Civ 6 patch brings loads of interface and AI tweaks

Let’s get the important thing out of the way first: YES, YOU CAN NOW RENAME YOUR CITIES. Thank whichever god is at the head of your current pantheon for that.

There are loads of things that I’d like to see changed in Civilization 6 [official site], even though I think it’s a fantastic game, and a new patch looks like it addresses at least some of my quibbles, including clearer tracking of amenities. The full changelist is here, and I’ve picked out some highlights below.

Sadly, these patch notes are quite serious. There’s nothing about cities occupied by enemy forces no longer being able to kill their own nephew, or plagues now killing people even if they have beards. You have to go elsewhere for that sort of thing. The closest you’ll get to a laugh here is “Adjusted AI understanding of declared friendship” because it sounds like precisely the sort of thing a scientist would say right before taking his new Terminator to a dinner party.

The changes come in several categories and since we’re already on AI, here’s the full list of changes in that department:

• Adjusted AI victory condition focus to increase their competitiveness in Science and Tourism.
• Adjusted AI understanding of declared friendship.
• Adjusted the AI approach to beginning and ending a war based on potential gain and loss.
• Increased AI competitiveness in building a more advanced military.
• Increased AI usage of Inquisitors. Especially Phillip.
• Increased AI value of upgrading units.
• Increased AI use of Settler escorts.
• Tuned AI usage of units that cannot move and shoot, like Catapults.
• Tuned AI city and unit build planning.
• Improved the ability of city-states to maintain a strong military.

With this kind of patch, it’s impossible to know how the game will be improved by the changes without playing for another forty hours. I’m happy to do that but I haven’t done it yet – I’m reporting what Firaxis have done rather than applauding the results.

It all sounds good though; one of those patches that is a response to the issues people have been raising rather than the kind that seems to have been created in a vacuum. As well as the UI and AI changes, there’s support for DirectX 12, a new scenario and two new map types.

Today you’re also able to play a whole new scenario called “Cavalry and Cannonades,” and settle on two new map types, “Four-Leaf Clover” and “Six-Armed Snowflake.” These maps are playable both online and off, and were designed to encourage more conflict by forcing players to move toward the center. For the full list of what’s in this latest update, please see below.

Our look at Civ 6 multiplayer suggested that strong scenarios might be the key to its future, so hopefully Cavalry and Cannonades is a good addition. And perhaps modding tools will be part of the next major update, so the creation of new scenarios and conversions can begin in earnest.

From this site

1. klops says:

Hmm, that patch list sounds a lot like my complaint list. Nice.

Zorgulon says:

It looks like they’re tackling some of the key issues, which is great!

It’s good that they’ve added multiple writing slots to Amphitheatres – it was ridiculous that one museum could accommodate an entire Artist’s oeuvre, but you needed two separate districts (or a wonder) to support one Writer.

I hope they add Steam Workshop support soon, too. Can’t wait to see what the excellent Civ modding community is working on.

3. MordreadRN says:

I really want a notification when that darn AI is trying to convert my cities.. And be able to ban missionaries from entering my borders.

• Pico says:

I guess you’ll have to wait for a modder to do that. In the meanwhile, get a couple of killer apostles, position them next to the entrance spot (there’s always just one, unless they changed that too) and the land will soon be strewn with missionaries’ bones.

• Rumpelstiltskin says:

I think unconditional open borders is one of the main features of religious units. It’s possible, however, to ask a civ to stop trying to convert your cities (even though it’ll most likely ignore the request). It’s also possible to just wipe them out with military units. It requires a declaration of war, of course, but it feels good and even counts as a “religious loss” in the surrounding cities.

• GenBanks says:

Yeah it would be nice if there were greater consequence to the AI breaking their promises. Like giving the player the ability to convert their cities in retaliation without diplomatic penalties, or even a ‘limited’ cassus belli with minor warmonger penalty for the declaration of war but which still has egregious penalties if you conquer one of their cities. That way, if they break their no-proselytising promise, you can round up their missionaries with your troops and maybe kill a few of their units to make your point. Perhaps have that option available only if your civ is fascist, communist or a theocracy.

• BTAxis says:

So you essentially want to make religious victory impossible to achieve. Why not just turn it off then?

• MordreadRN says:

I think the idea is fine, it is just not very well executed. As stated earlier you can ask the AI to stop converting but tey often do it anyway. And if you declare war on them for doing so you get the warmonger penalty while they don’t really loose anything. I think that forcing your religion on someone else should be hard. Now all you need to do is spam religious units. Perhaps something akin to spying could be used against empires that already have a religion. Slowly try to “infiltrate” and spread your own. Dunno…

• froz says:

I have just finished my second run today in which I have completely ignored religion. Turned out quite well, I could focus on other areas much more and religion doesn’t really change much. It was on Emperor difficulty level, perhaps on higher level religion is a more must-have.

Sometimes AIs were killing each other priests on my territory, it was quite fun to watch. In general I think most of my cities were atheist though.

Andy_Panthro says:

I would prefer being able to completely remove religion from the game. I find it little more than an annoyance. Hopefully when the steam workshop is open…

4. Shar_ds says:

I’m fascinated by 2k & Firaxis’ approach to community engagement with CivVI, they are just keeping very quiet and then boom, out of nowhere a big patch appears.

This seems to fly in the face of how most games are doing community engagement nowadays?

5. mtomto says:

Still no sleep/sentry option… in a civ game… amazing…

“Easy” to make a large patch when the game is so troubled by bugs and poor design. I’d refund my game if I could…

• Tsumei says:

Yeah I really need an option to turn off the aggro automatic troop selection at end of turn and mid siege. I really do not need to control this boat in the sea right as i am attacking a city with five units; but thanks for forcibly panning my camera to it, game.

• GenBanks says:

Yeah, definitely one of the most annoying things in the game… It causes me to accidentally send random units on long journeys to the other side of the map too, since it switches unit selection while I’m halfway through giving an order.

• GenBanks says:

Oh, looks like there’s an auto unit cycling option in the settings now, has this always been there?

• Vandelay says:

You should probably double check that lack of sleep and guard options. The crescent moon icon will make them sleep and the shield option will fortify (assume that is what you mean by guard.) Don’t know about everyone else, but I’ve had those buttons since having the game in the first week of launch, so definitely not part of this patch.

Don’t really know what you are going on about when you say it is troubled by bugs and glitches. My personal experience has been very positive and can’t say I’ve encountered a single bug, although have only put about 20 hours or so into it.

Auto switching to units that need orders is really annoying though, so glad to see an option to change that.

• dajt says:

What is required is the ‘alert’ mode where a unit sleeps until it sees a hostile unit, then it wakes up. This is (unbelievably) missing in VI.

6. GenBanks says:

Some good changes here…

Glad to see they’ve made the AI less fussy about receiving delegations.

Increasing the AI’s willingness to upgrade their units could make military victory more challenging… It’s been pretty easy destroying civs more scientifically advanced than mine with bigger militaries just because they haven’t upgraded any of their knight or musketman armies, allowing me to wipe out several of their units every turn with a much smaller force. And it’ll be nice to see city states that aren’t using stone age warriors in the information era.

Ericusson says:

I highly recommend cqui as a transparent mod for refining the interface.
    link to github.com

It is amazing the people of Firaxis released such a poor interface for their game.

8. Herkimer says:

Patch is possibly a little glitchy, though to be fair I continued an old, pre-patch save. I captured a number of Rome’s cities and, during the peace negotiation, gave them all back. Yet I remained the owner of all of them.

I also appear to be earning double Great People. Buy one, get the second for free.

9. BluePencil says:

Shotgun’s coverage of Civ6 continues to aggravate. Nobody cares about renaming cities when the AI plays like a five year old that’s found its way into the drinks cabinet. And it is, by no measure, a “fantastic game” unless this patch has turned it into one.

Still, I will give the patched version a go. I don’t have particularly high hopes but I shall try. If Firaxis continually make incremental improvements I will forgive them.

Does anyone know what Firaxis are like in the patching department? I’m used to Paradox games where their games are always getting changes alongside DLC. I know I can’t expect that from Firaxis, but how would folk rate them in the support dept?

• Zenicetus says:

Firaxis did a pretty good job of patching the previous version, at least the most obvious mechanical problems.

For example, Civ5 launched with combat AI that just couldn’t handle the new one-unit-per-tile design. It was incompetent and very easy to exploit. After something like six months or so, it was patched to the point where it could handle it better. Still not the world’s best tactical AI by a long shot, but it wasn’t brain-dead like it was on release.

On the other hand, they’re not great at recognizing fundamental design flaws and fixing them post-release. Civ Beyond Earth needed a lot more help than it got in patches or post-release DLC.

10. April March says:

Hey, there are some funny lines in the changelog.

“• Increased AI usage of Inquisitors. Especially Phillip.”

YES, ESPECIALLY YOU, PHILLIP. I CAN SEE WHAT YOU’RE DOING!

11. AceJohnny says:

– adjusted AI understanding of declared friendship

Does that mean that Caesar Tragan won’t declare war on me two turns after he declared friendship?

I’ll be honest, that one pissed me off. I had to burn all his cities to the ground because of it. Obviously.

12. miateila says:

The AI still is not updating units.

At higher difficulties, the AI skips multiple technology eras without using great scientists now, too.  But it’ll still attack you with a slinger late game.

It seems to maybe have a better understanding of the fact that it’s just going to lose some wars if it starts them, and appears to possibly be slightly better in that regard.

The AI still gets fidgety and moves units for no reason, still commits to wars that it has no chance of winning. I watched the AI try to take an island city state where there was one hex of land, and it moved one unit at a time.

And I’m still seeing Slingers and Warriors in industrial era — the AI may be smart enough to upgrade them if they’re in territory, but its not smart enough to bring them actually into the territory so that it can.

The barbarians, with their new mechanics, play better than any of the major civilizations.

But you can see the problem if you look at the videos of the game designers talking about the game, too. They play on prince, they don’t think tactically — these are the guys you have writing the AI.

Anyway, it’s improved but not by enough for me to move the game from a don’t buy to a buy.

13. Tazilon says:

Good game? Yes. Great game? No.

Patch? Worrying me so far. It does address some issues of player concern but now I have two problems going on: Many times when I zoom in more than halfway, the colors in the middle of the screen start to waver in tone and hue. This never happened once in over 200 hours of pre-patch play. And, I am starting to get crashes; again something that never happened in pre-patch play.

AI still plays worse than an alcoholic at 3AM early Saturday morning after a kegger.

Still see amazingly stupid stuff like a Civ refusing to accept a peace-peace treaty then counter-offers the same deal but with them paying me x gold plus y gold per turn for 30 turns. Why didn’t they accept peace for free? This is just horrible programming.

It still suffers greatly from becoming nothing but a giant, boring slog fest at about 50-60% of the way through most games.

Had I not already bought the game, I would not buy it full price. It isn’t worth it. It is a $35 game asking you to pay $60 to beta test it.

14. bruceroe says:

Does anyone know if this patch included both PC and MAC?

Comment on this story