Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ to officially add some mods

Tearjerking expansion The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ [official site] will add new items and enemies and bosses and all that to the baby simulator, I’m sure you know, and bring official mod support too. We’ve known that for yonks! Here’s a neat twist: some of the best mods will be officially added to the game in updates.

Isaac co-creator Edmund McMillen explained in a blog post last night that maybe once a month they’ll rummmage through player-made mods for the good stuff.

“Once AB+ is out and the community starts running wild with mod insanity, I’ll be peeking in on Reddit and looking out for my favorite new additions. I’ll hand-pick my favorite stuff, (with a little help from the fans and possibly a Twitter poll or 2) toss it to the team and said content will be added to the main game officially!

“This is a feature I’m really looking forward to, I feel like I’ve personally scraped the barrel when it comes to item design and feel quite depleted, but I’m positive that there are a ton of cool ideas out there that are so left field that they MUST be added to the main game. So once this thing releases, it’s time to prove your worth! COME ON DESIGNERS! MAKE IT WORK!”

A release date isn’t quite settled yet but Afterbirth+ isn’t far out.

“What I can say is AB+ will release in the next 60 days on Steam the goal has always been to release at the very end of the year and are still shooting for it but there are some things that are a bit out of our control.”

I’d better crack on with finishing up a few key challenges and runs to unlock my remaining fancy Afterbirth stuff.

From this site

1. rondertaker says:

SO FUCKING HYPE FOR THIS UGHHHHHHHHHHHH

2. Da5e says:

Have you lot made an editorial decision not to have headlines in title case? It’s making my brain itch.

• Alice O'Connor says:

We’re trying sentence case for a bit because title case becomes confusing worldglarb when writing headlines including the sort of nonsense names video games have. This may not be permanent.

• Universal Quitter says:

I really like it for the subtitle, as it really does make the first, main title pop out clearly.

• ButteringSundays says:

Yes! Thank you! I’m 100% more typographically satisfied!

Sentence case is more readable and simply looks better. Title case is for those that wish to write intentionally ambiguous headlines. Especially when the subject matter almost always includes a proper noun!

Please stick with it!

• Ghostwise says:

I approve of this typographical decision with all the considerable weight of my moral authority and world-famous wisdom.

I hope yer suitably impressed.

• Da5e says:

Fair enough. I do a lot of headline-based writing and editing, and I’d lean toward italicising game titles instead.

3. Enkidum says:

Just got up to 75% on Afterbirth yesterday. So hard to get Hush and Mega Satan with some characters…

• ButtonDownMind says:

I can’t offer too much advice on Hush, seeing as whether or not your run can beat him is a bit of a crapshoot, but I found the Sacrifice Rooms to be very helpful in consistently getting to Mega Satan without having to give up on deals with the devil.

• Enkidum says:

Yeah, if you’ve got enough hearts you can always use the Sacrifice rooms to get the key. Unfortunately, the speed run necessary to get to Hush is not conducive to doing that, so I’m pretty much stuck aiming for either/or. I also haven’t unlocked The Keeper, so there’s a whole bunch more grinding in my future.

• kyynis says:

One tactic I found useful: Hold R in first room until you get a seed with treasure room right next to start. If item is good, continue with the run, otherwise, keep restarting. Unlock all the items you can, especially the orbitals and Soul are immensely useful when avoiding Hush’s death blossoms. Stopwatch makes it trivial, broken one also works if you get lucky.

• blur says:

I just got 1001% on Friday! I’ve been looking forward to feeling “finished” in Isaac for a while, until AB+ comes out.

The keeper took me WEEKS, btw, to get Mega Satan.

• Dezmiatu says:

I feel you. I was close to the 1001%, just had to do the Lost achievements and finish up on items, when my comp crashed. Took out my save, and steam cloud only had a barely progressed save. So I am back to the grind.

4. JNB says:

Hmm, interestingly my first thought was “Will the content creators be compensated in any way?”. Which is odd because I didn’t think I cared.

I’m sure most will just be thrilled that their content was chosen.

No, I’ve made a decision now, as long as mod makers are aware of the terms when they go in, all is well… right?

Comment on this story