What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

After several months, this week is finally ending. For me, anyway. Apols. if you work weekends and these relentless “Enjoy the weekend funtimes, weekend gang! Let’s have all the fun with our funkends!” posts are a giant spectral hand rubbing its knuckles across your scalp every week. But for simplicity’s sake, I’ll ask: what are you playing this weekend? Here’s what the RPS Chumtime Funend Gamegang are clicking on.

Adam: Dishonored 2. I’m writing this late on Friday and I think I’m just about coming to the end of my first playthrough, in which I’ve tried to be a non-lethal Emily. It’s mostly gone to plan, though there have been some casualties along the way. Enough to fill a very small morgue. Somebody should make a stealth game in which you have to walk through a morgue containing all of the people you killed at the end, and then a lovely house with big fluffy beds containing all of the people you knocked unconscious, snoring happily.
Alec: [Alec has been fired.]
Alice: The new Thumper update has reminded me I never did finish it. Though given that it drove Alec close to murder I’m not sure I’m safe to. Also Dishonored? I hear that is out. I’ve still got Deadly Premonition on the go too but it’s near the point where events accelerate and… breaks my heart every time.
Brendan: As far as Dishonored 2 goes, I’m one of the damned ones. It’s a stuttering wreck and no matter how I goad the settings or fiddle with the cogs, everything still looks as if Emily has forgotten to take her glasses with her to Karnaca. So I’m holding off until a patch is released. Until then, I’ve been prompted by news of Even the Ocean’s release to check out Anodyne, the previous surreal-em-up from the same creators. It’s something I had missed before and it’s pretty good so far. It has a good frame rate.
Graham: [Graham has been fired.]
John: [John has been fired.]
Philippa: This weekend I will be playing “getting over a cold”. It’s a really boring game so I might also try to fit in some Dishonored 2 as well. I’m feeling pretty restless with gaming in general, though so everything gets interspersed with novels or walks anyway. A grab bag of activity, then.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

From this site

1. Mi-24 says:

A combination of trying to finish 3 assignments whilst surviving the temptation that is playing dishono(u)red 2 the whole weekend. It’s great so far and I’m not sure I’m strong enough to resist.

2. LennyLeonardUK says:

I’m considering starting a new campaign on Civ 6. I thought I’d ease myself in gently with a game as England on ‘Prince’ difficulty in order to learn all the complexities of the new title. But that has now turned into a very slow slog towards my inevitable victory. I’m about 2 technological eras ahead of everyone else and I could feasibly destroy every other nation with about 3 units.

I’m always the same on Civ games. I enjoy the start where I’m learning the layout of the map and am slowly building my nation up, but when I hit the part of the game where I’m on the verge of victory I usually just retire and start all over again. Anyone else have this problem??. I genuinely don’t think I’ve finished a Civ game since probably Civ 4!!!.

Other than that, I’ll be shooting real people in Battlefield and Titanfall 2. I might finally take a look at Owlboy. And my slow internet connection will at all times be playing the game of downloading Dishonored 2 this weekend.

Oh, and I’m off to watch the film ‘Arrival’ this afternoon. Not game related, but I’m looking forward to it never the less.

Enjoy your weekend everyone.

• Joriath says:

I’m the same with Civ. I have a Germany game of Civ 6 which I started a week and a bit ago and just haven’t found the interest to delve back into now it’s so near the end.

• melnificent says:

I do exactly the same in multiplayer. So far ahead of everyone else it’s silly. This weeks game we’re playing an islands map (my weakness).

To relieve the boredom of being so far ahead I’m positioning nuclear subs at everyone elses cities. The stockpile still needs a few turns to hit every city at once.

• marlin says:

‘Arrival’ is utterly, irrevocably awful. It is one of the most boring films I have ever seen. Nothing happens…at all. Save your money, save two hours of your life and wait for it to come out on T.V.

• sinbad says:

I very much enjoyed Arrival

• hippocrat says:

@Marlin RE Arrival:
        I saw this last week as part of a science film festival in Minnesota, United States. My spouse and I work in and around science, and it is continually frustrating how poorly we’re doing as a society at communicating what science is, how we use it, and why scientists have generally earned our trust and respect. Arrival reinforces the importance of communication, which often means starting with the dead-simple and taking it slow from there (mindful of the zone of proximal development, of course). From our points of view, we loved it on many emotional and cerebral levels. It reminded me of Watch the Skies (a live-action XCOM event), had an engaging soundtrack, and seemed well-cast. I plan to buy it to use in a language class (I’m a science teacher, but have some elective liberty). I hope this sways some of you to invest the time and money in this story.

• marlin says:

Appreciate the time you took to reply, Hippocrat, but while you make some very valid points, I don’t think that’s how the story was sold over here. I’m sure for some people ink squiggles are fascinating but for those of us who just wanted some brainless sci-fi on a Friday afternoon…

• marlin says:

Obviously not attempting to belittle you and your spouse’s occupations….it’s the marketing of these films which is so wrong.

caff says:

Owlboy, haven’t even started it yet as I’ve been too busy do real life stuff called “work”. I don’t recommend “work” to anyone.

Plus a bit of Rocket League.

4. stuw23 says:

This morning is spent playing Defrost The Freezer, so that it actually works properly again. It’s not much fun.

Other than that, I plan on cracking on with the Skyrim Special Edition is my main plan. Unlike in previous play throughs, I’m trying to focus on the main quest rather than being diverted by side quests, and I’m finding it more fun than expected. It’s nice to play such a big game and have a consistent focus, rather than going back to a questline and going “right, er… who are you again?”

Other than that… I don’t know. I might play some Mordheim and try to get used to the new Undead warband, or maybe do some Civ V scenarios to try and convince myself I don’t need Civ VI yet when I have so much left to explore in Civ V. Or I might pick up something totally new from my considerable backlog, that is constantly growing thanks to the availability of bundles and having disposable income. Or maybe going for a run, but given that winter is now here, that does not sound as much fun as it does in summer.

Captain Narol says:

Football Manager 2017 Demo (to test it) and Football Manager 2014 (to finish my current season before possibly updating to 2017).

Honestly, I don’t see much of a difference between the two so far…Apart from the boring tweeter feed.

Mordheim also, probably… They added the Undead Warband as DLC and I’m curious to fight them !

6. Spacewalk says:

Carmageddon 2. Doing the races legit and cheating past the missions since those are a pain to complete.

• gabrielonuris says:

Those missions were like playing Tomb Raider with a car… Still can’t understand why it couldn’t be like the first one: race throughout the tracks wrecking havok until the end!

• Turkey says:

Ugh. Those levels are pure misery. Why did they even put them in?

7. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I’m not sure, you know. In that dangerous overwhelmed with choice stage. Am giving a Dark Souls 3 a rest for a bit (can never finish the things in one go) and have been flitting all week – a bit of Resident Evil HD, a bit of PES 2017, but neither are fully grabbing me. Time to stare at the back catalogue for a while then realise the weekend’s gone and all I really wanted was to buy Dishonored 2 or Civ 6 but what a waste I have tons of games unplayed already, don’t buy more you idiot

Grizzly says:

In the wake of the release of Dishonored 2, I’m once again playing Dis1. Particularely the Knife of Dunwall and Witches of Brightmore DLCs, as they’re rad, and I’ve played them far less then the base game.

I’m also diving back into my flight simming habits: FSX with the free NL2000 mod is amazing, and I’m slowly exploring all the addons that are on offer at the moment.

9. hoho0482 says:

Not to be contrary to post above… The original dishonoured. Bounced hard last time – same result this time so far, but will give it one more go. Doing nothing to alter my view that stealth fps’s are one trick puzzle games played from an awkward angle.

Mind my flight lesson cancelled this morning due to low cloud – might just try FSX.

• fish99 says:

I think if you play Dishonored purely for the gameplay, then a low chaos play-through will be disappointing for you. In other words the stealth is quite shallow. You need to get into the world and lore, and the environments to really enjoy the game.

For the record though there are first person stealth games with more complex stealth systems, like the original Thief games.

10. -Spooky- says:

– Steep (Beta)
    – Paragon (kinda “hooked” again, the latest updates are not bad)
    – Forza Horizon 3 PC (still a “few” cars to grab)

or what my online crew decided to game otherwise ..

JiminyJickers says:

Tyranny. Loving it so far and can’t get enough.

12. aircool says:

With the new Civ game coming out, I’ve gone back to Endless Legend. I much prefer the fantasy setting and the wildly different factions.

• dogwaddle says:

I got it at the start of the year and got part way through a game w/ the tree folk. I stopped for some reason and haven’t been able to get back into it.

I like the concept of the game but for some reason I just can’t get into it in the same way I have this year for Witcher 3 & DA: Inquisition. Any tips for newbies?

• Chairman_Meow says:

I would say to take it a bit slow, definitely modify your military units, follow the quest line for your faction the best you can, don’t forget diplomacy as an option, and decide what kind of victory you are trying for by early mid-game. The Wild Walkers are actually one of the tougher factions to play (in my opinion), I recommend the Vaulters/Mezari, Broken Lords, or if you have the excellent expansion “Shadows” the Forgotten are a blast to play.

13. Monggerel says:

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead.
    Started out in a custom scenario (“Next Summer”, ie. apocalypse happened a while ago) as Girl Mad Max, but after about two weeks of really weird shit happening to my character, and her transforming in various gruesome ways as a result, I realised I’m actually playing the Cleric Beast from Bloodborne. Currently trying to get back to a state where she is physically capable of interacting with a vehicle, because as it turns out, Cleric Beast ain’t so good at long-distance travel.

14. Lumière says:

Gone Home, I’ve always been curious about, now I’ll enjoy that’s free on Itch.io during this weekend and check that.

Ben King says:

I keep neglecting to put in 30 min or so each day on THUMPER, I swear regular practice is the only way I’ll get through the it. I stalled out on my latest MGSV mission which featured The Skulls in a convoy leaving an airport. Restarted innumerable times because they simply don’t operate with anything like the AI of regular hostile NPC’s like soldiers or even bears:-/ once I finally realized they actually slowly herd towards the player REGARDLESS of whether they are aware of you I finally got through it but it really got me burned out on the game a bit. I may switch gears and finally start Alien Isolation this weekend while feeling super guilty about not playing Shadowrun Dragonfall. Also hopefully getting out to see ARRIVAL this weekend with some friends. Really enjoyed “story of your life” when I picked it up in a nebula awards compilation a few years ago.

Ben King says:

Shoot sorry I was actually going to congratulate you on finally getting to play “Gone Home” then got distracted with my own silly list… I hope you enjoy it!

15. andreymust19 says:

I recommend plays in Resin
    Hard stylish platformer with good music and some Metroidvania-elements.

16. MrFinnishDude says:

Dishonored 2, screw any technical issues I’ve been waITING THIS FOR YEARS

17. Agnosticus says:

I got into Rainbow 6: Siege again, bought the season pass and I’m having an absolute blast! Great tactical FPS!

Also trying to finish DOOM and thinking about buying Mafia 3 cheaply from a keyseller.

18. ButteringSundays says:

Oh I hadn’t heard that dishonored 2 was out, you guys should have really mentioned.

I’m assuming the other 3 were fired because they were playing something noteworthy?

19. Unsheep says:

Blake Stone – Aliens of Gold
    One of my favourite FPS games. Nothing complicated, just a fun sci-fi adventure romp through an space base.

Parkan – The Imperial Chronicles
    A Russian space sim. I’m extremely thankful there’s a manual in English, but it’s not exactly a good translation. So there’s plenty of trial and error involved in learning how to play this game. It’s a very cool and unique game though, it’s well worth the effort. Has the same feel as an X-series game.

Ironclad Tactics
    It’s actually the first card-based game I’ve played. There’s much more depth and complexity to the game than I expected. It’s also very challenging, in a fun way. I enjoy going back to previous missions in order to get more or better cards.

Meridian – Squad 22
    A good sci-fi game, combining RTS with squad-based combat. It often gets very frustrating as the enemy AI has an upper-hand in every single mission, however it’s not the kind of RTS where you win by over-whelming the enemy. You win by reaching the objectives, with or without annihilating the enemy in the process.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Oh wow, I totally forgot about Blake Stone. I used to play the shareware version all the time back when I was a broke teen cruising freeware sites.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Blake Stone is one of the highlights of the era for me. Mostly just a straightforward FPS, but one with some surprisingly good level design for a Wolf3D clone, and one that dared to mix up the formula little with things like friendly NPCs, vending machines and even occasional multi-level puzzles. Lovely spritework, too. It was a bit of a hassle to get it running nicely on my current rig though, the sound in particular caused all kinds of issues…

20. TheAngriestHobo says:

I picked up the enhanced edition of Divinity: Original Sin during the GOG Halloween sale, and I’m enjoying it far more than I enjoyed the original release (which I never finished). I’ll probably be sticking with that.

That said, I also got Dex and Expeditions: Conquistador for free for buying D:OS, and I’ve been mucking around in Dex a little. I won’t say that I love it, but it seems like a decent RPG, and the gameplay reminds me of Double Dragon, which is a huge plus.

It’s also my birthday on Monday, so I’ll be spending a lot of time with friends and family over the long weekend. The best game of all, that.

• gabrielonuris says:

I’ve finished Dex this year, and I think it’s one of the best cyberpunk games I’ve ever played; it has an immersive setting, great soundtrack, good story, augments, a lot of neons and hacking. Oh, I almost forgot: balconies and rooftops! Because it wouldn’t be a proper cyberpunk thing if it hasn’t a couple of those too! Just remember to augment your legs as soon as possible, to reach the higher places in the game.

Captain Narol says:

Expeditions : Conquistador is very good, give it a try !

kfix says:

Happy birthday!

Thirith says:

Some quality Arma 2 coop with mates, and some more Witcher 3, which I’ve returned to after finishing the delightful Owlboy.

22. NetharSpinos says:

In the span of a week I have completed Impire, tried to tackle the population problem in Carmageddon: MD, ground to a halt in War for the Overworld (who decided speed runs were an intrinsic part of a fucking DK successor?!) and scraped together a few pennies in GTA.

But none of that matters now, for there is only Tyranny.

23. vorador says:

Grim Dawn, trying a retaliation build that is quite nice, but i need to work onto my reflect gear.

Also, bought a Peasant Station 4 Pro(?) this week, so i will be wasting my time on that too.

24. April March says:

Duelyst Duelyst Duelyst Duelyst. It’s been scratching a itch for turn-based, grid-based combat that I’ve mysteriously had for months

• kwyjibo says:

How’s it going? I started just after the Steam launch and I’ve been playing it pretty much constantly since then. It’s become my go to game.

I’ve not spent a penny on it and I got Diamond last month with a budget Faice deck. Been a bit busy so have only twenty games so far this season. But going for Diamond again, this time with Mech Faie.

I really appreciate the quick games and the amount of variety I get despite being a f2p scrub.

You should all play Duelyst.

Jekadu says:

I’ll try to get back on track with my studies, try to recover from the disastrous news of the week and maybe play some WoW with my guild.

I’m also having a lot of fun with Tyranny — it’s a nice mix of Black Company, Chrono Trigger and Pillars of Eternity. Fairly short, highly replayable and interesting systems. The editor should have been far more aggressive, though. Game’s way too wordy and characters sound weirdly well-educated considering most of them can’t read.

particlese says:

I’m working a bit, and then it’s back to helping my sister set up her new PC. I helped her pick parts, but she put the thing together without any help from me, except figuring out some weirdo case fan connectors. Did me proud! But then Windows 7 decided it didn’t like the lack of EHCI or whatever disaster tends to happen with Z170 boards (didn’t affect me, somehow), so it looks like she’ll have to mess around with modding Win7 ISOs or hunt down an interesting BIOS option or two. Linux works without any complaint, so at least we know it’s not a hardware problem.

Then? Same old, plus some VR things I’ve been meaning to catch up on and some free games mentioned in still-open RPS tabs. (Namely, Skreletons Hotdog Kitchen and some of those IF Comp 2016 entries Emily mentioned.)

particlese says:

Well, looks like Trackmania Turbo VR was focus tested by a bunch of people they found spontaneously vomiting on the streets who were too busy barfing to give any actual feedback.

The tracks are boring and short, it seems that you can’t play any of the normal tracks, there are track elements which kill the engine before you go downhill, and the camera frequently switches perspective an a way which ostensibly seems designed to prevent nausea but also/mostly/just kills immersion and is really confusing. There doesn’t even seem to be a “lock the camera to the bloody windshield” option for those who can take a little queeziness in exchange for something exciting.

I probably wouldn’t be so annoyed if there wasn’t the precedence of the hacked-in Rift DK2 support in Trackmania Squared — which was more nausea-inducing but way more fun as someone who’s minimally affected by the VR barfs — or if they hadn’t announced VR support for Turbo over a year ago near the game’s release/main announcement. Thanks for not completely forgetting, I guess.

AutonomyLost says:

I’m playing “trying to maintain sanity whilst rumors of Trump’s Cabinet picks run rampant”. This just keeps getting worse…

Also, most likely Hitman and Infinite Warfare. I need to project some of my intense feelings on helpless NPCs.

• dogwaddle says:

Watching with confusion because of his “drain the swamp” message morphing into “replace swamp with new swamp”. It feels as if he wasn’t planning on winning and now that chaos has erupted, he is being taken advantage of.

• Arren says:

…he is being taken advantage of.

Oh FFS — this is weapons-grade naïveté. Poor Donald, being taken advantage of.

Want to buy a bridge?

28. Leafcutter says:

For those who enjoy a good ol’ transport sim, I recommend ‘Transport Fever’ which is sequel to Train Fever.

Very good if you like that sort of thing and what I’ll be playing this w/e.

• bills6693 says:

I will be doing the same – especially as I have just spent an indecent amount of time going through the files to make the town names only names of places I know. For some reason I did this in train fever and like that all the towns had familiar names!

29. CletusVanDamme says:

I shall be playing Arkham Horror the card game. Lovely stuff.

• mgardner says:

Awesome, have fun with that! I did not preorder, so of course it sells out on all online stores the day it is released. My local (30 miles) game store hasn’t gotten their shipment yet, and said they will hold a copy for me – so I have my fingers crossed that they actually do get some next week. I am hoping it is not as “perfect deck” dependant as LotR LCG. Nice to see multiple difficulty levels are designed in.

30. lalilulelo says:

“Somebody should make a stealth game in which you have to walk through a morgue containing all of the people you killed at the end”
    There’s already a game like that, more or less! Metal Gear Solid 3!

31. SooSiaal says:

Motorsport manager,having an absolute blast with it sofar,first season seems to be just upgrading the hq to make a more solid start in the next season, but as one of the lesser teams i’m already getting some good results :)

32. Chorltonwheelie says:

Dishonored 2.

Everything on Ultra with V-Sync on. Rock solid 60fps @1440×2560 (170-77 unlocked).
    i5 3570k @4.6
    Maximus V gene
    16GB RAM
    GTX 1080 (Palit Super Jetstream).

Waiting ages for this sequel. Very smug, very happy. I may venture out for food in a day or so.

33. welverin says:

I actually managed to finish Deus Ex Mankind Divided before Dishonored 2 released, so I’ll be able to start the later guilt free.

That will be interspersed with some Destiny, TF2, and Evolve.

34. dawnmane says:

Tyranny. I am a couple of hours in, and I have talked to Barik about everything I could, haven’t skipped a single cutscene and could tell you everything about the game world the game has let me know so far. An RPG has never held my (incredibly short) attention like this before.

35. Kaeoschassis says:

My most likely picks this weekend will be a new run in Master of Orion 2 (with some interesting or unusual picks to spice things up, not sure what yet), continuing my current team in Titans of Steel: Warring Suns (who have had some pretty abysmal luck lately, but still, turn-based giant robot tactics at its best as far as I’m concerned), or returning to the wonderful Fantasy General, courtesy of GOG’s recent sale. Been meaning to pick that one up again for years.

36. Synesthesia says:

I’ll be playing Oh Fuck it’s over, what the fuck have you done, and waking up in cold sweats in the middle of the night forever.

link to advances.sciencemag.org

ffordesoon says:

Hey, that’s my favorite game right now! What level are you on?

Captain Narol says:

Wow, it’s getting hot in here !

Well, let’s have a Titanic party while the band is still playing…

Next one to say it’s just a chinese hoax should be condamned to play “Call of Duty : Infinite Warfare” until the end of times !

• hippocrat says:

Thanks for the link to “Nonlinear climate sensitivity and its implications for future greenhouse warming”. I’ll include this in my high school science class this week. It is so helpful that more and more publishers are opting for Open Access; really helps out teachers and anyone with a shred of curiosity and interest in closer-to-the-source information.

If you want to further increase your chances of convincing those up the power-chain, give your reps a call. Emails and petitions get sorted into bottomless hoppers, but verbal communication can actually get staffers oss their affes and transmitting concerns.

ffordesoon says:

Titanfall 2 for me. After the election cored my soul out of my body, a terrific runny-jumpy manshoot with giant robots is nice comfort food.

38. Zenicetus says:

Dishonored 2 here. I’m almost through with the 3rd mission, playing as Emily and running about 70% stealth, 30% killing when I screw up the stealth. About the same as the first game.

It’s good fun in terms of the game mechanics, but man… it’s dour and depressing as a story and setting. I wanted something to get my mind off the political apocalypse (don’t blame me, I live on the western “blue” side of Washington state and we’re all in shock), but I might need to switch to something lighter for a while.

Thulsa Hex says:

I’m pretty bummed about what’s going on in my adoptive country this week but have been trying to stay pro-active where possible.

In Gameland, I feel like I’m missing out a little on the buzz of some excellent-seeming new releases, but I’m starting a new job next week and need to wait until the $ starts trickling in more steadily before I can justify buying expensive new games. That said, to cheer myself up a little I bought the intro pack for Hitman and it really is very good! It feels like a genuine successor to Blood Money, so I’m happy. I’ll definitely pick up the rest of the levels at some point, but for now it’s been great to get a proper taste of the experience after only putting down $12.

40. anevilyak says:

Candle for me, seeing as it came out just in time for the weekend, and I’ve been waiting for this moment for years. :-)

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I don’t know, I had planned on getting into Titanfall 2’s multiplayer but we’ll see. At this point I am bad past the point of having fun. Also, is it possible to block the chat somehow? :|

I should look through my backlog and find something to play there. Or just play through Titanfall 2’s campaign again. I can definitely see it becoming one of those games I play once a year.

Speaking of which, I haven’t played Half-Life 2 yet this year…

• vahnn says:

Disable the voice chat? “Voice Volume” in the Audio options menu. I think that’s it. Not Dialog, that’s NPCs and radio chatter.

It just takes some practice. If you would like some advice:

-Try Stim as your beginning Pilot ability, unlocked at level 3. It heals you to full quickly and the huge burst of speed helps you get going again if you biff a wall jump or slide combo. Getting stuck in the open on the ground wasd my biggest killer early in my career.

-Practice wall run combos and slide combos to maintain momentum. Multiplayer is much more frenetic and you have to be able to move quickly under pressure. Remember, 1-2 seconds of wall running, followed by a long jump (don’t double jump until you’re already falling downward) is the fastest way to build speed. The slide took me a while to learn. I bound a key as HOLD Crouch, and hold that as you land, then jump again while sliding. To practice…

-Start a Private Match by yourself and run around for a bit! No pressure!

-Take the R-201 assault rifle or the CAR submachine gun. They have high rates of fire, relatively little recoil, and can be fired reasonably accurately from the hip. Stick with one until you get the perk that allows you to shoot while sprinting. It will change the game for you!

-Join one of the big networks out there: [BOMB], [F3], [RDDT]. I’ve found that there’s always someone willing to answer questions or give some pointers if you ask.

Stick with it. You’ll get better!

teije says:

Along with the rest of my country, trying to recover from watching our overbearing, yet usually amiable, neighbour to the south have a complete effing meltdown this week.

So games are good. Finished with Stellaris for the nonce after the recent good update, playing Technobabylon, and very intrigued about Tyranny, as I liked, but didn’t love, Pillars. Would like to hear (non-spoiler) impressions from RPS and others.

43. fish99 says:

I picked up Dishonored 2 yesterday. Haven’t seen how it runs yet, but with a patch potentially only a few days away I think I might wait and play something else this weekend – maybe Assassins Creed Syndicate.

44. LuckyDenver says:

Tyranny all the way. Pillars is one of my favorite recent games and this one seems poised to join the list as well. Except now that it’s out it’s a long wait for a full release of Tides next year.

45. DevilishEggs says:

Sanitarium, which I started around Halloween. The Speed of Doom wad for classic doom.

46. vahnn says:

SWTOR (my brother dragged me into it. Sigh.) And Tyranny. It’s installed but haven’t launched it yet. And Titanfall 2. Lots and lots of Titanfall 2. Then lots more Titanfall 2. It’s so good.

47. yogibbear says:

Dishonored 2. Stuck inside Clocktower Mansion kind of lost. :D

48. Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

I’ll be playing the old WH40K strategy games I picked up during the GOG sale, specifically Chaos Gate and Rites of War.
    I have almost finished Rites of War and I have to say, as far as Panzer General derivates go, it’s pretty great. I might even enjoy it more than the original: it comes down to accessibility, basically. It’s much less obsessed than PZG2 with ridiculously tight turn limits which forced you to do a mission again and again and it doesn’t have that particular problem that any person in the world who is not Tim Stone faces when dealing with groggy sims and strategy games. I spend so much time in those games going: “What the hell is a kubelwagen anyway? Wait, it’s just a car?! I’m studying stats and operational role of a car for fun, apparently…” whereas here, being decently fluid with 40k, I can just look at a unit and know broadly what it does.

I’ll tackle Chaos Gate as soon as I’m done, I remember it being an excellent XCOMlike with spehs muhreens.

49. parsley says:

I’ll probably play Gone Home, since it’s free and I’ve been curious about it. Quur looks absolutely charming, so I might try that as well. I’d like to paint the world beautiful colors this weekend.

50. hippocrat says:

12 November 2016 is the first Battleborn Day, started in /r/battleborn and backed by Gearbox devs, but we don’t use Xbox Live Gold, and I’m feeling more like Hearthstone or Rocket League, anyway. We really like Battleborn as a couch co-op game, and probably wouldn’t play online much even if we could.

Got back into Skyrim a few months ago but it’s been weeks and I haven’t shouldered my broadsword to walk among the god rays. Battleborn yesterday, Hearthstone every day, Rocket League now and then, and Netrunner a few times a month, with the same person. We have our own meta game. Tried one of the better Tabletop Simulator mods (easier to make decks and take care of the fiddly stuff), but in-person is better for us.

I taught a few students to play Go, Chess, and Codenames recently.

Any advice for games to use in high school, for learning and community-building? I’ve used Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, which they took to pretty well.

Comment on this story