“I’m not planning to go back until the Early Access period is done,” our Adam said after playing the still-in-development Endless Space 2 [official site], preferring to wait to enjoy the finished game. Fair enough! But if you’ve been playing Amplitude’s space strategy game or simply want to know how development is coming along, here’s word of the first big update. It’s expanding and extending the game, adding another major faction, the United Empire, along with three more minor factions, while extending the turn limit and adding the fourth tier of technologies.
The update is now live on Steam. The full patch notes are over here but Amplitude call these changes out as the highlights:
- New major faction: The United Empire, which features economics-focused gameplay based on the generation and use of influence.
- Three minor factions: The Pilgrims & Amoeba factions from the original Endless Space, and the new Z’vali faction have been added.
- Minor faction quests: Players can now assimilate minor factions through various special quests.
- Increased turn limit: Players can choose to continue their game after achieving a victory at turn 200.
- Marketplace: Allows players to acquire resources and heroes in exchange for Dust
- Technology Tree: Era 4 of the Tech Tree has been added, offering for more research paths, unlocks and buildings
- Addition of deeds: Players will receive special rewards for performing specific actions
£26.46/29,99€/$29.99 on Steam Early Access. Amplitude aren’t sure quite when they’ll launch the full version but their development roadmap says it should come after three more major updates. They’ve taken several cracking games safely through Early Access so I trust this’ll end well too.
Here’s a new trailer to introduce the cheery folks of the United Empire: