What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

Weekends are very exciting for me up here in Scotland because not working means I have time to go outside during sunlight hours. Sunlight minutes, I suppose. But with all this darkness (solstice is December 21st, gang!) that leaves plenty of time to be indoors, huddled around fires, perhaps playing some video games? Here’s what we’re clicking on this weekend.

Adam: Diablo III is my game for the weekend. I fell back into it earlier this week, attracted by the upcoming Diablo I stuff announced at Blizzcon. I’ve never actually finished the base game because I have a habit of starting fresh every six months or so when I feel (as now) a sudden desire to click on a screen until everything is dead. This time I’m determined to finish at least once, mainly to see if higher difficulties are even vaguely difficult. I do enjoy the crunchiness of the kills and the central loot loop still satisfies me. It’s a podcast game. I’m listening to Andy Daly as I play.
Alec: This weekend I will still not be playing Dishonored 2, it appears. Boo! Boo! That’s OK, I still have a 27 hour drive left to finish in American Truck Simulator, which is all I really want to do anyway.
Alice: I’m back in The Binding of Isaac, trying to knock off a load more unlocks before the new expansion arrives (probably) in December. I’m already so bored of fighting Hush. I’ve not even unlocked The Lost yet either, stymied by level generation on the rare occasions I get the Missing Poster. But I do really want The Lost’s super duper items. Cara and I have started Dishonored 2 too, though we’re playing on PS4 and I’m still a bit wonky with controllers. There’s that Steep open beta weekend.
Brendan: I’ll be playing Guess The Next Twist in Westworld, a TV show about a super-realistic version of Red Dead Redemption’s forgotten multiplayer mode. I have seen some game designers comparing themselves to Anthony Hopkins’ character, the designer of “the park”, likening his philosophy with their own tenets of game design. They do this without realising: a) this character is intended to be creepy af. b) they are more like the uppity British “head of narrative” who gets drunk and pisses everywhere.
Graham: I have installed Dishonored 2, but not yet played it. I’ve also installed ISLANDS, which looks delightful, and a third game I’ve already forgotten. It’s lost now among my too-long list of installed Steam games I never play. I hope it makes friends.
John: [John has been fired. You doubted me, but have you seen him write anything new this week?]
Philippa: This weekend I will be playing… boardgames, I hope. There are a couple on my shelf which I haven’t had a chance to try and a whole couple of days in which to entice people to my house with promises of apple crumbles and other treats. If no-one takes the bait I suppose I will be eating my way through an apple crumble alone. I am entirely okay with that.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

From this site

1. Aetylus says:

More Atlas Reactor… I’ve finally found a multiplayer TBS that works.

And probably as spot of Transport Fever and Tyranny thrown in also.

2. Ibed says:

Hey, layout seems a bit wonky, and the title is missing.

I’ll be playing “pack for Spain” this weekend, which I’m not looking forward to, and “going to Spain”, which I am. Also maybe some Duelyst in the off moments (it’s good!) and 80 Days on the road, which might be an odd experience, or a very nice one.

3. Barberetti says:

I’m contemplating doing some overtime and upgrading my work PC from Windows 10 to Windows 7. Also, I have to put together a dedicated studio/recording type PC for my Dad because he wants to lay some music down and his main rig isn’t up to it. I lent him my gaming PC a couple of weeks back so he can get started, which means I’m on my spare PC which has a crap graphics card.

So … hmm .. dunno. I’ve just grabbed the 7DRL version of Cogmind so I’ll have a go of that at some point. Also, I’ve been meaning to check out that Doom map that John Romero did a few months back, so yeah, why not!

Also, fuck winter. I’ve already had enough of commuting in the dark, and I’m only 5 minutes from work. Roll on summer.

• Natramune says:

what are the reasons windows 7 is an upgrade from 10? not defending it by any means just curious

• Unclepauly says:

I know that W7 has better backwards compatibility with older games. It also doesn’t spy on you like W10. Other than that I hope someone can fill in the rest.

• Barberetti says:

Those two will do. Also, it’s shitty lack of update options, and by lack of, I mean none. I’m the only one left at work who hasn’t already switched back to Win 7, but that’s mainly because I just haven’t had the time to do it.

4. Agnosticus says:

Lots and lots of R6:Siege. Stellar game, if a little frustration from time to time.

And some Rocket League on the side.

5. Faldrath says:

This week I have been playing the Blackwell series, and I’m at the final game now (Epiphany). What an awesome thing, this series. Rosa Blackwell is a triumph, a lead character that’s actually believable (bar the supernatural stuff, of course), and the writing overall is superb. Wadjet Eye, I salute you – I’m already sad that I know the series is ending, but I think I’ll immediately play it again with the commentary on.

Oh, I’m also playing the first FEAR, which I never did, since Nuuvem was kind enough to sell it for a quarter dollar this last week. Very good gunplay, but man, it does put the “corridor” in corridor shooter, doesn’t it?

6. dangermouse76 says:

I just got my first months pay check from my new job so will be playing my favourite game of pcpartpicker hit list for most of the weekend.

7. Spacewalk says:

Replaying Death Wish for Blood, the best single player mod I’ve ever played for any game. It’s fuckin’ incredible.

8. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Dishonored the 1st here. Obviously been caught up in the D2 hype and am contemplating a purchase, but in the meantime I picked up a second playthrough I started a couple of years ago, reminding myself who everybody is and how cool the game is.

I was a little disappointed with Dishonored when I first got it. Think I’d overhyped it as a Looking Glass successor, and then it came out the same week as Xcom which totally took over my interests.

Realise now I was playing it too much like Thief/Deus Ex. This is a game about speed and movement and slicy-dicey death dealing. Enjoying the second playthrough more, which is always a good sign of a great game.

Probably need to pick up Dishonored 2 now.

• Fnord73 says:

Same here, and picked up the DLC. Instantly put of by how the world turns grey when blinking. Back to the maingame, where I now kill shit by rats like the lazy person I am.

• Zekiel says:

Apologies if this is incredibly patronizing but… do you realise the world turns grey because time stops while you hold down blink? It means that fumblefingers like me can take time to line up blinks to rooftops without compromising stealth.

It also means you can do overpowered things like dropping halfway into a room and then blinking onto a ledge you couldn’t see before. :-)

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Fair enough, but the DLC probably has the best levels in the whole game, don’t miss out

• Zekiel says:

I’ve been playing Knife of Dunwall (the first story DLC). It’s lovely.

I’m trying to play in a non-lethal stealthy way and resist the urge to quicksave every 30 seconds. Its quite hard. (Resisting quicksaving is even harder than the actual stealth itself.)

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Yeah, it’s great isn’t it. Think the DLC has the best levels, just really big ‘approach it any way you want’ style sandboxes. That’s what inspired me to try the main game a second time. It’s better than I remember, although the second half is distinctly worse than the first

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

EDIT: Actually ended up spending most of the weekend playing the Steep beta. Is it the good snow-based game I’ve been waiting a decade for? Could well be. Took a while to get in to it, the controls do feel a bit FIFA-y if you know what I mean. But once you get used to pre-empting your instructions it’s a lot of fun. Ubisofted up the wazoo, obviously, but it seems to suit this type of game. “Nah, I’m bored, find another icon on the map” and BAM your Skydiving out of a balloon.

Crunchy crunchy snow noises.

9. Beernut says:

Planet Coaster, the career- and challenge-modes mainly. I love the customization-tools, although I would have liked some easier way to connect longer paths. And since my gf plans to play “bake cinnamon-buns” this weekend, I’ll probably make time for some quick matches of “eat a cinnamon-bun”.

• pistachio says:

Lucky you, I haven’t had one of those since I last went to the US about 15 years ago. I can still remember the store (Cinnabon), without exaggerating it is one of the best things I ever tasted. I’m a foodie with a taste for junkfood. Shoot me. I do have good taste outside of the culinary arts. Honest.

10. Unsheep says:

‘Space Rogue Classic’ dropped in on GOG this week, I’ve been looking forward to diving into it. First I need to sit down with the manual and take some notes. I hope the early Elite games will eventually appear on GOG as well at some point.

‘Robinson’s Requiem’, which I picked up from the GOG Weekend sale. It has always looked very interesting to me, and I finally decided to pick it up and have a go at it.

Some sim racing with RaceRoom, since they’ve been upgrading and adding some new things of late. Plus I have something of a racing itch. I might play some MotoGP 15 as well.

11. Carra says:

I’m one of the lucky ones where Dishonored 2 runs fine on my PC. After finishing the amazing clockwork mansion last week I hope to spend a few more hours in the game.

12. kregg says:

I’ve had this week off for a holiday, so that means I’ve played and completed Fran Bow. What a disturbingly terrific game. I’m still trying to wrap my head around it.

Most of my week though has been spent playing CS:GO, Doom 2016, Doom 1993, Doom II, and Quake. Oh, and Bejewelled. Can’t get enough of that. I tried playing L4D2 with my Steam controller, but it crashed Steam! Hah! Once I tried it with mouse and keyboard, I found out mod breaks the game so I promptly uninstalled it (it was 12am and I couldn’t be bothered to subscribe to any other similar mods. The game online seemed dead anyway).

Talking about CS:GO, I’m actually am getting really tired of it, but there doesn’t seem to be many games that offer tight FPS gameplay mechanics – hence why I’ve been going back to Doom and Quake. I should probably try giving Serious Sam a go at some point, but I can’t think of any others. Also, the problem that I have with CS:GO is that it is purely online, while I’d rather have an offline experience (or co-op experience if I can bring one of my friends along)

• Palimpsest says:

Siege

• Unclepauly says:

While Siege is an awesome game and probably one of my favorite online shooters ever, I wouldn’t say the shooting mechanics are anywhere close to the tightness that is CS. CS feels like a game where they spent a ridiculous amount of time on just the shooting aspect, then everything else falls into place with that. Siege feels like the main focus was on gadgets and map design.

13. Vacuity729 says:

Having spent my morning at a school sports day in the sunshine, I’ll be playing “whimper in the shower, then put aloe vera gel on my sunburn” for at least some of my weekend. I won’t complain too much though; 30+ degrees and strong sunshine’s a fine thing in late autumn.
    In game terms, maybe Assault Android Cactus, which I bought this week? I see Armello is on sale on Steam. Is it worth picking up? I don’t have people to play with, SP only, if that makes a difference.

• Vacuity729 says:

It appears my right mouse button is broken, so I’m playing something that doesn’t need right clicks until I get to the computer market.
      I guess that means… Super Hexagon? One Finger Death Punch?

14. trashbat says:

Probably finishing Dishonored 2 for me. Without giving too much away, I’m quite enamoured with the later, time-related section of this game. I would guess it’s a mechanic that’s been used before but I can’t remember where, and it’s done pretty well here. Lots of attention to detail here and quite a fun thing to play around with.

15. Crimsoneer says:

I feel slimy paying the insane price, but I got EVE Valkyrie for the vive and I’m in love. As much as I love room scale, all I really want from VR is an Tie Fighter or Battlestar game, and this is as close as it gets

AutonomyLost says:

This weekend I will be playing my gorgeous new axe. Praise be unto it!

And maybe Hitman?

17. Cropduster says:

I’ve been having a blast with Tyranny this week, but today, all I can think about is Planet Coaster.

I’m probably going to have to buy it and forfeit any productivity for a while. I might try and find the middle ground by making a CRPG themed park. Plus all rides are going to play the music from King of Dragon Pass, just because I can.

• dogwaddle says:

Have you played Pillars of Eternity? If so what are your thoughts when comparing & contrasting the two?

• Someoldguy says:

I haven’t finished Tyranny – it’s taking me a lot longer to play through than most people thanks to constant interruptions – but I’d say Tyranny has learned lessons from PoE. The whole thing feels tighter with a smaller party, flexible spell system and well directed plot. None of the optional sidequests feel irrelevant to the main one. There’s no backer NPCs standing around cluttering things and no backer-funded megadungeon sitting underneath your base just for more combat/loot opportunities. If you have to pick just one, I would pick Tyranny to try. If you enjoy it then by all means get PoE. If you accept it’ll be more sprawling and have a few flaws, you’ll still have a lot of fun. I know I did, enough to replay the whole thing when the expansions were out.

18. NetharSpinos says:

I’ve started my second run of Tyranny earlier this week, but I’m trying to rush through Act I so I can nab the companions I actually want this character to have. I will also be continuing the delicious junk food of Carmageddon: MD, and mayyyybe GTA Online if I can find the will.
    Finally managed to get back into Total Warhammer this week too! Currently struggling through with the Beastmen, but once that’s done I will hoover up all of the dlc and start with…I dunno, Orcs or Dwarfs. Probably Orcs.

19. RaoulDuke says:

“I have seen some game designers comparing themselves to Anthony Hopkins’ character, the designer of “the park”, likening his philosophy with their own tenets of game design. They do this without realising: a) this character is intended to be creepy af. b) they are more like the uppity British “head of narrative” who gets drunk and pisses everywhere.”

Let’s have aspirations that games can be treated more seriously and have worth beyond being mindless time-sinks! NO! Wait a minute! I just decided all game developers are egotistical morons with no real talent! *bronx cheer*

p.s. – I do think Hopkins is creepy as hell though haha

20. rahji says:

Final Fantasy XIII-2. It has a batshit crazy story, but that is ok for me. They took the good parts of FFXIII and improved the bad parts. Good game so far. Performancewise it stutters a little from time to time.
    Also Rayman – Origins. What a fantastic coop game. There are so many crazy things in this game.

21. Bostec says:

Skyrim Special something. I need some funky mods. I built a trophy room in my house and its all crap, just animals I can display. I want to display humans damn it in weird poses and different states of nakedness. Also Pickpocking skills so I can drop poison apples on all of the annoying NPCs(95% of Skyrim)

Grid Autosport. I downloaded then I couldn’t be bothered to play as more interesting things came up like ironing. I do that all the time, have a urge to play something, wait forever to download and then proceed not to play it. Anyone else?

22. obscured021 says:

BF1 Hardcore mode! and I got in the closed Alpha for Mirage: Arcane Warfare which is fun

23. klops says:

Zombies, run! – the app. The apocalypse skies, no sun in many days and leafless trees make the surroundings very suitalbe for the game. November…

Not a very deep experience but I like the gamification idea that Pokemon Go! also used where you earn stuff and build your base with the kilometres you run (although I don’t think the base affects anything). Also the voice actors are quite good and British. Too bad I suck at sprinting and interval training is hard so the closing zombies steal my batteries and underpants too often.

24. Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

WH40K Chaos Gate, another one in my bulk purchase of old Warhammer-themed old strategy games. They are all awesome and anyone who disagrees will be soon visited by a representative of the Inquisition.

• klops says:

Chaos Gate is very good in some aspects. The gun damage/health interaction feels often very good, the enemies were soft enough, the yells are great and the permadeath is nice. That’s at least how I remember it.

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

You remember right. What I like about it is that it’s not just (the tactics part of) old XCOM with a 40K coat of paint, it *gets* the way lethality works in that universe and it only makes sense in that specific context. Both your marines and the enemies are tough and powerful enough to shrug off anti infantry weapons and grenades with impunity but that’s ok, because stuff that would be an expensive war crime in modern battlefields is widespread and readily available. It would be silly and frustrating in any context that isn’t 40K.

I’ll go as far as to say that this is the game that feels the most 40K I’ve ever played. I just had a mission in which I sent assault marines armed with power fists to punch Chaos Marines with heavy weapons on the ramparts of a Chaos fortress, while a withering hail of assault cannon fire from a Dreadnought mowed down Khorne berzerkers in the courtyard, covering the slow but inevitable advance of Terminators going for the main gate to cut off the Chaos reinforcements that were gunning for the ramparts. Once reunited, the brothers stormed the inner sanctum together to face a Greater Demon. Good fucking times. Play it.

• malkav11 says:

I think it may be the only W40K game that’s actually based on the standard tabletop rules. I mean, there’s Final Liberation, but that’s based on the Epic ruleset. And I think everything else is an RTS or a Panzer General clone or whatnot.

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

Yes and no. You can clearly see the tabletop inspiration but the mechanics are picked wholesale from XCOM, there’s nothing from the actual tabletop ruleset that’s actually implemented: your point still stands, though, in that everything has a reasoning behind it. It’s like the devs asked themselves: “How do we maintain the *idea* behind this stat, equipment piece or unit and translate it into XCOM?” which resulted in an experience that, of all the games set in that universe, feels the most as if you were playing a tabletop scenario.
            The one thing that’s been faithfully implemented is the limited distribution of heavy/special weapons within the various squads. It’s literally the same as in the tabletop 2nd edition, which is also the one I last played regularly.

As for the PZGII clone, you refer to Rites of War, right? I mentioned it in a comment in last week’s “What are we all playing?” and I quite liked it. I might even prefer it to the original Panzer General. Short version of that comment is: easily recognized units, cool special abilities and wargear, good implementation of Eldar mobile warfare and removal of frustrating puzzle elements from Panzer General.

• malkav11 says:

Rites of War or the much more recent Armageddon.

• klops says:

Chaos Gate was also very similar to the same developer’s WW2 X-Com-alike “Soldiers at War” that was published around the same time as Chaos Gate. It wasn’t very good.

link to bit.ly

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

Ah yes, Armageddon. Did you guys play it? Is it any good?

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Titanfall 2 multiplayer playing mostly Bounty Hunt. Started to get the hang of things last weekend and have been enjoying myself now that I can survive longer than a minute. The BH mode is great because it creates this loop of attack/defend where you are actually attacking or defending important assets instead of just an arbitrary “capture this point.”

• Anvilfolk says:

Glad to hear this! Bounty Hunt is great! It adds an entire new layer of strategy, and it makes teamplay and situational awareness that much more important. Wonderful game mode!

26. Mi-24 says:

A combination of Dishonoured 2, interspersed with Battlefronts quadruple xp weekend, rise of the tomb raider and my new peaceful of rimworld (on builder difficulty)

27. ukpanik says:

Well I planned to continue playing Tyranny but the game has ended. WTF, It feels about 30% done.

28. mgardner says:

Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun. After watching Marco Polo on Netflix, I have started the Genko DLC campaign and am invading Japan as the Mongol armies of Kublai Kahn.

29. Tiger666 says:

Returned to Everquest on the Phinigel progression server. Shadows of Luclin has recently unlocked. It’s packed and I’m having a blast.

30. Stragman says:

Playing for the first time Ultima Underworld, now on level 13, I am becoming the master of Stygian Abyss (though I haven´t found the treasures I need to find…).

31. McGuit says:

More Witcher 3 for me. Loving it.

32. A Wanderer says:

DEX, a lovely 2d sidescroller RPG that I just discovered by chance. You play as a young woman in a cyberpunk future. It’s good. The art looks great, there is a nice freedom in how you approach situations, wether it’s through hand to hand combat, gunfights (damn hard) or hacking and stealth (even though the latter is not really rewarding). They just nailed the cyberpunk feel, and it might be the best unofficial ghost in the shell game I’v ever played, actually. Main story is ok-ish, with big corporations, IAs and cyborgs, but some side missions are a blast. Definitely worth a look, and that comes from someone who absolutely hates side-scrolling games.

• lglethal says:

I’m glad to hear Dex is good. I actually backed on kickstarter but have just never got around to playing it. My bad!

Roughly how long is it, would you say? 5-10 hours?

• A Wanderer says:

Well, so far I’m 6 hours in, and I assume I must be roughly at 50% of the main storyline, but I spent a lot of time learning the controls and doing some sidequests, so…the steam reviews agree that it’s roughly 15 hours long with the sidequests. Which I think is quite good for an indie 2D RPG but some people might prefer to wait for a sale.

Thulsa Hex says:

After spending a fair amount of the past week hitting men in Paris, I decided to go whole hog and buy the rest of HITMAN2016TM as it’s currently reduced on Steam. I completed the Sapienza story mission last night and that level is truly as good as everyone says. The level and environment designers have gone above and beyond. I hope to explore it a bit more today.

Tomorrow shall be devoted to a mega-session of Pandemic Legacy. The last game ended on a major “holy shit!” point, but we haven’t played in two months. I’m looking forward to it a great deal.

34. pistachio says:

I have been dipping into the bargain bin lately, getting games I missed that were supposed to be good. A side effect of hardly ever buying titles at release is that you sometimes forget about great games. Next is Shadow of Mordor fully patched and matured and cost me less than a cup of coffee. Also got Planet Coaster but should have waited, call it a relapse.

35. Zenicetus says:

Finishing up Dishonored 2, and then a change of pace. I’m kinda stalled out on Stellaris until it gets a few more patches, so maybe I’ll get back into Kerbal Space Program. It’s been a year since I played it, and I haven’t seen the new stuff that’s been added.

36. Viral Frog says:

I will probably play a few hours of Divinity: Original Sin here and there. Maybe. More likely, I’ll be playing Minecraft, Spelunky, Lego Marvel Super Heroes, and whatever other local games my son wants to play.

I just recently purchased Minecraft after resisting for so long, and find myself actually enjoying it. Didn’t think that’d happen. I promised I’d build my son a huge castle. It’s not quite finished yet, but I’m pretty happy with how it’s turning out thus far. Now I just need to figure out how to get a controller working with the game so he can actually play. He doesn’t quite get the m+k yet. I’ll have to look into third party programs when I get home with the boys.

37. kud13 says:

Most likely, i’ll be shooting more men in “Chaser”. While trying to make progress with my Age of Mythology Extended Edition Campaign on “Hard”.

I might also un-install The African Knigdoms expansion in Age of empires HD and see if that fixes the custom campaigns for Age of Empires II HD.

And Maybe, if done with chaser, finally play Dishonored.

38. cvaldivia93 says:

Alice, you had me at Scotland! My wife and I (living in South Carolina) have recently discovered the show “Still Game”, and love it.

Oh, games… Talos: Road to Gehenna. Fun stuff that.

39. dogwaddle says:

Been really digging Tyranny and I hope I won’t lose interest by the end like I did for Pillars of Eternity. I also have a CIV VI game as America to finish, which may end abruptly due to me fighting a war incompetently and not playing in a more thoughtful manner.

Ben King says:

I finally picked up alien isolation for console and started that yesterday evening. After really disappointing opening featuring a hard crash 10 min in followed by a npc script failure blocking advancement after restarting it seems to be chugging right along. No alien threat has arrived as of yet so for now I’m more desperate to find those eerily pinging save points to back up my progress than to protect myself from monsters. In spite of the rocky start it really does look and sound stunning. People weren’t kidding in describing it’s devotion to the feel of the Alien movie.

41. Gomer_Pyle says:

I am hoping to get some Don’t Starve in (either the SP or trying out the “A New Reign” Beta) and hopefully some Divine Divinity (picked it up on the GoG monstrous sale) as well.

42. Shiloh says:

Bit of ASL on Vassal, then Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa I reckon, while studiously avoiding any discussion of “Blackpool”, “Ed Balls”, or “Louise FTW”…

zinzan says:

Combat Mission PBeM turns as always, possibly some Dirt 3 – just to see what it’s like), and maybe get started on Pillars of Eternity.
      I’ve also got to start the fun game of designing a PC for youngest daughter, using parts replaced from my PC in it’s next upgrade and new where necessary.

43. malkav11 says:

Things we do every weekend: try to conquer the world…also, WoW: Legion world questing and Hex: Shards of Fate – at least my weekly draft, mebbe more.

But more important, the stuff I may someday get to the point of finishing, unlike WoW or Hex. Namely, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I finally got past where it graphically glitched on me so I have done a bunch of main quests (including a severely anticlimactic bank heist where I’d already killed almost everyone in the entire bank) and am working on one last side quest before I take another trip out of town. The Harvester, that is.

But I also picked up Tyranny, unable to wait anymore, and am currently somewhere in the midst of Act 1. I expect there will be a bunch of that as well. So far I really enjoy it and being able, indeed encouraged, to be properly evil, although the combat’s still not great.

44. SBLux says:

I finally got around to playing Underrail and I am loving its retro RPG goodness.

45. lglethal says:

As I’ve probably said every weekend for like the last month trying to finish Deus Ex:MD, a Thief 4 master difficulty playthrough, a D:OS playthrough, and a stellaris campaign.

I really need to find more time, this thing called real life just keeps getting in the way. It’s damn annoying, I can tell you!

46. aircool says:

Giving Battlefield 1 a go, but once again, another game that has shitty colourblind modes. Every mode is just as bad as the standard colours… when will developers realise that being able to choose our own colours along with different icons is the way forward :(

Too add insult to injury, if you use a colourblind mode, the outlines of enemies and friendlies still use the standard mode which just makes it even more confusing.

particlese says:

Thumper.

The game is a real bear sometimes, especially when you lose the rhythm for a moment, but it otherwise continues to be immensely satisfying to play. As far as I’m concerned, Devil Daggers takes the exciting cake, but this gets the satisfying one. I just hit world 5 and am loving the general feel of it (five beat mea—OMG… o_o *research* AGHHH! Just realized the world numbers are also the beats per measure. Awesome. This may change things for the even-better.) …Um. Sooo, I think the level 5-4 to 5-5 stretch is my favorite part of the game so far. Really fun and, again, satisfying.

Less excitedly, I’d like to make a public service announcement that Elder Scrolls Online has a free weekend going on right now on Steam, if you’re up for a download in the neighborhood of 40GB. Maybe not worth it for the day and change that’s left, but it’s also been squashed down to 10-ish moneydollars/~£7 for the base game for a few days further. Worth a look, I think, if you’re not completely opposed to the idea of having (quite) a bit of MMO in your Elder Scrolls, and you don’t have bandwidth caps to worry about this weekend.

But man, I gotta go play more Thumper after that epiphany.

48. buschap says:

I unlocked the Lost back before Afterbirth when it was that weird roundabout method. The new method is much easier, but more annoying in its way due to the randomness. I’d recommend editing a character to start with the trinket to just get the unlock done.

Similarly, after doing most of the Keeper’s unlocks, I had a good run at Mega Satan that went awry in the Cathedral. After that, I edited the character to start with Swallowed Penny and remove the starting bomb, figuring that was the same as restarting and bombing the first pot I see until I get Swallowed Penny.

49. RaymondQSmuckles says:

Working through a long long (freakin’ LONG) Steam backlog. DiRT 3 was free and I’m playing the hell out of it, and now that I possess a damn fine gaming rig again, Skyrim SE has proven to be a fine distraction. Just found an ENB mod for Call of Duty 2 and took it for another spin. I had forgotten how brilliant CoD2 is at creating tense firefights, even just in the tutorial stage.

magogjack says:

Going to finish The Evil Within + DLC and hopefully check out Atlas Reactor as it looks like it scratches a lot of itches.

Comment on this story