New Humble Bundle includes Grimrock 2, TIS-100

If you’ve any pennies left spare after the bargain blowout of A Good Bundle and premature ‘Black Friday’ sales, do have a look at the latest Humble Bundle. Paying anything, anything at all, will get you Zachtronics’ ace programming puzzler TIS-100 and the pretty throwback dungeon crawler Legend of Grimrock 2, for starters. Paying more can get you more games, including The Secret World and Grim Dawn.

It’s the usual Humble Bundle pay-what-you-want dealio: games are split across price tiers, and the more you pay the more you get.

Paying anything at all will get you DRM-free versions of TIS-100 (one of the best programming games, Brendan will tell you) and Grimrock 2 (Wot John Thinks is that he really likes it, and it placed on our 2014 calendar too). If you pay at least $1 you’ll get Steam keys for those too, along with Mike Bithell’s stealth game Volume (read Wot Alec Thinks).

Beating the current average price paid — about £3/$4 as I write this — will also get you Zachtronics’ factory-building puzzler Infinifactory (John’s thoughts during early access), the not-really-Dungeon-Keeper-y RTS Dungeons 2 (Wot Alec Thinks), and Funcom’s fine supernatural MMO The Secret World (I still think it’d be a better singleplayer RPG). Do remember that The Secret World scrapped subscription fees so that’s all you’ll need to play.

Lastly, paying at least $14/£11.26 will get you the action-RPG Grim Dawn too (read Wot Alec Thinks).

That is a decent bundle. Even the lowest tier is a ridonculous bargain.

As ever, you can divide your cash between the developers, Humble, and charities as you please. The default charities for this one are AbleGamers and America’s Multiple Sclerosis Society, as the Humble engineer who picked this bundle was recently diagnosed with MS. You can pick your own charity if you’d rather, though.

From this site

1. Faldrath says:

I’m a bit confused about the Secret World offer. If you click on the game at the Humble page, there is this bit:

“After installing The Secret World in Steam and starting the game you will launch The Secret World’s patcher. Click the Account button on the patcher to be taken to The Secret World’s account pages. Use The Secret World’s CD key to register (you can find this key on The Secret World’s page in your Steam Library) and create a new account. You now have thirty days Membership with no subscription required!”

So… is this offer only valid for 30 days then you have to pay… something? to keep playing? Or am I reading it wrong?

RaveTurned says:

The website for TSW is a bit of a mess, and doesn’t make the game’s pricing structure clear at all. The front page mentions Membership and a Free Trial. Dig a bit further and there’s an ability to buy the game that says “Buy Once, Play Forever”. From searching there’s also this post saying the monthly subscription the game launched with is no longer required.

My best guess is that normally you’d have to make a one-time payment to play the game, with an optional Membership subscription for certain perks. The bundle deal gives you the game plus 30 days of Membership perks. After that you can continue to play the full game, but without the perks (unless you decide to pay more).

• TheLetterM says:

Once the game is purchased, you have full access to the base game, and I’d warrant that would occupy you for several months at least. You can subscribe for perks, but they aren’t necessary.

However, there are late-game “issues” that are basically mini-expansions. Only a few come with the base game, and you have to either buy them separately or upgrade to the ultimate edition to unlock them forever. I played for several months without even making it through half the base content, so you absolutely don’t need them right away. I’d recommend trying the game out, and paying the one time fee for Ultimate if you enjoy the game.

2. Darth Gangrel says:

I might have bought it right away if it had the first game in the Grimrock and Dungeons series. I’m quite picky on playing things chronologically and still haven’t started playing FEAR 2 and 3 I got in a bundle, because FEAR 1 hasn’t been the right price yet.

In the case of FEAR, the general opinion is that FEAR 1 is much better, but disregarding that I still don’t like buying/playing the second game first.

I also got Trine 2 from somebody here at RPS, but haven’t played that either, because I haven’t felt like purchasing Trine 1 yet.

Looking forward to trying Grim Dawn someday, but obviously not this day, because I won’t pay 14 dollars for it (don’t care about the other games included, because of my rant above).

oWn4g3 says:

Add me on Steam for FEAR and Grimrock. Still got some unused keys from various bundles. link to steamcommunity.com

• Darth Gangrel says:

Thanks very much for the offer! I’ll add you since we have the same taste in games (my Steam name is Hurvl) and I also like that you’re from Germany (Ausgezeichnet!). I’ve been to Berlin with my high-school class, since I went to Deutsche Klasse, a really German language intense programme.

• chris@realmforge says:

I can only speak for Dungeons but it’s not necessary to play Dungeons 1 before Dungeons 2. They have a completely different lore.

basilisk says:

Grimrock 2 is not really related to Grimrock 1 in terms of either story or setting. Pretty much the only connection between the two is an exceptionally well hidden Easter egg.

And considering they’re doing for a quite different feel in the overall gameplay (LoG1 is aiming for dense and claustrophobic while LoG2 goes for sprawling and open), it really doesn’t matter which one you play first.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I’m probably exaggerating my issue with playing the first game first, but I allow it to influence me as a way of keeping my backlog down.

Lately, I’ve also started to feel like I want to do something else besides playing other people’s creations. I want to create something of my own, so I’ve started a free online course in Unity. Not expecting much, but I should at least be able to play around a bit more with games that I own, mod them to my desires.

• Jalan says:

Actually, the stories of both Grimrock games are closely tied to each other – it’s not just digging up the first game’s final boss in the desert in the second as a “well hidden Easter egg”. Even Toorum’s notes in the first game give background details that come into play in Legend of Grimrock II, not to mention the existence of the Island Master being depicted in artwork shown in the dungeon of Mount Grimrock.

basilisk says:

I stand corrected: it’s an Easter egg and a bunch of background details. I’ll admit I never pay much attention to the intricacies of lore.

But I really wouldn’t call the stories “closely tied to each other” because one, neither game has much of a story, and two, if you removed the number from the end of LoG2, no one would suspect it of being a sequel, because it feels completely standalone.

• Jalan says:

With your own admission of not paying attention to detail, it’s not really surprising that the first point you make is that neither game has much of a story. Both games, when played together, comprise an entire story – whether it’s a satisfying story or not is wholly dependent upon the person, clearly, but it’s a story.

Removing the number from the game would serve no purpose to your second point, but completely re-titling the game would since the setting changes entirely (but again, the bigger picture only becomes clear once the game is finished across both its endings).

3. Neutrino says:

Sold! TIS-100 was already on my list waiting for a sale and Grimrock 2 looks great.

4. manio22 says:

I am guessing “Grim Dawn 2 too” is a typo, since there is currently only one Grim Dawn?

5. Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

I got the lowest tier of the bundle for Volume and Grimrock, here’s a spare TIS-100 key for anyone interested (in getting massive headaches, I suppose):

7956Q-KY29J-XXIZZ

6. RuySan says:

Is The Secret World worth it for someone who likes RPG’s but not necessarly MMORPG’s?

• Banyan says:

I played probably 30-40 hours before the MMO-ness tired me out.(The only MMO that has held me longer is Lord of the Rings Online, and that’s just because that nails the Tolkien tone.) I think that’s certainly worth $4. I was intrigued with how it assumes that you’ll actually do out-of-game research to solve the puzzles.

• TheLetterM says:

Secret World is just about the most single-player friendly MMO I’ve played. There are dungeons and raids, but you can largely ignore them. I think it’s better when not grouped, because the mission intros and cinematics are superb, and I wouldn’t want to be left behind just because I want to soak in the atmosphere. It’s quest design is also shockingly creative and clever for its genre.

Having said that, there are still some downsides that come from its MMO roots. Combat is basically still “mash your skills when off cooldowns,” with a little bit of Guild Wars 2-style dodging and positioning. On top of that, there are too many mobs and they take too long to kill. Sometimes I wish there was a way to skip combat so I could go back to collecting quests and solving puzzles. The combat update supposedly got rid of the most egregious issues, but I went back recently and still stalled out because I don’t find fighting to be much fun. It’s just hard enough to require my attention, while not engaging enough to be enjoyable in itself.

7. Chorltonwheelie says: