Black Friday 2016 Budget Monitor Guide

A very naughty monitor

HDR hotness, uber-res 4K panels and the messiah of 27-inch IPS monitors are all very well. But what is a parsimonious PC gamer to do if she or he just wants a decent screen at a price mere mortals can afford? Take the advice I’m just about to give you, that’s what. In fact, you’ll probably be surprised what a limited budget now buys you. Beyond the jump you’ll find everything from sub-£100 screens from 40-inch 4K wonders to high-refresh honeys, and none of them breach the £300 barrier. What’s more, the ghastly spectacle of consumerism that is Black Friday is imminent. Which means now is undeniably a good a time to buy.

First a proviso. For the purposes of this contest for your cash, I’m going to deal with new monitors available from major retailers. Rolling the dice on something second hand or from South Korea via eBay can make a lot of sense. But it’s just too complicated to cover off all those options editorially.

Similarly, I’m going to major on UK pricing here. But what with the pound plunging to new depths seemingly by the day, the dollar figures for these screens are now very similar. At most, add about 10 per cent. As for the £300 cut-off figure, it is inevitably arbitrary. But most of the screen options covered here come in well under that number.

1. Frills-free 1080p TN
This is where the fun starts. And it starts for well under £100. The main attraction here will be for those of you soldiering on with something really ancient, say an old 20-inch 1,680 by 1,050 panel or, god forbid, a 17-inch 1,280 by 1,024 effort. If so, you owe it to yourself to grab an upgrade.

For about £80 you can bag a 22-inch 1,920 by 1,080 from a big brand like BenQ, Acer or Iiyama. In return, you’ll get a nice step up in detail and desktop space, along with decent pixel response. £90 buys you something similar, but 24 inches across. Just remember the resolution is the same, so there’s no more detail and indeed the net result is a fatter pixel pitch compared to a 22-inch model.

Either way, what you won’t get is particularly vivid colours or expansive viewing angles. Nor will you get much by way of frills. Minimal inputs and a tilt-only stand pretty much sum it up

I’d probably go for something like the £85 Iiyama Prolite E2283HS-B1. Iiyama generally doesn’t mess about and this model has both DVI and HDMI for improved connectivity options where many in this segment have only DVI.

The only caveat here is that if your old screen is actually a nice IPS effort, there could be a little trade off in terms of colours and viewing angles.

2. Super-cheap IPS and VA fare
For just a whisker more, believe it or not, you can opt for superior panel tech in the same 22-inch, 1,920 by 1,080 pixel format. Both IPS and VA panels are available for £90-95.

I say superior. All the really cheap IPS screens I have seen have been 6-bit affairs in terms of colours per channel and not all that impressive regards overall image quality. They tend to lack the punch and vibrancy you normally associate with IPS. That said, for under £100, there’s only so much you can expect and they are still marginally preferable to a cheap TN. Lag and pixel response are both typically acceptable, incidentally.

An alternative is BenQ’s 22-inch GW2270H which goes for just £90 is not only VA but also claims to do proper 8-bit per channel colour. Thanks to the VA panel, contrast and black levels should be good. That’s awfully impressive for the money.

A possible problem could be pixel response, typically a weak point for VA screens. But I haven’t seen this monitor in the flesh. If you can find one on display to try before you buy or source one from a vendor with a friendly returns policy, it could well be worth a look.

3. Cheap TN plus FreeSync
The next step up is 22-inch and TN again, but now with FreeSync. AOC’s G2260VWQ6 ticks those boxes for just £110 or £120 for a similar 24-inch model. As much as I like the idea of frame syncing tech, personally I wouldn’t bother. That’s because I’ve yet to see FreeSync implemented properly on any screen, let alone one at this price point. That said, both of those AOC models are gaming centric with 1ms response times which means you can probably treat the FreeSync feature as a frill. Just remember you’ll need an AMD graphics card.

In short, if frame syncing is a must-have, Nvidia’s G-Sync is the way to go. Problem is, it’s far more expensive. And of course you’ll need a recent Nvidia GPU, too.

4. 27-inch 1080p
The next category involves a big step up in panel size, but no additional pixels. So that’s 1,920 by 1,080 or 1080p Full HD on a 27-inch panel. For pure gaming, this makes a lot of sense. You get a big, bold screen for not a lot of money and it’ll be a good match for a modest graphics card.

The downside is a relative lack of sharpness. 1080p on a 27-inch panel really does make for very fat pixels. That’s primarily an issue for non-gaming applications. So it comes down to how you plan to use it. I’d steer clear of this option if it’s for your do-everything primary PC.

Still, £150 buys you both TN and VA options. The TN choices will typically be better for gaming with less chance of picking up a model with either piss poor pixel response or horrid input lag. Acer’s G276HL with a TN panel rocks in at 1ms for the aforementioned £150.

The VA alternative, including Acer’s own KA270H, can be had for the same cash and offers the tantalising prospect of better colours and contrast. But the risks are high with this type of panel regards poor pixel response and input lag. Take great care.

5. High-feature 24-inch
Bit of a complicated category this one. For around £230 to £260, you have a choice of 24-inch models that offer some intriguing gaming-relevant tech. I’m talking G-Sync, 1440p resolution, IPS panel tech and high refresh. The snag is that you can’t have all of them in a single screen.

If first person shooters are your thing, I’d pick the TN high-refresh option. The AOC G2460PF ticks that box in TN format with some added FreeSync action for £230.

For everything else, I’d lean 1440p – in other words, 2,560 by 1,440 pixels – with the proviso that it comes with a significant uptick in GPU load compared to a 1080p panel. In this category, I like the smell of the Acer Predator G247HYU. It combines 1440p with IPS and is expressly pitched as a gaming monitor, so you’d expect Acer to have made sure that input lag isn’t an issue. For £230, it could well be a winner.

Just remember that 1440p on a 24-inch panel will mean pretty small pixels. That’s great for sharpness. But if you have slightly dodgy eyesight, it could be an issue for desktop work.

6. 27-inch 1440p
Speaking of 1440p, for some time now the sane-money sweetspot has arguably been that resolution on a 27-inch panel. Pricing here can be quite variable, but the options are TN or IPS panel technology.

I’ve seen quite a few 27-inch 1440p TN panels, including the really expensive Asus Swift efforts, and none have impressed me with their basic image quality. But there’s definitely much more detail and sharpness than a 1080p panel at this size.

Anyway, if speed and response are major priorities, something like the TN Iiyama Prolite B2783QSU-B1 for about £250 makes sense. Otherwise, I’d pick an IPS version with its gorgeous colours and far superior viewing angles and settle in for several years of very enjoyable gaming and general computing for a whisker under £300. BenQ’s GW2765HT ticks all those boxes for £299.

7. 28-inch TN 4K
This is a problematical category but it does just slip under the £300 barrier. It’s problematical because you’re going to need one hell of a graphics card to drive a 4K panel properly in modern games. And if you can afford that GPU, are you going to cut corners on the screen?

That said, this species of panel represents by far the best TN tech currently available. It offers far, far better colours and contrast than any other TN category. So, it’s not just about those eight million pixels.

In truth, I see these screens more as the cheap option for accessing massive desktop space rather than really gaming centric. But they are very nice screens for the money and might make sense for some of you. If so, the action starts with the likes of the AOC U2879VF for £299.

8. Super-wide screens
Full disclosure: I’ve never been a fan of 29-inch super-wide 21:9 aspect screens. The problem is that the modest 1,080 vertical resolution has always felt too restrictive on such a large screen. So, my £250-£300 would always go on a 1440p monitor, especially for a multi-purpose panel.

Unfortunately, super-wide 34-inch panels with 1,440 vertical pixels remain painfully pricey. Anyway, for pure gaming, super-wide can be serious fun so the 29 inchers have their niche. LG does the 29UM68-P, which packs 2,560 by 1,080 pixels in that 21:9 29-inch form factor. It’s IPS and supports FreeSync, too. Nice package for £260.

9. 4K HDTVs
Major caveat here: I’ve haven’t tried using a 4K TV as a monitor, so this category is somewhat theoretical. However, on paper it makes sense. Most cheap 4K TVs now include HDMI 2.0 connectivity, so you can drive them happily at 60Hz assuming your graphics card is similarly equipped.

My main fear involves possible input lag. But if you can try before you buy or snag one from a retailer happy to take returns. At this price point – ie around £300 – you’re looking at a lesser known brand and something like a 40-inch Hisense M3300. And of course you have the standard 4K problem, which is driving all those pixels smoothly in games.

But my daily screen is a 40-inch 4K panel that may technically be a monitor, but is based on TV tech and I’d struggle to go back to something with fewer pixels, that’s for sure.

10. Offbeat oddities
As if all the above weren’t enough to be getting on with, there are a number of weird and wonderful categories I haven’t covered. How about Samsung’s C27F591, for instance? It’s 27-inch, it’s got a VA panel, it’s 1080p, it’s got Free-Sync and it’s curved – in a 16:9 ratio. Yours for about £260. Weird, but who knows, maybe brilliant.

It’s just one example of a screen that doesn’t fit into a standard category. In practice, most of these odd-ball options probably won’t make sense. But if you have very specific requirements, it’s remarkable just how many options you now have below £300.

Where would your money go?
I’m pixel-count and panel-size glutton, so I would personally try to make a 4K 40-inch TV work and probably regret the effort.

But, actually, two categories stand out. The first is 27-inch 1440p IPS. It’s a great all-round compromise for detail, GPU load and basic image quality. It’s still the sweet spot in many regards.

The highly compromised and yet awfully appealing alternative is 28-inch TN 4K. Driving the pixels is a pain. But these screens prove TN panels can be pretty and the inherent future-proofing of the 4K resolution is awfully compelling.

Anywho, shout out your own personal panel peccadilloes below and remember to check our Black Friday 2016 Best PC Gaming Deals article for a regularly updated roundup when the real deals begin.

From this site

1. FurryLippedSquid says:

I’m still defibbing a 19″ 1280×1024 TFT panel into life every morning. On which the buttons don’t work. Circa 2005. The longest serving PC hardware I have ever owned.

I love it dearly but fuck me, it has to go.

• dangermouse76 says:

Same here, have a Samsung 1440 x 900 Syncmaster 940BW 10 years old with weird wavy lines running through it.
      Thankfully I found a BenQ 1080p monitor for £30 at a charity shop, dual monitor yeah !

dnelson says:

Hehe. I have ancient Dell E197FP monitors on my PCs at home and work. Moninfo says the one I’m currently typing at was manufactured in March 2007 :) 19″ at 1280×1024 is all the resolution I need.

• Pharaoh Nanjulian says:

My brother plays on a very similar monitor – the 17″ version from our family’s first computer. That and we sometimes break out a 640×480 projector I found in a skip. Being a designer I am cock of the walk with my BenQ 1920×1080 from 2009. We play a number of squad-based FPSs and with similarly aged hardware top the leaderboards on occasion. I must say that widescreen monitors can be a real pain for working on. On my laptop I’d much rather a square format for portrait documents and less scrolling.

I think it’s good there’s an article about cheaper things – it seems many people use what they have rather than chasing the thousand pound graphics cards and matching monitors!

2. rodan32 says:

Worth mentioning the Dell S2417DG. It’s going to be more like £320/$399*, but 1440p with G-sync for that price?

*But now I look at the pricing for our UK friends, and it’s much much more money for you guys; more like £440, so that really defeats the point.

But in the US, probably worth looking at, and only just outside of “budget” range.

• chromedbustop says:

I actually just picked up one of these monitors. Wish I could have waited until a possible sale, but my other one was close to death. If one can find this model on sale I’d totally suggest getting it. 1440p, G-sync, 144hz. There’s not many 24″ monitors that offer all of that.

As mentioned the pixels are noticeably smaller on a 24 inch monitor, but my eyesight is fine and the extra real estate is nice.

3. Styxie says:

That 1440p IPS BenQ looks good, but is four milliseconds too high for a gaming monitor?

• brucethemoose says:

That’s almost imperceptible. Just for reference, a 120hz frame is 8.3ms.

• Styxie says:

That’s good to know, thanks. I’d heard that it can be a problem for gaming on tvs, I just wasn’t sure what the acceptable range was.

Nauallis says:

Nah, it’s fantastic. I have one of the BenQ GW2760HS 27″ VA panels with that response time.

What’s most important is what you predominantly play, and how dark those games are. IMO it’s better to have a high native contrast ratio and either a VA or IPS panel with something like a 4ms response time.

It’s possible to get a faster pixel refresh but usually the overall picture quality isn’t as great, for the same money.

• brucethemoose says:

Unfortunately only VA panels have that nice contrast ratio, and they’re harder to find. IPS blacks aren’t that great.

We’ll probably see more VA panels out of necessity as HDR becomes more of a thing.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I’ve got one and it’s a great monitor. I don’t have a lot to compare, but I’ve never noticed it being at all sluggish on Battlefield 4 for instance. I’m no pro-gamer, but then you wouldn’t be considering IPS if you were either.

For image quality and the step up from 1080p it’s fantastic. Colours are really bright, only downside is quite a bit of light bleed round the edges. Only noticeable on dark scenes but definitely there.

• PseudoKnight says:

I thought I’d offer a differing opinion. I much prefer my low response time TN monitor than my IPS one. People say 4ms isn’t noticeable, but that’s grey-to-grey. It’s noticeable in practice. Not everyone will care, though. If you prefer higher contrast over movement clarity, then by all means, go for the IPS.

• Caiman says:

That’s the same monitor I bought about a month ago, and it’s been a great purchase. Much better looking than my old Samsung Syncmaster 223BW (which served me well for years, mind); the improvement in contrast, colours and sharpness is huge. The blacks aren’t inky like you’d see with OLED, but better than the TN. As for slightly higher response time, there’s no way that’s ever going to make a difference to me. I’m not a small, hyperactive mammal, and besides, my Devil Daggers time keeps getting better regardless.

4. brucethemoose says:

Don’t forget 25″ IPS 1440p for $250:

link to amazon.com

The overclockable Korean monitors are still a good deal too. I believe Crossover is the brand to get now.

5. BooleanBob says:

You’ll pry my 16:10 aspect ratio from my cold, dead hands!

• Alfius says:

I know, my main monitor is still a 1900×1200 24″ Samsung job from 2010. Cost me ~£200 back then and you still can’t buy a better monitor for the same money (not accounting for inflation of course).

Eleven says:

I have a 16:10 Dell U2412M just because I love rotating it into portrait. Web-browsing, comics, full-page PDFs. Even in landscape, it just feels less cramped.

6. Aninhumer says:

I’m slightly disappointed by the lack of discussion of high-framerate monitors, since they’re pretty much the only reason I’d buy a new monitor. Are they affordable these days, and are there still tradeoffs in colour? I normally find Laird’s articles a good way to keep track of that kind of thing without much effort…

Ericusson says:

I went for the Acer predator X34 which does not fit into the budget monitor segment.

But it is my first 100Hz monitor screen. The first 2 weeks I had it, I used it on my laptop with a hdmi connection which was limited to 60Hz.
      Once I received my mini DP adaptor, I can say the 100Hz makes it way better for eyes fatigue and colorimetry.

As for the colors, I am simply blown away by the vividity of it all. It makes for an incredible screen, The sunsets of Witcher 3 full lod high res on a 1080 are just mind blowing.

But even at this X34 price IPS comes with a bit of glow and some light bleeding problems that you will only notice in dark screens.

It took me 2-3 weeks to get fully acclimated to the new picture given by the monitor and find proper settings all over the board for the colorimetry.

But color range is really not a problem of my new IPS screen.

• Ghostwise says:

I’ve saved up for an Acer X34P meself (it took many, many months), and live in the hope that it’ll be released March-ish.

But yeah, not “budget” in any sense. :-)

• Xenotone says:

I just got the similar Asus screen and it truly is glorious. Can’t wait to spend all weekend tinkering and marvelling.

7. bee says:

I game on a 4K TV just fine, but your fears about input lag are valid. Some of the 4K TVs do have input lag. Just like monitors people should do their research first. I’ve seen several reviews where people point out bad input lag. Sometimes it can be remedied by turning off default post-processing options on the TV.

I’ve been using a 49″ LG 4K TV as a gaming monitor for about a year now over HDMI 2.0. It works great.

8. TillEulenspiegel says:

I know they have faster response times, but I’d never ever buy a TN monitor again. IPS looks so much better.

9. geldonyetich says:

Having recently purchased a laptop with a lovely IPS G-sync-enabled display, I think it is about time I upgrade my desktop to the same. I am thinking of hunting down the same brand as, whoever they are, they have brought magic color depth to pixels that I did not know was possible.

The laptop is an Asus G752, my guess is the monitor is made by the same. It has a Delta E of 0.85, and I have only how it looks to describe why I don’t want to go back.

• brucethemoose says:

Asus doesn’t make LCD panels, they just package and sell them.

• geldonyetich says:

It introduces a bit kf a mystery, then. If I am to find a screen as lovely as what is in the laptop, how to identify the maker?

Presently, I am thinking if I get something from Asus’ ROG line, it is likely I will end up with the same standard of visual quality under the rationale that the same part selectors were involved.

• brucethemoose says:

Search for replacement panels for your G752 on Google/Ebay. See if you can get a model number from one of the pictures, if it isn’t listed.

Then go to this site, type the model in:

link to panelook.com

And it’ll give you all the info about that panel, as well as info about related LCD panels.

Just glancing at eBay I can’t find a model number for your G752’s panel (otherwise I would’ve linked it), but it’s somewhere out there.

EDIT: Also, you can sometimes see it in the driver manager.

10. Fire_Storm says:

Oh, you want an outsider…

How about a 32″ 1440p Freesync VA panel that goes to 70Hz and with a little mod extends the Freesync range to 33-70?

You just have to ignore the big black speakers on each side.

link to store.hp.com

11. syllopsium says:

All my monitors are still 4:3! I have a HP IPS 1600×1200 TFT (bought second hand), two IBM C220p CRTs (with rather unusual DVI-A connectors, also 2nd hand), a Viewsonic VP730 (1280×1024, 17″ TN), and a Trimon Tridef 19″ passive 3D Monitor (TN again).

When a CRT dies I’m going for the 27″ 1440p IPS. The Trimon is great for gaming, other than the low resolution, but desktop performance suffers.

12. malkav11 says:

If you live in the US, Woot is worth checking. I got a Samsung U28E590D (MSRP $400, 28″ 4K TN) for $280 a couple days ago and just hooked it up tonight. It’s huge and gorgeous and while I think I can see why people prefer IPS (which my old 1080p monitor was), I don’t think 28″ 4K IPS displays are going to be affordable anytime soon. If you can even get them. I am not sure you can.

13. GurtTractor says:

I think you missed out this one: 24 inch, 1080p, IPS, Freesync(40-75Hz), and a nice thin bezelled design for £120 – link to amazon.co.uk

Hopefully there will be a deal somewhere over the next two weeks for even less. Seems like a great monitor for the price though.

14. sosolidshoe says:

The Gsync premium really annoys me. I only buy a new monitor once in a blue moon, I’m still using my old 1080p 60hz BenQ from years back, but it feels like a waste driving that with a 1080(I hadn’t actually planned to get one of those yet, but my 7970 cacked itself), and the prices for a monitor that has all the bells & whistles to last me for several years – 1440p, 120hz+, 27″, gsync, ideally not TN – are monstrous.

I’m hoping I can score something during Black Friday, but TBH I’m not hopeful, HQ never put the *really* good stuff up at any significant discount during sales when I worked retail, odds are I’ll have to settle for a lesser model.

• geldonyetich says:

I am similarly annoyed. I spent about 3 hours tonight scouring the net for monitors, and what I learned was something kind of interesting, but annoying:

You can get a good G-Sync monitor for a moderately fair price. (The AOC G2460PG and Dell Gaming S2417DG are a couple such examples.)

You can get a good IPS monitor for a fair price. (Examples too numerous to mention.)

But you can’t get a good G-Sync, IPS monitor for much less than $700. (The big recommended one out there is the Asus PG279Q, it reviews the best, although there are copious complaints about black light bleed. The Acer Predator XB271HU is a very strong competitor. The Viewsonic XG2703-GS looks like it might be good but it’s sort of new and possibly buggy.)

I’m not putting $700 down for a monitor. Even though I wish my existing displays for my desktop were G-Sync compatible and I know my color depth could be better, I’d sooner buy an VR headset than spend that the same amount of money on a monitor.

Black Friday might open up an opportunity to buck this trend, but I’m not holding my breath.

• sosolidshoe says:

Aye, it’s a pain. TBH if it was around £350 I’d happily take one of the Dell TN panels that usually go for about £520-550 since the extra screen size, pixels, refresh rate and the Gsync would be worth taking a modest hit on viewing angles and contrast at that kind of price, but I doubt they’ll get anywhere near that cheap; from what I saw last year the really good items never go beyond a ~15% discount even during the “lighning deal” style affairs.

• sleepisthebrotherofdeath says:

Recently got myself a Nvidia 1080 too (and with a nice second hand xeon)

This week I upgraded to the TN version of the Acer Predator XB271HU (the stupidly named XB271HUAbmiprz). Cost me 500 smackers.
      Still getting used to the matt screen, but otherwise really happy with it. Huge upgrade on my 1080p 23” from (approx) 6 years ago.
      Was 500 quid a lot? Sure. But … it was cheaper than my graphics card, and I’ll probably keep it for a good 6 years, at least.

15. bfar says:

Agree on the 27 inch IPS 1440p – that’s the sweet spot. All that with 144hz and free sync can be had for £400.

The hi res 35 inch ultrawides look like the ultimate experience, but they’re expensive, and with so much new tech coming down the pipe, I’d find it hard to stomach those prices right now.

16. aircool says:

The biggest factor in deciding which monitor to buy is still going to be your graphics card.

I would have loved a x1440 27″ when I had to replace my monitor recently, but with my GTX970 only a year old, it was really stuck with x1080. I also wanted gsync which upped the price somewhat, but is a cool feature to have.

17. sundawn says:

on the 4K HDTV matter
    HDMI2 obviously for 60hz and make sure the TV supports a 4:4:4 RGB profile@60hz for low mouse lag that reduces the selection of TVs considerably !

I run a sony bravia KD55X8505 CBAEP as my main display and would not want to scale down anymore to any other size. fps games (mouse and keyboard) sometimes require me to move back a bit but my desk can adapt to that ;) . obviously not cool for competitive twich gamers with high refresh rate requirements but a blast for immersive gaming. anything from xcom to civ6 works great. indie pixel artsy titles sometime look odd but i can live with that.

anything not game related that sucks to work on with that display size – remote desktop comes in if i require the desktop pc resources.

18. Kamestos says:

I would be in the market for a new monitor, but having a 1080p 144Hz display already, I wonder what would be a decent upgrade. I don’t think I can go back to a 60 Hz panel so the logical choice would be a 1440p with a refresh rate of 100Hz, but there are few of those and they are expensive.
    Guess I’ll wait a few months.

19. Tafdolphin says:

Got myself a ASUS Swift ROG PG279Q a few months back and it’s been an utter delight. Fantastic image quality, 165hz refresh (currently the highest on the market I believe) and the best on screen display I’ve ever used (there’s a little joystick!).

Downside: It’s expensive, and difficult to get hold of here in the UK. I found a 2nd hand one for about £500, but new ones got for around £700 these days.

20. DanMan says:

TBH, if you don’t really need a new monitor right now, then wait for HDR monitors next year (probably around Summer).
    Or, if you have your PC plugged into your TV, buy a new HDR TV instead.
    You’ll only regret having spent the money, 6 months from now, considering that you usually only buy monitors every 5 years or so.

• wodin says:

It’s mhz more than ms that I find important..I made a mistake of buying a 60mhz screen with 2ms..when I should have looked for 140mhz instead rather than the low ms rating.

21. Scorpy says:

Anyone know if there is a difference between the GW2765HT and the GW2765HE?

The HE version seems to have identical specs according to ebuyer and they are having a black friday sale for £230.

22. Bury The Hammer says:

Late comment, but plumped for the AOC U2879VF because of this article. I’ve been umming and ahhing about getting something higher resolution for gaming, but also because 1080 just isn’t big enough to feel comfortable coding on at home. I work on a 1440 in the office, and I couldn’t go back. Colour quality isn’t as important to me as screen real estate (though, in a perfect world I would go for IPS).

So I’ve been playing around with it for the weekend. I plugged in my DVI cable and thought that my GPU simply couldn’t handle the resolution – it was very choppy – before realising that to make 4K work at 60hz, I had to use Displayport. Not hugely obvious!

Most games look absolutely incredible on 4K, but you need to ramp down the graphical quality a bit to get a smooth experience. Personally, I think it’s worth it. 4K 60fps Overwatch was captivating.

Comment on this story