What are we all playing this weekend?

This is almost it. Another few days and we’ll be barreling into December. Time for advent calendars, scarves, gloves, and mulled Irn-Bru. I’ll be trying to cope with the December news dearth by serving up old posts mulled. Cloves, star anise, cinnamon, and a nip of brandy and you’ll never know that Deus Ex patch post has been in the cupboard since July.

Adam: Planet Coaster and then some more Planet Coaster. I haven’t managed to do a great deal yet and The Last Resort is a bit tatty because I’m refusing to download too many community creations, but I reckon I’ll snap sometime this evening and just download an entire park that someone more caring than me has built, and then watch it work.
Alec: I’m going to play Burly Men at Sea, because I’m afraid that if someone else on RPS doesn’t play it soon, Pip may skin alls our cats/dogs/babies/Caras in bloody retribution. I might also finally play Dishonored 2 now that I actually can, although even the merest idea of the game now gives me awful flashbacks to weeping at video settings screens.
Alice: I’m still enjoying my return to The Binding of Isaac. I’d come to knock off some unlocks in preparation for the next expansion but heck, I’m away from that goal-driven play and just barreling through for funsies. It’s nice to discover my knowledge is still intact, remembering weird and useful interactions and opportunities, even if my fingers are slower. Maybe, one day, luck will let me get the item to unlock its secret character at a point where I can actually use it. Oh! And Islands!
Brendan: I’ve been dragged back into Overwatch, thanks to its new IT support character, Sombra, and silly new game modes, so maybe that. But I’ve also found myself wandering blizzard-stricken New York again in The Division because of the new Survival mode. Last night I was killed by a fellow player, who shot me as I was distracted by rioters then came up behind me as I lay dying and punched me in the back of the head. I <3 New York.
Graham: This weekend I am considering blowing the dust off my Vive, clearing some floor space, and trying out Google Earth VR. It was one of the first VR demos I ever tried and it was incredible for the two earthly locations I was able to visit. Being able to pop up anywhere on the globe sounds like a dream. (And like a dream my time with it will end after 20 minutes and I’ll have forgotten it within a couple hours).
John: This weekend I have been left in charge of my son, all alone. Within half an hour of my wife leaving I’d accidentally taught him the f-word. Where’s my No. 1 Dad mug? So there shall not be time for playing any games, but for sneaking in bits of work during naps etc. Sorry.
Philippa: This weekend I was going to bake a gingerbread house. It will have boiled sweet windows which will be nice before I remember I don’t like gingerbread houses. That is Sunday’s problem. Also it means that I can spend Saturday telling my mother I’m now on the property ladder without technically lying. It will be a gingerbread ladder.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

From this site

1. ButteringSundays says:

Redout for me. Best discount it’s had and I’m having a blast with it. If you like your old arcade speed racers this is what you need!

Maybe some Shenzhen IO as well.

• immaletufinishbut says:

Redout is the real deal, right! I mean, I was looking forward to it and all, but really wasn’t expecting it to be so damn good. I’ve been hankering for a stellar new AG racer for the longest time, and they really delivered. Gotta go fast!

2. mrwonko says:

Should’ve been Dishonored 2, but I recently started getting audio stuttering that is making it pretty much unplayable. So maybe I’ll go back to Metal Gear Solid 5 instead.

• Blad the impaler says:

On a lark I reinstalled MGSV last night, booted it up and went through the Spetsnaz mission, for old times’ sake. I was bombarded by a bazillion rewards, S+ level recruits and such – so I’m at a bit of a loss as to what I should do next.

I did a pretty much full complete of the missions and dabbled in the FOB stuff, but it’s been almost a year. I’m not interested in straight multiplayer – so, is there still gas left in the tank for this game? Is there joy to be had doing raids, or will I find a sea of ghost bases? Is there new singleplayer content besides impossibly expensive tech and gear?

• Imbecile says:

Dishonoured for me too, though am finding it slow going for some reason despite being a great game. Also rocket league.

Also is that fits fall and rendering for unreadable on anyone’s phone, or is it just me?

3. Spacewalk says:

I haven’t played Serious Sam for the longest time so there’s always that. Maybe see if Severance works on Win 7 too.

heretic says:

Titanfall 2 and Rise of Tomb Raider

5. jimjim19681968 says:

Doom. Blood Bowl 2. Half Life 2.

It’s the Steam Autumn sale!

I’ve also been finishing off extra quests and contracts after completing main quest in Witcher 3. Yet to do the DLC.

• Vedharta says:

I decided to skip any Steam/whatever sales and for that money get GW’s new edition of the cardboard and plastic crack Bloodbowl :-D

And ofcourse the Skaven team, Rats playing football <3

6. kelmorg says:

WH40k:Chaos Gate. SH:Deathwing beta. Finished Titanfall 2 single player (it’s nice) so will dip into multiplayer this weekend.

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

Oh, hey, I played Chaos Gate just last week, that’s a coincidence and a half. How do you find it?

• kelmorg says:

Looks aside, its a great game. The tactical elements are all there and the squad options and load out choices add a nice nuance to your missions. The Game is nearly 20 years old and i’m surprised nobody has picked this up and developed on it further considering all the crap 40k apps/games that have come out since.

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

Here’s me buying you a metaphorical beer in agreement. Enjoy the game and remember: blind missiles save lives.

7. A Wanderer says:

So I’m playing the regular Skyrim and enjoying it as I always did : a wonderful walking simulators while roleplaying as a lady explorer/cartographer. I even found a mod that enables you to use an in-game notebook, so I’m currently making a comprehensive archaelogical survey of every tomb in the Falkreach region.

I might need help.

particlese says:

I’d love to help, but Skyrim’s single-player. :(

But that’s probably for the best since I’m not too good a cartographer anyway. Usually end up writing “not to scale” and mumbling something about angles halfway through drawing someone a road map…

• hca2000 says:

It is actually possible to play Skyrim Special Edition with SkyUI but you have to use version 2.2 of the mod. It will display some error message about SKSE not being present when opening the inventory, but I find it works quite well even without SKSE.

• welverin says:

“The Skyrim Definitive Edition made me want to play Skyrim again, but then I remembered that it did not support SKSE yet, which meant I had to play without SkUI and a few minutes reminded me how dreadful the original inventory is.”

Comments like this have always amused me, because I installed an early version of it, used it for a bit and then got rid of it and went back to the default inventory interface.

8. Lord Byte says:

I’m going to try to stop playing Civilization 6… but then I still haven’t been victorious on Deity yet ^_^ So probably one more go…

Herzog says:

Reflex
    More clan arena and hopefully some rounds of ctf. Also the occasional round of ffa.

Quake
    Trying to reach the top of Firetop Mountain in Arcane Dimensions

• immaletufinishbut says:

A sensible decision! Only a shame more people don’t play, or maybe theres been an increase lately? If I only could play one game for the rest of my life, Reflex CTF would be it for sure.

10. kwyjibo says:

Duelyst again, it’s going to be Duelyst every weekend until the holidays. It’s just so moreish.

Might play a bit more of the single player elements of Runescape Chronicles, a CCG that refreshingly isn’t a clone of Hearthstone.

11. sege says:

tried Sorcery!; seems nice. Tried Doom; its too hard and fast paced for me (as a kid I could only play the original with god mode on), and a bit boring on easy. I can see why people like it though.
    Just finished Life is strange Episode 1.
    Wow! I’m on a high with it currently, it seems like it could be one of the best things I’ve ever played. Feels like the game I’ve been waiting for for 10 years; A true modern adventure game with modern graphics and controls and simple problem solving mechanics in place of ridiculous puzzles. The story seems very interesting, the characters are great. It’s made me laugh out loud at times, and be lumpy of throat and watery of eye at others. It seems fantastic, such a breath of fresh air. Just read the review of E1 and the comments for it and I can’t see where some of the negativity for it was coming from. It seems a wonderful experience to me. Fingers crossed the following episodes are just as strong.

• Vandelay says:

If you are already liking Life is Strange that much after episode 1 you are in for quite a treat. And be prepared for some more throat lumps.

• SlimShanks says:

Let’s just say you are in for an emotional rollercoaster.

particlese says:

Glad to see another discovering Life is Strange’s greatness. :)

I’ve only finished the first two episodes so far, and it’s already earned a spot amongst my favorite games. At the same time, it’s the sort of game I only play when the mood strikes me due the intensity of its roller-coaster. The things it does with its central conceit…

12. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Dishonored 2. Went straight into it after replaying Dishonored last week, it’s quite a nice way of doing things. I love all the new non-lethal options, you can properly batman your way into and out of fights now without letting any (well, too much) blood. It has been lovely sneaky fun, although after 2 Dishonored based weeks it’s getting a little bit formulaic. Exterior level, interior level, base. Exterior level, interior level, base. I should pace myself, would hate to get bored of what really are great games. Performance has been largely fine, just occasional dips especially when looking at intricate enemies like the clockwork soldiers.

One Finger Death Punch is the antidote, 99p in the Steam sale and great finger clicky fun.

• xalcupa says:

Also playing Dishonored 2. Would agree that it can get a tad repetitive but for me its not the locations, its more the repetitive nature of non-lethal approaches (chasing that “better” ending). Its simply more fun mixing lethal/non-lethal, so I decided to ignore “good” endings and go with what is fun.

For the record, for me the game has been smooth performance wise both pre/post patch. Have a high end machine.

13. DeathBeforeDiscomfort says:

32 hours into Pillars og Eternity. Brilliant game. Bought Witcher 3 and Undertale in the Steam Sale. There goes my social life et al.

14. shocked says:

Yesterday I bought “Life is strange” and “Oxenfree”, so I’ll probably play those for a bit. Also DevilDaggers, because I can do better than 211 seconds (or not). And Infinifactory (which is really a great puzzler).

15. H-Alien says:

Inquisitor….loving the story, just make sure you get the 2 companions very early on otherwise it is nigh impossible (even on easy mode).

• Unsheep says:

It’s a cool and really tough game. I remember releasing some kind of a demon from a tree and it basically killed me in a second or two. I had no chance. The game has such a great atmosphere to it, and ‘yes’ companions are essential.

16. aircool says:

Boring normal stuff here. BF1 and some Star Wars:Battlefront which I got in Origin Store sale for £22 and it includes the season pass as well, so I consider it an absolute steal, even if I won’t play it as much as other online shooters.

I’ve given up on FIFA 17 as on the higher AI, the CPU cheats so much. Actually, it’s not that it cheats horribly, it’s more that it fucks your players around so all those great passes and through balls that you deliver will go in completely the wrong direction if it would have produced a goal scoring chance.

On top of that, running onto a through ball that would result in a goal scoring chance will often slow you player down to let the keeper/defender get it, or you’ll start to run in slightly the wrong direction regardless of the joypad input.

caff says:

More Owlboy for me. I love it – the music is superb and the world and its characters give you a loving embrace.

I picked up Sorcery 3 and 4 in the sale, so I might start a run through from scratch.

And tomorrow I shall walk up a hill and have a nice pub lunch with the family.

• LennyLeonardUK says:

I just this minute finished off Owlboy. What an incredible experience!!!. Easily one of my top 5 games of 2016 and one that I really hope doesn’t end up getting completely lost during the Christmas rush.

18. z-key says:

Hooray, no-one was fired this week!

New Vegas for now. Probably some Civ V: BNW if time permits. I owe a guy on reddit to play some Drox Imperative as well, so I might try the demo.

• z-key says:

Edit: Drox Operative, not Drox Imperative

• Kaeoschassis says:

Drox Operative is a masterpiece in the truest sense, and I get very, very happy everytime someone new discovers it, as they’re in for a treat. Soldak’s demos are also excellent (Din’s Curse, Drox’s predecessor, holds the joint record for “quickest I have ever gone from discovering a game to buying it”, solely because of the quality of the demo). If you DO get Drox Operative, I would heartily recommend the expansion as well, as it adds an enormous amount of EVERYTHING, in the grand tradition of olden days expansion packs.

19. Iamblichos says:

Dishonored 2 here… I tried to download and install Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead after the review here made it sound so fun, but I wasn’t able to get the tileset working with the launcher thingy and all the bits and bobs. So I may monkey with that a bit more, but D2 is the main course.

Thulsa Hex says:

My friend’s brother has given me custody of an HTC Vive for a whole week, in exchange for letting him bring some family over for a short demo (he’s here for Thanksgiving and I’m the only person nearby who has a PC capable of running it). This has been my first opportunity to try VR, and I’m really loving it. There’s no way I can afford one right now, so it’s been fantastic to be able to spend this much time with the hardware without having to worry about monies.

I had his mom use Google Earth VR last night, and it was wonderful to see how quickly she grasped it. Within a few minutes she was flying all over, showing us the various places their family lived and worked—right down to specific offices in specific buildings. It’s an incredible application and I hope it’s supported for years to come.

I’m probably going to play a ton of Audioshield, today, and also try out Job Simulator and Tilt Brush. Looking forward to those.

P.S. Though I dare say I would feel the urge to upgrade had I a headset of my own, I’m very pleasantly surprised with how well my GTX 970 has been holding up with the majority of titles I’ve tried.

Thulsa Hex says:

Scratch that—I spent most of the the afternoon playing “Why Won’t My Computer Boot?” It’s no contender for GotY, I’ll tell you. After some trial and error, it took flashing the BIOS to be able to reach Windows. I’m unsure as to what happened, but thankfully seems to be ok now.

particlese says:

Any chance the Vive was suddenly latched on to as the primary display? I know I have weird problems like that every so often. Couldn’t get into BIOS just last week even though Windows was fine, and it turned out the mobo HDMI port became the primary output during boot after I hooked it up to the stereo but disabled it in Windows.

Glad to hear you have a chance to play with a Vive to your heart’s content for a while, at any rate. Have fun!

Thulsa Hex says:

That’s an interesting idea, but I don’t think it’s what happened here. For example, the debug display on the motherboard showed that the boot sequence was in an endless loop that would fail at CPU initialisation, and the second CPU fan would shut off a couple of seconds after turning on.

Interestingly, when I Googled the symptoms along with my mobo (Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK), almost everyone who had similar issues also had the same CPU as me: i7 4790K. These people tended to encounter such problems either when overclocking the CPU, or if they were installing the CPU for the first time in this model of mobo (before the factory default BIOS supported this processor line). In both cases, the recommended solution was to flash the BIOS to a newer version.

I was able to reach the BIOS menu only after removing one stick of RAM, and it really didn’t seem to be operating correctly. So, I flashed it via USB drive, and voila! Thankfully, all seems to be working fine now–and with both sticks of RAM inserted (I subsequently ran extensive memory tests and they passed).

What confuses me is that I’ve been running this hardware setup for almost two years without issue, and haven’t bothered overclocking my CPU. *Shrug*

Anywho, yes! Despite today’s drama, I feel very lucky to have had the chance to get so much hands-on time with the Vive. It’s fascinating and exciting–if still a tad fussy as a consumer product. It’s truly shaping up to be the VR experience my childhood self hoped would exist someday soon.

Thirith says:

Currently playing Inside, which seems to be Limbo through the lens of Half-Life 2‘s City 17. In terms of gameplay it’s pretty much the earlier game, but visually it is drop-dead gorgeous. The visual style is a matter of taste, but the framing, lighting etc. are amazing. Ironically, I’m finding the game less sadistic in tone than John did.

• mcwizardry says:

I played Inside for the second time this weekend and the camera angles, lighting and minimalist sound design are still incredible.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

My copies of Pokemon Sun and Moon finally arrived on Thursday so I will be working my way through Sun and giving my nephew Moon for his birthday on Sunday. I am liking it so far. Still pretty simple but a lot of fun. Soon that rad new Marowak will be mine!

Also Titanfall 2 because holy shit a multiplayer game where I actually have fun despite my performance. What is this madness!?

• FeloniousMonk says:

I was gonna say Pokemon but I was afraid there would be pitchforks and torches a-brandished.

I mean, I caught a Spearow and named it Spearow Agnew. How great is that? Livin’ the dream, right here.

Thulsa Hex says:

I got my Moon, too! I’m really excited to play it, but I’m torn because I still haven’t finished Y despite starting it this past summer. I don’t want to leave it behind, but I also don’t want to burn out on the Pokémens before starting the new one. This dilemma makes me think that I am a ridiculous person.

23. CartonofMilk says:

Keep on making characters for my WWE 2k16 league

And then in the evening play 7 days to die with my brother. Went back to it again since alpha 15 has made the game look a lot better.

24. dogwaddle says:

After finishing a play through of Tyranny, I went back and started two new games of it, which I have been playing somewhat simultaneously. Once I finish act one, I will take a break and start a CIV 6 game. Hmmm which ruler should I play as?

25. sillythings says:

My wife finally felt like giving Overcooked a try, and so we’ve both been enjoying that a lot. One or two levels so far felt like they’re made with four players in mind, but overall it’s excellent. The game really gets you to talk a lot (“Fries up!”, “Sending some meat your way!”,..) and trying to come up with a strategy to deal with each level’s layout and challenges is a great co-op experience (and very different from our go-to co-op game, Spelunky).

I also really enjoyed the Overwatch free weekend but I don’t really have money to spend on videogames right now (gah, it was so hard to say no to seeing the new Hitman available for 15$!), so I’ve downloaded Paladins and Toxikk on Steam and might give those a try. Also maybe jump back into Dishonored because I never played the DLC.

26. malkav11 says:

I finally managed to finish Deus Ex Mankind Divided over the holiday, so my weekend will be about working on Act 2 in Tyranny, sampling some newly acquired Dishonored 2 (provided it runs properly for me, of course) and perhaps getting back to Batman: Arkham City after three years away. I popped in on Thursday just to push it up to 4K now that I can, and ended up playing through the museum section and taking down Penguin. So I think more may be in order.

I also picked up Mafia III, Homefront: The Revolution, Templar Battleforce, The Room Two, and Traverser, so in theory I should have a look in on those as well. But let’s face it, out of that lot of purchases Dishonored 2 is the one in the zeitgeist and thus the one I shall play now.

PS: I will admit that I felt kinda bad hurling a kicking and screaming unarmed prisoner off a tall tower just to send a (written) message to my cohorts in Tyranny, but it’s that sort of game. What I was not so much expecting was the beastman prostitute.

27. fish99 says:

Just sold my GTX 970, so errr….. nothing. Gonna pick up a GTX 1070 on monday, hopefully there’s some solid cyber-monday deals on non-blower cards.

I could play something old or 2D though.

28. LuckyDenver says:

I grabbed a bunch of games from the Steam sale. Hearts of Iron VI will be taking most of my time for the foreseeable future. I’m sprinkling in some Endless Legend though.

29. someoneelse84 says:

I might attempt Cathedral of the Deep in DS3 again. My gamepad is dying though so every now and then it just stops responding for a second, causing infuriating YOU DIED moments. Cathedral of the Deep is not easy either, is it? Im no DS veteran either, getting frustrated… again.

Other than that I might finish up Shadow Warrior 2, which is getting a bit repetitive.

After a few drinks Ill switch back to PES 2017 which is the perfect “a bit tipsy” game due to its pick up and play nature.

subdog says:

I’m playing “Eat delicious pies for every meal of the day”, which I replay annually around this time of year until I die an early death.

31. Creeping Death says:

After the Dark Souls 3 DLC I’ve been on a bit of a DS kick. After replaying the third game again I decided to go back and play through the original. That WAS going to be the plan for the weekend, but I think Ornstein and Smough may have put an end to that. There isn’t much that I consider “unfair” in the Souls series but that fight sure is bullshit.

• SlimShanks says:

Ah, Ornstein and Smough. Luckily for you I am a grizzled souls veteran with an extremely helpful tip.
      Git gud :D
      Seriously though bum rush ornstein and then use ranged attacks on smough. Also there is a summon on the stairs down to the fog door.

32. Sorbicol says:

Having got over my Stellaris obsession I fired up Elite Dangerous for the first time since about March. Prompt spent 2 hours sat in my cockpit checking out all the changes and feeling a little overwhelmed. I take it I’m going to be missing out on a fair bit without the Horizons expansion?

Also, does it really matter if I do or don’t pledge support to one of the galactic power people?

Tonight I might actually leave the docking station.

• charmless says:

I go back into ED every now and then. I’ve considered pledging allegiance to some power but I think it makes you a ‘target’ for all the other powers, so I stayed ‘independent’. I wouldn’t bother as a casual commander.

moms says:

I had planned to work on building my fort (using all the soda machines, refrigerators, boxes, etc.) in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided,™ but, over the last couple of days, the damn game has just ‘stopped working.’
    Won’t even load.
    Windows is ‘searching for a solution’ but, I think we all know, it will never be found.
    The only thing I know how to do is validate the files.. which I did, to no avail.
    So, I’ll probably just sit around and brood for the rest of the weekend.

34. Darth Gangrel says:

I’m doing a free online course in Unity, so I’m playing the “let’s screw some things up in the pre-made examples and try to make them right again” game. I don’t know what it will lead to, but screwing around is always fun (not “and in the game”, only ever in the game, because I don’t have a life).

35. Jediben says:

I’m playing the ‘wait for my 1080 GTXs to be delivered’ game, followed by the ‘figure out how to hide the fact I bought two from my girlfriend’ boss fight and the ‘don’t open the credit card bill’ bonus round. It’s exciting :)

• LennyLeonardUK says:

I completed this game just last week. Telling my girlfriend that the SCAN delivery I spent the entire Saturday waiting for was just ‘a little something for my computer’, all the while knowing that it contained a brand new GTX 1080, was probably the most agonising wait of my life. Now I just need to beat her home on the day my next bank statement is due and I’m home dry.

• Jediben says:

I rarely buy things on Black Friday but at 499 for a 1080 I couldn’t resist buying two. Going to sell on my Asus 970s and hopefully make the cost of one back ;)

36. Tiger666 says:

Everquest, always Everquest.

37. Mi-24 says:

Doing assignments and trying to cram bits of games into the cracks. This weekend it’s clustertruck, enter the gungeon and a bit of elite dangerous.

38. Fontan says:

Titanfall 2. Maybe a bit of Arma 3 with some friends. But probably only Titanfall 2. I suck at it, but I have such a great time nonetheless.

39. Torgen says:

Picked up Darkest Dungeon Friday evening, and immediately fell in love with the whole presentation. May try some World of Warships for the first time in forever, and just dropped $5USD to get Infinifactory in the latest Humble Bundle.

Miscreated was (is?) half off on Steam, so maybe will have some friends to group with now. I tried 7 Days To Die after playing Miscreated, and immediately bounced off it.

40. geldonyetich says:

I surprised myself by booting of Elite: Dangerous and running some passengers… in a Fer De Lance, which is probably a poor choice due to its miserably small optional internal layouts and lousy jump efficiency. But anyone who wants to mess with my passengers will get more than they bargained for!

41. bonuswavepilot says:

Pip, as a fellow gingerbread-house constructor who isn’t all that much of a fan of gingerbread, I was sad to see that you are already aware of the boiled sweets stained glass trick: as it is one of the two useful bits of gingerbread advice I have to offer.

The other is the use of sewing pins (the ones with the brightly coloured heads) to hold the wall/roof sections in place while the load-bearing icing dries. This sounds blindingly obvious, but I spent several Xmasses swearing late into the night trying to prop things on random bits of kitchen stuff before it occurred to me. (It tends to be hot in Australia-land round Xmas, which doesn’t help the cohesion of icing either).

If you decide to adopt this trick, it is recommended that pins be removed before eating.

42. VeNT666 says:

I find myself after six years clean playing eve online again and it has its claws in me already.
    Even now while having brunch with the kids (day off) I’m trying to working out if I can get them playing with Lego or something while I jump on for a bit.
    The reason is less the game itself and more the players. For the first few days I missioned and was mostly solo. But as soon as I joined a new corp and started PvP again that was it. I was hooked.
    Already considering signing up subs again despite not being able to afford it.

Comment on this story