Steam’s Autumn sale has begun – here’s some picks

Aside from starting a new tradition of unusually-named Steam Awards, Valve have also pulled out their worn and adored bargain bucket and have begun to fill it with games you’ll enthusiastically buy and probably never play. Yes, it’s their Autumn Sale. In the streets, the apocalyptic jockeying for TVs and blenders has started. The moon has turned blood red. And I looked and behold a pale horse, and his name that sat on him was Black Friday, and sales followed with him.

Here’s just some general picks that I’m guessing a lot of people will be interested in (listed in GB crapquids and US dollar bills). I’ve ordered them in ascending-however-the-hell-I-like. Click on the price for the Steam page, or the title of the game for our articles about it.

Cities: Skylines is £5.74/$7.49 – Build large skyscrapers and pump raw sewage into the homes of your enemies.

The Witcher 3’s GOTY edition is £20.99/$29.99 – A monster hunter visits his friend, Robert Baratheon (includes the Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine DLC).

The Witcher 3 alone is £12.49/$19.99 – A monster hunter names his horse after his favourite insect.

DOOM is £13.19/$19.79 – Shoot demons who have broken their anti-social behaviour orders.

Dishonored is £2.63/$3.29 – Explore a steampunk city and play as yourself, a rat.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is £19.99/$29.99 – Bring equality to the streets of Prague by stabbing everyone with equal force.

Far Cry Primal is £19.99/$24.99 – Live your dream as a cave man on drugs.

Far Cry 4 is £12.49/$14.99 – A murderer becomes best friends with a fashionable dictator.

INSIDE is £11.24/$14.99 – Go for a pleasant swim with the girl from The Ring.

Dark Souls III is £25.99/$38.99 – Prepare to not understand what “poise” is or does.

Battlerite is £11.24/$14.99 – Dota 2 without lanes.

Just Cause 3 is £9.99/$14.99 – Far Cry with a grappling hook.

Rainbow Six Siege is £14.99/$24.99 – Defeat wave after wave of vicious walls and ceilings.

Invisible Inc is £4.49/$5.99 – I’ve never played this.

Civilization VI is £44.99/$53.99 – Cheapskates wouldn’t give you more than a fiver off.

Finally, here’s some personal picks:

Stardew Valley at £7.36/$10.04 – I bought this for my girlfriend three weeks ago and I have not heard from her since.

Stellaris at £23.44/$26.79 – Discover majestic stars, lush planets or mysterious nebulae, and then rename them “Toilet Bowl”.

XCOM 2 at £17.49/$29.99 – You have a 95% chance to succeed in this game. But you won’t.

Tom Clancy’s The Division at £19.99/$24.99 – Apocalyptic third-person shooter, set in New York during a Black Friday sale.

Alien: Isolation at £10.19/$12.49 – An otherworldly creature of unknown origin wants to add you to its professional network on LinkedIn.

Obviously, the sale is set to snowball, as Steam sales are wont to do. It runs until November 29 and it is sometimes worth waiting until the last days of the sale before committing to a bunch of purchases. You should also check out our best PC gaming deals. That way you can pick up the top things on your list in a restrained and educated way. Prioritising purchases to fit your budget sounds boring, but you don’t want to have to sell your other kidney. And anyway, this is Steam. There will always be another sale.

From this site

1. sincarne says:

ABZU is half off, and 2/3rds off for the base Fallout 4. I won’t post the price, as I see them in Frozen Canadian Ice Dollars.

2. Person of Interest says:

Every one of those synopses could be a top-ranked Steam review.

Normally I wouldn’t bother pointing out “another store has these games for the same price”, but INSIDE is on sale on GOG, and presumably doesn’t have the Denuvo DRM used on the Steam release. (Although they might consider patching it out, now?)

• Wulfram says:

Inside’s Steam version is having Denuvo patched out, or at least so a thread on Neogaf told me

• Unclepauly says:

Whatever could be the reasoning for that? I can’t think of a single one.

• FriendlyFire says:

Much of the reasoning behind using Denuvo, especially for smaller devs, is “this’ll prevent cracked copies on day 1, giving us extra sales”. They’ll often claim that they’ll remove the DRM in a later update to ensure that the game remains accessible and playable into the future, once the first month or two have come and gone.

This may be one of the few instances where the devs actually do it after the fact.

• Tannhauser says:

It is worth noting that Inside’s Denuvo protection was cracked weeks ago. That might factor into things.

• DuncUK says:

Then you lack imagination, I guess. Denuvo will be charging a licence fee, what developer will want to keep paying that fee once the initial sales period is over? DRM is only really affective during this period, after this point the sales are slower anyway and the game will likely have been cracked anyway. It does seem that there really are people out there that either pirate a game if its available or will pay close to full price.

• CriticalMammal says:

I can confirm that Inside on Steam is patching out denuvo. I just noticed the update today and it’s the main thing in the patch notes.

• thedosbox says:

I particularly liked the one for Alien Isolation:

On an unrelated note, does anyone have an opinion on whether any of the Just Cause 3 DLC is worth getting?

• Elthain says:

Id say Skyfortress is well worth getting since it give you a jetpack equipped with a machinegun and homing rockets that, combined with the wingsuit, basically turns you into Warmachine from the Ironman series.

Sea heist is pretty decent aswell, the rocket boat is good fun and pretty destructive in its own right + that dlc gives you access to the best heavy weapon in the game, this thing that lets you call down a giant laserbeam that you can steer around.

The land assault gives you access to mechs and a couple of weapons aswell, all in all good fun if you like the rest and want the gameplay extended a bit.

All in all if you can get the seasonpass cheap id go for that. Still think the biggest flaw in that game is that there aint a newgame +.

Hope this helps :)

3. DeFrank says:

Flamebreak for $3.39 is a steal.

4. Rituro says:

Also, thanks to RPS, I started following Crusader Kings II and can happily report it and the DLC library are also on sale.

5. Turkey says:

Is the joke with the Steam header image that it’s a “fall” sale?

6. notenome says:

Man Brendy, losing a girlfriend to Stardew Valley, that’s rough. Best of luck to you in these hard times.

7. Pizzzahut says:

Picked up Euro Trucker 2 and Cities Skylines this morning. Purchased Planet Coaster a day ago, and think I’ll probably buy few more tonight. But whhhy? I barely have enough time to sink into one game, let alone a half dozen or so. Leave my wallet alone, Steam!!!!

Herzog says:

Reflex is 50% off for only 4.99 now. Really nice arena fps with nice but small community, awesome tight engine and netcode. Get it!

9. klops says:

Are these even cheap or have I been corrupted by Bundles, such as the ongoing Grimrock 2 for €1, and my “I don’t need to buy them new” ideology?

zapatapon says:

I have decided to start undergoing treatment for bundle addiction. In order to support indie games I’m interested in, I am now buying them individually in sales at 66-75% discount instead of in a bundle for pennies.

I feel so good about myself now.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Brendan, you had better get on that Invisible Inc. train before you get stuck sailing the loser tugboat.

• Rainshine says:

Pretty sure I grabbed it in Early Access, and I concur, it’s a pretty fun and decently patient game. And then guards come and everyone dies.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Except nobody dies because you are a genius and you are commanding a team of spies that eat Kellogg’s Bond & Borne for breakfast.

…ok sometimes people die.

It’s a massive game of chess where you have nothing but queens.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Indeed. It is one of the best games ever, seriously. Everyone should play it lots.

• batraz says:

It is a bit hard, though… And playing in lower difficulties feels a bit like cheating. When you loose in xcom, you can blame RNGs, but here, I got sick of blaming myself.

11. Morte66 says:

Injured my wrist playing Doom with a Steam controller.

Bought 1979 Revolution, 80 Days, The Beginner’s Guide, Brother’s – A Tale of Two Sons, Door Kickers, Invisible Inc, Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 + Siberian Strike, This War of Mine, and Undertale for something a bit less twitch.

Don’t have room to install them because of Doom.

Bugger.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Right. “Steam Controller.”

• MattM says:

Brothers touched my heart and get a bit misty eyed but The Beginner’s Guide made me bawl like I haven’t in years. Is that a recommendation? I don’t exactly know, since that kind of emotional impact can be highly individual. If you’ve gone through it, then it’s a knife in the heart, but if you haven’t then its a wet noodle across the face.

• Ergonomic Cat says:

Daft Souls (Quinns’ video games podcast) very much agrees with this. Between his comments and yours, I’m thinking Brothers and Beginner’s Guide are things I need.

12. jezcentral says:

Those Steam awards are bit naff. I thought I would try nominating Hitman. I clicked on the link, read the award categories and then clicked cancel. No, I’ve no idea what any of them are for.

13. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

One Finger Death Punch for 99p. Don’t mind if I do!

14. Zenicetus says:

Fooey… the only pricier game I was really interested in here, that I haven’t picked up already is Total War Warhammer. Because I’m not 100% sure I could get into the fantasy theme. And it’s not showing any discount. Too soon, I guess.

• JR says:

When you think about the way Steam’s Review system works, it’s pretty apparent that any “Best Of…” system could fairly easily be taken over by some bullshit Reddit mob.

These feel rather light-hearted and playful, with no real weight. Plus it probably gave Valve’s writers something to do.

15. ropeladder says:

Some nice metroidvania sales:
    Headlander 40% off.
    Ori (new edition) 50% off.
    Axiom Verge 50% off.

16. cvaldivia93 says:

Train Fever is $2.99 (90% off). Any good/bad thoughts on this game?

• Konservenknilch says:

I’m giving it a try, at worst there’s very little money lost. I love transport sims, but I bounced off hard from Cities in Motion which I got from a steam sale as well (not quite the same, I know). We’ll see.

17. Eikenberry says:

i “accidentally” bought all the new Hitman episodes, Just Cause 3, and Mark of the Ninja.

Don’t send help.

18. geldonyetich says:

Huzzah! This Steam sale has finally delivered the entire series of one of the finest RPG ever made onto my hot little hard drive.

Although I have to say that the Humble Bundle Staff Picks seems to be delivering Steam keys for deals that dwarf Steam’s very own sales, albeit for seven very select games.

If Valve would surprise me by dropping the Vive to half price this Black Friday, I’d jump on board with that. No sign of such miracle yet, though.

19. TheDyingScotsman says:

Left 4 Dead is $3.99 too, one finger death punch is $1.74 (or something like that)

20. FunnyB says:

Why have you guys at RPS stopped posting prices in € (euro)?

• Morcane says:

Post-Brexit UK man, why care about those evil EUropeans?

• Jediben says:

RPS can see which way the wind is blowing. Farage will become UK ambassador to the US and we will become 51st state in 2022 during Trump’s 2nd term, in direct response to the German-French annex of Switzerland, Belgium and Austria precipitated in the name of Unity against the ever expanding Russian western border.

• Rince says:

You’re being silly! Everyone knows that after Trump second period the US will become part of the UK again, forming the “really really biiiiig UK” to be safe of the mexican annex.

• Isendur says:

Thanks, you reminded me I’ve got to rewatch “The 51st State” with my girl. Cheerio!

21. King_Rocket says:

Aussie Tax Alert: Doom is selling here for 26.38 USD, not $19.79 as with the rest of the world. (info provided for those that need it)

22. malkav11 says:

Homefront Revolution (which John liked-with-reservations and Tom Chick quite recommended) is $13.60 or so, a bit more with season pass. Or a bit less on Greenmangaming.

23. PaulV says:

“Obviously, the sale is set to snowball, as Steam sales are wont to do. It runs until November 29 and it is sometimes worth waiting until the last days of the sale before committing to a bunch of purchases.”
    I’m pretty sure they’re not doing that anymore and haven’t for a while now. Everything should just be off for the whole sale. They have some daily picks, but those don’t affect the prices at all.

Marclev says:

“Civilization VI is £44.99/$53.99”

I’m struggling to work out if that’s a joke or serious?!

25. Ejia says:

Oh my, Endless Legend is at 75% off. Considering how much I enjoyed Endless Space that’s a no-brainer.

26. MiniMatt says:

Oooh, from the wishlist I see Breach & Clear for £1.09 – kinda looks quite Door Kickers-ery (itself £2.24 & well worth it)

I might splurge £20 on the complete Hitman though. Perhaps that combined with Deus Ex and I’ll be able to get all thoughts of stabbing safely out of my system before it’s time to visit relatives at Christmas.

27. Rince says:

Decisions, decisions. I can’t decide between Dragon Dogma at 12 bucks, or Portal Knights at 10.

• spacedyemeerkat says:

You can get Dragon’s Dogma as the advance purchase in the Humble Bundle Monthly thingy this month. That’d means you’ll get several other mystery games ‘free’ on the first Friday in December.

28. nanotechnics says:

Good sale for sure.

Got Deus Ex Mankind Divided and Grim Dawn.

29. spleendamage says:

Picked up Technobabylon, Rusty Lake: Roots, Tharsis and Disgaea so far.

30. Javier says:

A monster hunter names his horse after his favourite fish*

31. Unsheep says:

My personal picks:

Just Cause 3 €13
    Just Cause 2 €4
    This War of Mine €4
    Rise of Nations: Extended Edition €5
    Knights of the Old Republic I + II €5 (€2.50 each)
    Jedi Knight I + II €5 (€2.50 each)
    The Long Dark €10
    The Talos Principle €10
    Rebel Galaxy €7
    Age of Wonders III €8
    Satellite Reign €7
    Valkyria Chronicles €7
    The Age of Decadence €11
    Dreamfall Chapters €9
    UnderRail €7
    Sheltered €5
    Shardlight €6

• MiniMatt says:

Seconding Rebel Galaxy at £5.09; the RPS crew didn’t seem that enamoured by it but in this instance they’re wrong :)

At its original price point I think I described it as a perfect £15 game, at a fiver it’s too good.

It’s a better Torchlight game than Torchlight. In space. Made by the people who made Torchlight.

32. StevieW says:

Sold!

33. Iainn says:

Just bought Satellite Reign and Sub-Level Zero for under £6 each. Cities: Skylines is also very tempting right now. My threshold appears to be around the £6 mark, anything on sale that looks remotely interesting I’ll probably just buy it at this price.

34. 1Derby says:

Darkest Dungeon. I am really late to this party, but looking forward to delving into this.

Comment on this story