Dishonored 2 will add New Game+ mode

Arkane Studios are still working on improving the technical side of Dishonored 2 [official site] but that’s not all. December will bring a free content update including a New Game+ and custom difficulty settings, for folks who fancy more power or more challenge. Don’t forget another performance patch will probably arrive this week.

Publishers Bethesda Softworks explained in a blog post on Friday:

“In a free update, Dishonored 2 will include a New Game + mode and new custom difficulty settings.”

Yep, that’s all they have to say for now. More details are promised “in the coming weeks”.

New Game+, I’ll explain for those not ‘down with the lingo’, usually means that after finishing the game you get to start over while keeping all the upgrades and whatnot you had at the end. Given how wild some of Dishonored 2’s abilities get, it should be pretty fun/interesting to play through early sections with end-game powers.

Before then, update 1.2 is estimated to arrive some time this week, bringing more performance improvements and other fixes. While our Alec has struggled with performance on his computers, Adam got by just fine and will tell you it’s a flipping great game.

[Disclosure: my flatmate/platonic life partner Cara Ellison (also a former RPS columnist) wrote a bit for Dishonored 2. We’ve played a bit together (on PS4) and have yet to reach anything where she cries “I wrote that!”, though our progress was hindered by me insisting upon throwing glasses of whisky at people’s faces.]

From this site

1. lglethal says:

“our progress was hindered by me insisting upon throwing glasses of whisky at people’s faces.”

And in the game? :P

2. Halk says:

Cool. More stuff I can’t use because the game is still freaking broken. Yes, I bet it’ll still be broken in December.

3. suibhne says:

The bad news for me was that it took 2-3 hours just to stumble on the right combo on in-game and out-of-game settings to make it playable…on a 1080, no less. The good news is that, since that achievement, performance has been rock-solid and settings are still reasonably high.

4. fish99 says:

Decided to stop playing it until it stutters a bit less, and hopefully there’s some solution in the works for TXAA looking so blurry.

cheese lol says:

Are you sure it’s not adaptive resolution causing the blurriness? As far as I understand it, if adaptive resolution isn’t set to 100 the game renders at a resolution lower than that of the display and upscales the final image. Each time the game starts it sets adaptive resolution to 75. I don’t think the beta patch fixed that. To avoid blurriness, you have to verify adaptive resolution is set to 100 each time you start the game.

• fish99 says:

Nah it’s not adaptive resolution, I know it resets and I always set it to 100% when I launch the game. Test it for yourself, compare TXAA, FSAA and no AA. TXAA is very very blurry.

5. Zenicetus says:

I know it’s no fun hearing this if you’re one of those having problems, but on my GTX970 system I’ve had no problems at all. Just a data point there.

I’m a bit skeptical about how well New Game+ will work for this particular game. It’s similar to the first Dishonored, in that your powers are so strong by the end that you’re basically just having fun setting up different moves for style points.

I don’t see how a New Game+ mode could be balanced against that. Raising the hit points of guards would work for a combat approach, but stealth takedowns and kills will bypass that. Those early missions will be trivially easy with full powers. I guess that’s the point… just extend the game for style moves. The videos will be awesome, at least.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Yes, ditto. Took the plunge yesterday and picked it up. No issues on my GTX 970 system. Can’t quite manage Ultra on everything (at 1440p, note) but turning off AA has made it very playable indeed even with everything else up max.

One of the lucky ones I guess.

• fish99 says:

The problems don’t really show up until you get to the 2nd full level.

heretic says:

I feel like the stuttering might have something to do with the AI behaviour?

In Stilton’s manor I had a lot of stuttering if I suddenly alerted many guards at the same time, then it really slowed down a lot. Otherwise the only other time was maybe 2nd level when moving the view quickly it seemed to slow down a bit.

Overall it was fine though, played it in auto settings.

6. v1tr1ol says:

“free update” wow, omfg Bethesda, really, thank you so much… I will wait for 6 more months for all the patches to come out and optimization just in time when it gets cracked.

7. Carra says:

16 hours far into my Emily low chaos run and still nowhere near finished. If I do end up replaying the game it’ll probably be as Corvo ultra-violent run instead of the game+ mode.

heretic says:

Took me 31 hours on very hard playing as Emily in mostly low Chaos (except the first level which I figured I would murder everyone who conspired against me, whereas in later levels the guards are often just guards).

I was pretty thorough though and usually picked up every single bonecharm and visited all side locations.

8. StAUG says:

I’m hoping a new game+ would let you take the number of runes/skill points you unlocked on your first playthrough into a run with the other character.

• h_ashman says:

Same, would be a bit annoying if you’re only allowed to play NG+ as the character you played in the 1st playthrough. Would also quite like the option to reset all of the runes and re-spec a character to go from “Ghost” to “Rampage”.

Comment on this story