Inside opens up with demo, tears Denuvo from its guts

A demo of Playdead’s grimpretty puzzle-platformer Inside [official site] is now out. Given that John found their follow-up to Limbo a bit empty but Pip adored its animation and Alec enjoyed its dark comedy, you may have been waiting for the official centralised verdict of the RPS Advent Calendar. Our word is, of course, law but I suppose it’s fine if you start forming your own opinions as a warm-up for the forthcoming judgment. Oh, and if you’d been holding out for a DRM-free release, you’ll be glad to hear it now has one.

Inside’s demo is now up on Steam (look for the Download Demo button). It arrived unannounced yesterday and is a 1.2GB download. The demo starts at the beginning of the game, scampering through an awfully nice forest. This is my first time playing Inside so I’m thrilled to discover it’s about a child being chased by heavily-armed mimes. I wonder what he did to upset them so.

Inside also hit GOG this week, arriving DRM-free. The demo isn’t on GOG, mind.

As a DRM-free version of Inside is now out, Playdead have removed the Denuvo Anti-Tamper tech from the Steam release. It’s a doodad which basically acts as a digital bodyguard for other DRM, such as Steamworks. Claims about Denuvo trashing PCs and ruining performance are unproven (though accepted as fact worryingly often) but it does have a form of infrequent online activation so hey, good that it’s gone.

Inside is in the Steam autumn sale, down to £11.24/14,99€/$14.99. It’s also in GOG’s sale, costing a handful of change extra.

From this site

1. Halk says:

Very odd. I wonder what Playdead’s thought process was when they decided to put the demo (!) only on Steam, instead of just offering it as a simple direct download. The latter must be a lot less hassle than getting something published on Steam.

Not that I am interested in this game.

• Unsheep says:

Like you say, it’s probably very easy for them to make a demo for Steam. On GOG the game is currently more or less selling itself, it’s a top seller already. Personally I don’t think it’s a game that really needs a demo.

Some devs/pubs DO put demos on GOG, like Daedalic with their new Shadow Tactics and Silence games, as well as Night Dive Studios with their System Shock remaster/remake. Otherwise it’s usually smaller studios with tighter niche games like Zombasite, Shadwen and Infinium Strike that put demos on GOG.

However we have started to see more demos on GOG, they are definitely increasing in number.

2. Unsheep says:

The GOG sale price is €13.99, so with only €1 difference you would have the game completely for yourself, with no extra hands touching your business. Limbo came out as well on GOG this week.

3. Don Reba says:

Didn’t know it had Denuvo, but definitely glad they got rid of it. As for John’s disapproval, I find it’s usually a sign of a good game.

4. Kefren says:

Excellent news. I had been planning on saving pennies but I may have to give up on that. Maybe get this on GOG (none of my other wishlisted GOG games are on sale at the moment) and see if there’s anything cheap on Steam too. Party Hard was the last Steam game I got that really wowed me. I should play it again.

• Kefren says:

Additional (since I can’t edit comments): glad they removed Denuvo. I wish Steam flagged up Denuvo and DRM systems (basically anything that requires connection to an external server) – currently I use EnhancedSteam which gets some of them, but not all. I also wish Steam let you search for or limit to games that were truly DRM-free (so you can back up the files and install them in the future without them ever contacting Steam or any other system) – I’d probably buy more Steam games then.

5. Hamses says:

I wonder if this means that macOS and Linux ports are also on the horizon?

Comment on this story