Pendulo Launch New Adventure Game, Yesterday Origins

Pendulo Studios, the makers of The Next Big Thing and the Runaway series, this week released their latest adventure game. It’s Yesterday Origins [official site], the follow-up to 2012’s Yesterday. It’s a tale of immortality and power struggles, with a visual style I find quite interesting.

Yesterday Origins centers around John Yesterday, who after escaping from the Spanish Inquisition 500 years ago, was forced to undergo a ritual which left him immortal… sorta. John can still die, but then he comes back to life the same age he was when he underwent the ritual. Also, his memories of the past vanish each time he resurrects, bummer.

The game is a quest to find the artifact that will allow John to complete the ritual correctly so he doesn’t have to lose his memory anymore. To reach that goal you’ll run into the standard adventure fare of puzzles and riddles.

I’m impressed by how high the production values look for a game from a smaller pair of studios. Publishers Microids are behind Syberia 2, and have a catalog dating all the way back to the Amiga, and paired with the Pendulo Studios brings to the table they’ve all put together a great-looking title. How does it play? I’ve not had a go, and couldn’t tell you.

You can purchase Yesterday Origins now on Steam for £22.99/29,99€/$29.99, which is 20% off the normal price.

From this site

1. liquidsoap89 says:

I enjoyed Yesterday, so I’ll put this on my “ones to watch” list.

2. Carra says:

I liked their Runaway games. If I remember well John didn’t.

3. malkav11 says:

I couldn’t tell you how this one plays, but Runaway was atrocious and I’ve heard nothing to suggest they’ve improved in any way.

4. Lukasz says:

Is that sequel to Yesterday?

I watched the let’s play of the game and the game was very decent. Good story and the immorality is a twist which comes early but is still a major surprise.

I don’t recall any puzzle being too weird. Just standard adventure stuff and room searching for items or things to use your items on.

5. harcalion says:

I have been playing their games since the first (Igor: Objetivo Uikokahonia in 1994) and the change in style in Runaway 2 and 3, which I didn’t like either, was probably caused by the need to release them first in France and Germany. Later games like The Next Big Thing and Yesterday were great.

6. Ross Angus says:

Is … is that accent meant to be Scottish?

7. Unsheep says:

I did not like the Runaway series at all, but this new series might be something for me. I’ll have to watch a playthrough first though, to see if I actually like the characters and story.

I’m also not a huge fan of this modern 3D art style, I much prefer the retro look of a Wadjet Eye game and similar.

Comment on this story