They are Groot: Telltale’s Guardians of the Galaxy?

It is the year 2801. A man weeps as he is forced to play Last of the Summer Wine: A Telltale Adventure. It is the last remaining hitherto unadapted license in the world. He sobs as he remembers Supermarket Sweep: A Telltale Adventure and the living hell that was Fifty Shades of Grey: A Telltale Adventure. A small scream looses his lips as he recalls the day his own husband became a Telltale Adventure. He knows it is only a matter of time before he, too, is adapted. If he can just make Last Of The Summer Wine: A Telltale Adventure – Episode 5: Compo Washes His Hat last as long as he can, he can defer his own terrible fate. Maybe three hours, maybe four. Then he, the last human, will become an episodic narrative adventure game.

If only he – and the rest of humanity – had seen this coming, back in those innocent days of 2016, when Guardians Of The Galaxy: A Telltale Adventure was leaked.

The leak came via the recent and ongoing strike action by videogame voice actors, being listed as a project that has not yet reached an agreement. (ComicbookMovie has the details). While it is not absolutely certain that this is a Telltale project, it is attributed to “O’Farrel Enterprises, LLC”, who are also listed under The Walking Dead Season 3, similarly affected. The potential smoking gun is that we did already know Telltale were working on a Marvel property. The result of which would seem to be ‘Guardians of the Galaxy- The Video Game aka Blue Harvest.’

Additionally, Eurogamer imply they’ve heard other rumours to similar effect, and suggest we might be in for a reveal at next month’s The Doritos Game Awards.

All makes sense, I guess – dysfunctional pseudo-family, fight sequences, faux-hand-drawn style. Could be good – BUT WHAT WILL THEY COME FOR NEXT?

From this site

1. Konservenknilch says:

Makes sense. But I just want more Sam&Max and ToMI for christs sake.

Risingson says:

Sam&Max games are way more intelligent thematically than any second of the Walking Dead series, but you know, the only guy in RPS that has some respect for lateral thinking is Richard Cobbett. The rest are fine with games where you must repeat the same actions over and over again, like Skyrim, No Man’s Sky and so on. No surprises, no puzzle that involves more than two screens, all safe.

Harlander says:

“Games where you must repeat the same action over and over again” – or, to boil things down to their most basic, “games”.

2. Ashabel says:

Setting my fairly low opinion of the Guardians movie aside, the source reeks of unreliable. I dug all over the SAG-AFTRA website, which ComicbookMovie strangely don’t link despite claiming that they’re the ones who provided the list used to uncover this bit of news, and there is absolutely nothing about a recent list of projects that are still struggling to negotiate a new deal following the strike.

Furthermore, their list includes Hearthstone despite the fact that Activision Blizzard did agree to the new demands. CoD Infinite Warfare has actors being paid royalties based on the sales of the game, for instance.

3. Darth Gangrel says:

I’ve only played The Wolf Among Us when it comes to Telltales games and only once, but as far as I know “I am Groot” has more significance than “[name] will remember this”. In what way does that remembrance manifest itself?

4. MisterFactoryNewPotatohead says:

How was the man from 2801 alive back in 2016? PLOTHOLE! Garbage sci-fi concept 1/10

5. Binky the Boojum says:

Last of the Summer Wine would make an excellent game.
    In each of the program’s episodes, one or more of the characters get
    involved in a quest. Also It takes place in a setting that might lend itself to open world play.

6. TheAngriestHobo says:

Telltale continues its fine tradition of releasing games based off of IPs I couldn’t care less about.

Also, I feel like TT should just stop calling games “Season 1”, considering that 90% of them will never get a second season. I swear this studio has ADHD.

• HamsterExAstris says:

They have stopped calling their games “Season 1”. I think The Walking Dead was the last one released as “Season 1” right off the bat; everything from The Wolf Among Us on has simply been “[The/A] Telltale [Games] Series”.

7. Turkey says:

Getting a Telltale tie-in for your billion dollar entertainment franchise is some next-level decadence.

8. Isendur says:

Are people really liking these games? I liked The Wolf Among Us, but after that one I pretty much came to the conclussion that I played them all. The same gimmick got old for me. Why is this still a thing? (I’m not hating just really curious) I can’t invest my time in these games – they end after 1 season. What’s the point? There is no real closure in them.

Comment on this story