Respect the Gibson: Watch Dogs 2 shows off PC pretties

The PC launch of Watch Dogs 2 [official site] next week might be a fortnight after its console debut but hey, at least our version of the open-world Hackers homage has extra pretties. Ubisoft have gabbed about these before and now show them off in a trailer. Sunlight light up the fog rolling across the bay really is quite something (“ray-marched volumetric fog”, if you want to get technical). Of course, there’s a world of difference between a good-looking trailer and a game which actually runs well.

The trailer boasts about features including high-res textures, that fancy fog, no FPS cap, field of view options, multi-monitor support, and multi-GPU support. It also shows off the stuff that’ll only be available to people running on Nvidia cards: their Ansel swish screenshot stuff, HBAO+ ambient occlusion for better shadows, “hybrid frustum trace shadows”, and other cyberbells and digiwhistles with long names. Yes, in the year of our Molyneux 2016, we’re still gating features for hardware. I know how it happens and why but it still sucks.

Anyway! Look at this lovely fog:

Watch Dogs 2 comes to PC on Tuesday, November 29th. Hopefully it isn’t a mess like some other recent high-profile PC versions? And hopefully the initial release will include the flurry of fixes which have hit consoles since launch.

I’m just sorry Ubisoft will surely have already removed the ha-ha-hilarious cartoon vulva on a character who looks like one of those ‘sexy’ Oblivion skins edited by a teenager in MS Paint. I quite wanted to see that.

From this site

1. MrPete says:

While that was refreshingly sparse with buzzwords, I wonder if I’m the only one to suspect “unexpected difficulties” and “driver incompatibility” to ruin all these “ready at launch” features…

2. ChodaBoy says:

“The uploader has not made this video available in your country.”

No video for the USA?

3. Regularity says:

Always be wary of Ubisoft showing off its “in-game footage” in its trailers. I worry that the Ubisoft Downgrade will strike again.

• Solidstate89 says:

Those are referring to things like the E3 trailers or other preview trailers, not trailers showing off the PC version of a game that has already been released.

4. LazyAssMF says:

Well we at least know what that means: AMD (and some Nvidia’s) users beware! GimpWorks at work here. :/

5. ahac says:

I have AMD… I guess they don’t want me to buy their game…

6. Jokerme says:

I’ll just leave this here:

7. Seafort says:

I generally buy nvidia cards but I hate the exclusive graphical options crap from nvidia with Gameworks.

I tend to watch their promotional Gameworks videos for games so I know what to turn off when the time comes.

With Denuvo, nvidia gameworks and Ubisoft all involved with Watch Dogs 2 PC gamers don’t stand a chance at getting a well optimised game.

8. sean says:

I tend to use AMD CUP with nVidia GPU as I prefer nVidia cards. But anything that is exclusive is bad for gamers over all. But I have know doubt that this and the new Ghosts game will be down graded. I mean this is ubisoft were talking about.

caff says:

The last one ran pretty well, but I will be awaiting reviews and performance feedback before buying.

10. Sulpher says:

Aw, the title had me hoping for a Gibson “Bridge trilogy” reference.

11. Person of Interest says:

One good thing to come out of AAA Gameworks games is that Nvidia often publish in-depth performance guides on their site, which exhaustively test the graphics settings and show both the visual and performance differences between them. Of course the guides are written with a “green team” marketing slant, but they’re often just as useful for AMD card owners.

Comment on this story