Can it: The Whispered World sequel Silence released

Silence [official site], Daedalic’s sequel to their adventure game The Whispered World, has arrived. Gosh, what a looker! Look at ↑ that! I couldn’t tell you about its puzzling and I couldn’t tell you if it’s any good — for that you’ll likely want to play the demo yourself — but I can tell you it’s jolly pretty. More prettiness follows in the launch trailer:

I never played the first game but our John did, back in the days when our John was still moonlighting for Eurogamer (and rebuffing Bruce Willis). You can his Wot I Think (or, as Eurogamer call it, his ‘review’? must be a Europeanese word) over here. In short, he said it’s pretty, its adventure game logic is irritating, its writing is good, and its protagonist has a terrible voice. Hey, I can at least tell you that Sadwick isn’t the only protagonist this time.

Silence is £23.99/29,99€/$29.99 on Steam and GOG for Windows, Mac, and Linux. If you fancy a go first, you can download its Windows demo from Steam and GOG.

From this site

1. kalirion says:

Hmm, I’m not sure how I feel about the move to 3D models in Daedalic point&clicks. Always loved their 2D style.

2. Darth Gangrel says:

Silence – that’s what many people wished for when they first heard Sadwick’s voice. Now they finally get it!

• H-Alien says:

I’m actually hoping they didn’t change Sadwick’s voice. I liked the little guy in the end….

• ezro says:

Yeah, I’m not sure if it maybe wasn’t the case of my mind finally breaking down and going haywire from so much repeated negative stimulus, but in the end I grew to really love Sadwick’s voice. It fit perfectly with the strange, beautiful world of TWW. Sadly, if I’m not very much mistaken, they’ve changed it.

I’m also among the very few who actually enjoyed the puzzles in the first game. I was sure that Silence would be an instant buy for me, but then I read from one of beta testers on the steam forums that apparently at least the first half of the game pretty much plays itself.

I have great faith in Daedalic Studios, but seeing as they decided to go the other way with graphics, puzzles, Sadwick’s VA, generally most of the things that I loved about the first game, I think I’ll wait for the reviews after all.

• Halk says:

Just play the original version with subtitles. :-P

Sadwick’s German voice is actually quite funny — in a depressing kind of way.

Marclev says:

I’m a fan of point and click adventures and the concept, but I bounced off the first one due to the puzzles being quite frustrating due to what I felt was bad design.

Does anybody know what the puzzles in this one are like?

• G-Lord says:

I also didn’t like the puzzles in the first game. The puzzles in Silence are much more straightforward, giving the game a nice flow.

4. Unsheep says:

The perfect Christmas game for me, so I’ll wait for a bit before buying and playing. I did enjoy the first game, so this is a given more or less.

Every adventure game I’ve played has had ‘some’ annoying puzzles, to me that is very much part of the whole classic Adventure game genre. It’s different if you are playing a modern adventure game, like the later Telltale games, where there’s no real puzzle to even speak of.

Also, what some see as a ‘bad puzzle’ others will see as ‘challenging’ or ‘innovative’. You never know which one it is for you personally until you try it for yourself.

Comment on this story