Nu-Mass Effect’s absent races may return later

I write this with the hesitation of someone who worries it might provoke someone else into starting an online petition. “Boycott Mass Effect Andromeda [official site] unless it has that one alien that looks like a space-cow made of jelly in it!” But, I am curious as to just how much of the existent Mass Effect universe the game they don’t want to put a 4 after will cherry pick to remain.

Some familiar knobbly faces will return, others will not – not yet, anyway.

We don’t have an exact picture of who is and isn’t returning for Andromeda, but Eurogamer have drawn together various info from trailers and the slow drip feed of reveals to Game Informer (most recently this) to surmise that humans, Asari, Turians and Salarians are all returning – apparently it’s these who have all crammed a few souls onto big spaceships travelling to a new life in Andromeda. (More info on how that works here).

I guess they’re the most familiar faces, but that also makes them the most boring factions to return, in that they’re the ones we already know a bunch about from extensive time with them in the last games, so now Andromeda has to effectively redo them in order to create new tensions.

Krogans are reportedly going to be there too, but apparently don’t have their own ship. There’s evidence to suggest that one of the blighters will fetch up on your team, however. The short-tempered rhino-Klingons feel a bit less played out somehow, but perhaps that’s because they’re based on a clearer, more timeless archetype and their aggressive nature can keep them in the frenemies bracket without requiring elaborate new explanation.

None of the other existent ME races have been spotted anywhere as yet. This doesn’t mean a few of ’em them won’t crop up somewhere in Andromeda, but creative director Mac Walters has told Game Informer that “For hopefully obvious reasons, they’re not all going to show up in the first game.” My guess would be that ‘obvious’ means ‘we don’t want to do basically the same thing all over again.’

Leaving out the factions we know are there, those in contention to be absent from the new galaxy are Quarians, Geth, Drell, Volus, Batarians, Vorcha, Elcor and Hanar.

WHICH IS ALL THE BEST ONES. Apart from the Vorcha. Space-goblins are too obvious.

I’ll particularly miss the Hanar and the Elcor if they don’t show up. Actual Otherness, not just more bipeds. Fortunately, Walters goes on to say that absent friends may not be eternally absent. “We’ve designed the IP in such a way that they can all show up.” Even if these chaps didn’t get their own colony ships, space magic can solve anything, remember.

From this site

1. tikey says:

Bioware should at least give us more Blasto snippets.

2. welverin says:

They need to include Volus so we can play the little rolling balls of terror in multi player.

3. Zenicetus says:

I was hoping for interesting new aliens rather than tired old ones. This smells like fan service.

Anyway… are we talking breeding-size populations of Humans, Asari, Turians and Salarians (plus Krogans) on that ship? Or is this a one-off expedition and not a settlement that’s supposed to survive in the long term? If there are mixed gender Krogan aboard, they would out-breed everyone unless the Salarians have manage to smuggle some genophage on that ship.

That would be an interesting premise, but it will probably get hand-waved away in favor of shooting aliens in the face.

• MurrayPoopins says:

I think each of the races has their own colony ship, but yeah I don’t think the Salarians would be too chuffed with the idea of Krogans out-breeding everyone else.

• Nevard says:

I would have imagined that they’re all there to sort of set things up and that a full complement of colonists will follow them later, though that’s really just a complete guess.

If it was ever stated, I’m not sure I am aware of how big their ships are or how long they have travelled to reach Andromeda.

• LexW1 says:

There are new aliens.

But the entire plot revolves around the exploration and colonization ships sent to the Andromeda Galaxy, and the even larger “forerunner” ship sent ahead of them. There are four colony ships – Human, Turian, Salarian and Asari. The human one has over 20000 people on board. Minimum safe human breeding pop without genetic engineering or egg or sperm banks is, well, a hell of a lot less than 20000, so yeah, these are colony-starting populations.

• mattevansc3 says:

The mission starts off pre-ME3 so the genophage cure wouldn’t exist when they set off.

Also it does make some canonical sense. The four species listed are the four main council races and the ones with the moat financial and political clout.

4. zarthrag says:

There’s a space-Trump joke in here…somewhere…

Zorgulon says:

Some familiar aliens is nice, especially if they make an interesting play on the idea of colonists in a strange galaxy.

But it will be a great shame if we find ourselves in a different galaxy and everyone is still a bipedal humanoid of some kind or another. The minor races (Elcor, Volus, Hanar) were great in the original Mass Effect. Let’s have some similarly bold designs in Andromeda.

• fco says:

You have expressed exactly what I think on this matter, so I’ll add nothing more. I’ll still post this comment though, in order to show that you’re not alone in this line of thought.

Or, as people here on the internet say:

6. Deviija says:

“Actual Otherness, not just more bipeds.”

That is exactly how I feel and what I want in my sci-fi, not different colored pretty humans or pretty humans with bumps on their noses/forehead. When there is a wealth and world(s) of possibilities and creativity to draw upon, for true mystique and intrigue and otherworldliness to explore, and we just get a lot of blueberry fantasies? That is incredibly boring to me.

Besides, we are in an entirely *different* galaxy and I’d like to see more new species, new critters, new life, and new unique societies. Piling on all of the original trilogies’ species and dramas but just ‘in a shiny new galaxy’ would be such a waste.

7. lglethal says:

Alec, how could you forget the Rachni? Or were you one of those heartless buggers that doomed them to extinction???

If you were, shame on you!!!

;)

8. Sandepande says:

My tastes are conservative and I’ll be happy with another military sci-fi (b)romance novel with interactive bits. I’m pretty sure that they’ll come up with strange creatures, much like hanar and elcor, which really didn’t feature much in the overall plot. Everything revolved around the more relatable races, which makes sense.

9. Booker says:

Of course they won’t include all the beloved aliens right away. Because they will be sold separately as DLC later. :) This way they can even focus research it all. Which aliens are the players missing the most? Release this then. ;)

10. mercyRPG says:

– This is my favorite shop on the Citadel!
    If there won’t be such supercute shop clerk Asaris who were in the Citadel shops and were a LOT more beautiful than the ugly big name asari NPCs, I WON’T BUY THE GAME!!!

11. damnsalvation says:

Here’s everything wrong with EA, in their own words: “We’ve designed the IP in such a way…”
    Not “written the story”, not “shaped the universe”, just “designed the property”.

Comment on this story