Wacky Wheels HD Is Out And Still Sufficiently Wacky

When I was a kid, I played the heck out of Apogee’s classic racer Wacky Wheels. That and another kart racer where there was some sort of alien (I’m pretty sure it wasn’t this one) whose catchphrase was “Burn tachyons!” and I’ve never been able to figure out what game it was since. But now, thanks to developer Ferocity 2D’s dogged desire to bring Wacky Wheels into the future with Wacky Wheels HD [official site], I can play this kart racer again with a modern computer. A lot.

It’s a simple and fun little racer that features a bunch of animals racing around beachside, African serengeti, and volcanic tracks. You know, as they do.

Wacky Wheels HD offers its own set of new tracks and those based on the original game’s, with 8-player online multiplayer support and 4-player local split screen. Good, because I tire of having to consistently hop online to play when I have perfectly good human beings in my living room that I could play with instead. The original soundtrack’s been remastered as well, and obviously the graphics have been given something of an overhaul.

It’s a little bizarre to see a revival of a classic Apogee title like this revived on Itch, but then here we are. Does anyone remember what that damn alien was from? I’m going to keep thinking about it all night now until I can recall it.

If you’re interested in nabbing this new version Wacky Wheels, you can find it on Itch for $7.99 or on Steam for £6.99/9,99€/$9.99. The original game is still on GOG and Steam too.

From this site

1. Stellar Duck says:

That’s a thing I haven’t thought about in a couple of decades.

Jesus, my brother, cousin and I used to play this one (or the limited shareware version I think) so much on my cousins 486. Alongside the shareware versions of Doom and Wolfenstein, of course.

But Wacky Wheels. Damn, that brings some silly memories. Did you shoot hedgehogs?

2. mvar says:

wacky wh….oooh shit..why are you doing this!? i already woke up too old this morning

3. blainemono says:

Whacky wheels were fun, but that video made me remember BC Racer. Oh how I wish that game got HD treatment.

4. demicanadian says:

So hedgehogs are just powerups now, instead of passerby’s? Meh, that was like 33% of fun in this game.

5. Baranor says:

Omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg.

Allrighty! Gametime!

6. Baranor says:

Omgomgomgomg.

Release issues.

Allrighty… keep-money-in-pocket-time.

7. aircool says:

An underrated classic game.

8. mz says:

My brother and me played the original (shareware) version to death, back in the day. But this… this looks ugly as hell. :(

I would rather just replay the original for a bit.

• Halk says:

It does look dreadful, doesn’t it? Why do they strafe instead of drifting?

• onesandzeroes says:

As far as I remember that’s what you did in the original game. You had a handbrake turn that instantly turned you exactly 90 degrees, none of the skillful drifting of the Mario Kart series. It was always kind of a cheap knockoff.

• Halk says:

This looks way worse than turning around 90 degrees, though. The car just gets pushed sideways out of nowhere. It’s a bit bizarre.

9. satan says:

‘That and another kart racer where there was some sort of alien…’

Skunny Kart perhaps? I got a lot of fun out of that game.

Godwhacker says:

What’s next then? Sango Fighter? Body Blows?

Risingson says:

The tradition of talking about this game without mentioning Mario Kart as they have nothing in common is still a thing in 2016, I see :)

Good news anyway. It looks good.

• Stellar Duck says:

Maybe people, like me, have never played Mario Kart and as such, it’s hard to really compare or contrast the two?

cpt_freakout says:

I played this (well, the shareware version, like a lot of people here it seems!) before I ever got to play Mario Kart. :) I know now it’s a clone and all, but man, without knowing Mario Kart was a thing at the time, this was awesome for me and my brother to spend a great while.

However, dunno if I’d actually recommend it over the real deal, and since we have Sonic All-Stars I’d hesitate before buying this out of sheer nostalgia…

12. April March says:

This is brilliant news.

13. Kaeoschassis says:

Well this certainly pleases me, coming out of nowhere as it did. I’ll never say no to a nice surprise. Still though, if I were going to pick a classic Apogee title to get a shiny remake it uh… it probably wouldn’t have been this one. Weird.

14. Rikard Peterson says:

I played Wacky Wheels a lot back in the day (and loved it), but when I’ve tried to revisit it, I find the controls quite bad. How does this version compare on that front?

15. Sheepdog says:

“WW.EXE hog”
    That was my favourite way to play this original.

Comment on this story