Have You Played… Renegade Ops?

Want to shoot at something for twenty minutes and blow up a building while driving a truck and then throw your gamepad away and forget it ever happened? Here’s Renegade Ops.

In Renegade Ops you drive a little vehicle. It could be a Humvee, it could be a dune buggy. It will have a gun. Shoot the bad things, blow them up. Get that power up. Explode. Start again. It’s about as classical and arcadey as a shmup can get, with Micro Machines style driving, limited lives and special powers, including, for some reason, the ability to summon ant-lions as Half-Life’s Gordon Freeman. It has also got some nice dust.

It’s reminiscent of those old SNES games, Jungle Strike and Desert Strike. Simple muckabouts consisting of moving, shooting and having a bit of a militaristic jolly. Here, that tone is indulged in over-the-top comic book style, which does the game a lot of favours. If it had tried to include even one ounce of seriousness, you would throw it down the nearest manhole. As such, it resists that, resulting in a steadfast, decent, reliable action game where you know exactly what you’re getting. A few hours later, you’ll forget all about it. But that’s fine, you had a good time.

From this site

1. Michael Fogg says:

I got it for free on Steam at some point, but it’s crap. The top down perspective makes it a game of ‘shoot at edge of the screen’ all the time.

2. PancakeWizard says:

It’s a fun little arcade co-op game.

• Person of Interest says:

Agreed. The dynamic split-screen is excellent, and the more explodey-sounds coming from your TV all at once, the better.

I imagine the game would be a total slog if played singleplayer with keyboard and mouse, though.

3. Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

Yes I have, with glee, reckless abandon and massive collateral damage! Loved it, silly little thing that it is.
    I raged hard at first, the tank controls on a keyboard were driving me insane. I managed to find the twin stick option for WASD only a few hours into my playthrough and I ended up sticking with the tank controls I had, by then, gotten used to. This, in turn, ended up being excellent training for my beloved (and way harder) Brigador. Part of me thinks I kinda owe a beer to Renegade Ops for this reason alone.

4. G-Lord says:

It’s especially fun in couch co-op.

5. fuggles says:

Phenomenally fun game, ruined by time limit. Support was atrocious, took weeks to get it running with no help from avalanche and people still never got it running – they really got a free pass on that.

However, would love a sequel…

• spectone says:

I agree the time limit sucks especially in some later missions but I had no problems getting it running. The game is still fun despite its flaws.

6. Bobtree says:

I liked Renegade Ops, but more of the game should have had the open ended design of the first map, and the final map and boss fight were not fun.

7. Winged Nazgul says:

Wow, I completely forgot about this game!

8. gsilver says:

I ‘member this game.
    TotalBiscuit was talking it up a lot, so I tried it out… It was very “OK”

9. kwyjibo says:

Got it free on Steam from a Sega promotion (I think). Tried playing it once, it felt rubbish on keyboard/mouse, but it’s probably worth a shot with a controller.

Comment on this story