is the creature hoping people ignorant of Planet Coaster will buy this?

Well! We’ll find out next week. RollerCoaster Tycoon World is priced at £29.99/45,99€/$49.99 and Planet Coaster… will cost the same – or cheaper, in some countries. Baffling.

From this site

1. Morgan Joylighter says:

“Atari” are so desperate for sales they are basically trying to steal sales from Planet Coaster from poorly informed customers who only know “that great new coaster game that’s like a modern update of RCT” is coming out this week. Waiting for the last minute makes it even more effective because now Frontier have no time to counter the move in any useful way. It’s not a bad strategy as far as it goes. It’s just really shitty to all the customers they will fool…some of them may now never realize that Planet Coaster is out there waiting to bring them happiness. :(

• ZIGS says:

Hopefully the people who are duped make use of the refund ability. Fuck Atari

• Tendo says:

I’m not proud of it but I still have RCTW on my computer since I was out of town during the rebate availability when they launched as early access. I do find it funny that this article comes up on their steam news page simply because it mentions RCTW when it’s clearly not good news about them. They have improved the game but it’s no where close to what Planet Coaster has got going for it.

But yeah I’m pretty convinced they are just cutting their losses at this point and if they can lessen the blow by sneaking in some gullible people so be it. It’s prolly the best they can do to save some money however they won’t be saving face.

2. Bull0 says:

Classic cynical Atari

3. brucethemoose says:

Wow.

I wonder how the Planet Coaster devs will respond. I’d be pissed if I were them, so hopefully they respond better than I would.

cpt_freakout says:

In the short run it will be awful, but they’ll do fine in the long run when more people see which game is the better one. Atari is just throwing the game under the bus to get some quick bucks and move on since it’s obvious it’s not even close to being ready.

• brucethemoose says:

I foresee a SimCity-esque situation, where outrage over the official, less-than-ideal sequel leads to lots of press + high sales for the unofficial, superior spiritual successor.

Herring says:

It’ll be interesting if that happens as it’ll be the second time for Frontier in the last 6 months; apparently Elite saw a massive surge in sales after NMS was released.

4. DuncUK says:

“Perhaps the eyeholes on the creature’s skinsuit have slipped and it’s stumbling blind, groping in the dark, accidentally typing up announcements. We’ve all been there.”

I think I now finally understand Donald Trump.

5. Subv3rse says:

Hahaha, fun fact, upon trying to get to their website, our corporate firewall is reporting the following:

URL:
    link to rollercoastertycoon.com

Category:
    Phishing and Other Frauds

6. titanomaquis says:

Actually, Log flumes are now included in Planet Coaster at launch, as well as a rapids ride. I have had the beta for 2 days now, and I’m enjoying it alot.

Also, just out of curiosity, is RPS planning to do a WIT on Planet coaster?

• brucethemoose says:

You mean the supposed successor to #49 on RPS’s greatest strategy game list, one of the most beloved strategy games of all time?

Hell would freeze over before RPS skips a WIT on that.

EDIT: Well, I guess it is one of… 5 successors? 6? I’m honestly forgetting some…

7. mitthrawnuruodo says:

When did management sims get so expensive? Both these games are quite overpriced. Not surprised by Frontier, who are in the business of releasing 1/10th of a game and then asking AAA game prices for updates every year. But I expect this to be cheaper.

• The First Door says:

Wait, what? I’m not sure what region you’re in, but it’s £27 over here, going up to £30 at launch. I’m not sure that could be called over priced! You can’t expect a game that dozens of people have worked on for at least 2 years to be a fiver, can you?

• Dante80 says:

Nice Elite Dangerous meltdown there. It’s like Frontier did not talk about big paid expansions as the way to monetize the MMO from back in 2012 or so..

8. Hideous says:

“The creature wearing the skin of Atari”

Bwahaha. This is why I read RPS.

9. Dante80 says:

Interestingly enough, ATARI is also releasing this: link to atari.com

It is from the developer that was supposed to be working on RCTW for launch…evidently most resources went to this mobile RCT4m F2P successor instead of it.

Nice Touch™ Atari..XD

• The First Door says:

Blurgh! The original RCT Mobile was an abomination, the paths didn’t even do anything at launch, they were just decorations! It’s like Atari are going out of their way to hire people who have never played any tycoon games and then getting them to wilfully misinterpret what made them fun.

I’m waiting for the humourless, gritty reboot of Theme Hospital where the hospital is already built and you have to drive an ambulance through a badly realised open world while being chased by police with terrible AI!

10. disconnect says:

What kind of monster posts Geri Halliwell instead of this? :(

11. Kalamity222 says:

I don’t see the problem, they are both good games.
    All i see is whiny people that like one game more than the other. So why not try both?

Comment on this story